Cigarettes, alcoholic drinks to cost more

rooster59

1 hour ago, AGareth2 said:

do you have harriettes?

Most Hashes do welcome men (Hashers) and Women (Hariettes) to join in the fun. Phuket for example, has several Hashes - some for everyone, some just for men and some just for women Have a look at the Information page on here...  Phuket Hash House Harriers

On On....

Edited by VBF

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

50 satang on a beer isn't so bad. Given the horror story prices I have seen quoted in the last couple of days, I am quite relieved. Lot of people been getting worked up over what has turned out to be next to nothing.

That's for the cheap local brew. For better and imported beer, as it says' it will be between 0.99 to 2 baht. Mind you, you drink more than 1 bottle of beer per week... I figure, that each week for soft drinks and alcohol, it will add up to perhaps 50-100 baht on my grocery bill. And most shops will not just add 50 satang, but will round it up to 1 full baht.

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

Ah yes.........have to ensure that the extremely wealthy and influential/well connected owner of a certain winery here can benefit from increased sales. After all got to keep his son on the run and buy him a new Ferrari.

Who is going to buy "locally made wine" because a bottle is 25 Baht cheaper?

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

From the previous link....so beware of any shop doubling their prices. I think price increases are partly due to be measured on baht / unit of pure alcohol (not the total about of the beverage). 

My local mom and pop shop charged me 35 baht for a can of chang yesterday. Today it was 43.

Unless she went shopping this morning it should have been the same price until her stocks ran out.  But she translated a 1 baht increase into 8 baht (on stock she bought weeks ago at the old price)

I've been buying water, milk, beer, yakult, eggs etc from her for 2 years primarily to support the locals over the 711 cp guys. Hope she enjoys that 8 baht because it will cost her several thousands of baht in the coming months. Muppets.

Edited by JonnyF

2 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

it's a conspiracy

I know , they will probably lower the price as soon as I leave. but I am on to them, I will stay just to spite them.

2 hours ago, goonnerone said:

Wow up half a bhatt and your complaining, ok don't come to Thailand we won't miss you 

Whats with the "we" who elected you mayor of the welcoming committee? I was going to leave but no I will stay  just to annoy you.

3 hours ago, nev said:

It's 50 satang it ain't going to hurt your pocket, it will do if bar owners use it as an excuse to make more money on each bottle.

Dude, you don't know how much beer I drink:tongue:

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

My local mom and pop shop charged me 35 baht for a can of chang yesterday. Today it was 43.

Unless she went shopping this morning it should have been the same price until her stocks ran out.  But she translated a 1 baht increase into 8 baht (on stock she bought weeks ago at the old price)

I've been buying water, milk, beer, yakult, eggs etc from her for 2 years primarily to support the locals over the 711 cp guys. Hope she enjoys that 8 baht because it will cost her several thousands of baht in the coming months. Muppets.

Once the dust settles, prices will drop to what they should be. They are relying on punters not knowing what the real prices should be. They will be out of business if they try to overcharge when the show up the road is 5-10 baht cheaper. 

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Excise Department ex-|pects to collect additional tax |revenue of Bt12 billion from the changes.

Revenue for......

ob_5c881a_yuan-class-submarine-photo-pixnet.jpg

Corrupt power hungry ass...holes who don't give a sh...t about the people. Only the rich minority and their own power. Absolutely disgraceful. All Thais I know are sick of them, sick of corruption and are very sad for their country.

Edited by dinsdale

The increase on imported wine is ridiculous. Already extortion to get a nice bottle, now will be just not worth it. This is a direct tax on tourists. Once again, Thailand missing the bigger picture, convincing tourists to slowly but surely consider elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, coulson said:

The increase on imported wine is ridiculous. Already extortion to get a nice bottle, now will be just not worth it. This is a direct tax on tourists. Once again, Thailand missing the bigger picture, convincing tourists to slowly but surely consider elsewhere.

Wine Love Bangkok (http://winelovebangkok.com) will keep the same, low prices as before because it is old stock. 

Edited by PAIBKK

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Excise Department ex-|pects to collect additional tax |revenue of Bt12 billion from the changes.

Ministry clerk: Oh-shit . . . I thought you said 'million'. How many more 'nothings' is that I need to press. No wonder they're cockahoop about the half-a- baht on beer. And, another thing, just how do you spell ex-pats?

25 minutes ago, PAIBKK said:

Wine Love Bangkok (http://winelovebangkok.com) will keep the same, low prices as before because it is old stock. 

Not hard on those margins!

Laughing Bird Dry Red, 699B. The same 1.5 litres bottle of pish is in my local Tesco Lotus for 399B! Makes Mont Clair taste good.

On the winelovebangkok website.

On the Tesco Lotus website

Edited by naboo

15 minutes ago, naboo said:

Not hard on those margins!

Laughing Bird Dry Red, 699B. The same 1.5 litres bottle of pish is in my local Tesco Lotus for 399B! Makes Mont Clair taste good.

On the winelovebangkok website.

On the Tesco Lotus website

There are always exceptions ...
Never drank some (cheap) piss from Australia..

7 hours ago, thedemon said:

On the surface at least, it appears to me that differentiating the tax between locally produced and imported wine breaks the Free Trade Agreements that Thailand has signed with Australia and New Zealand unless wine from those 2 countries is treated as local for tax purposes.

Watch this space.

Just get NZ to put 300% tax on Thai Rice and that will set the cat loose, why do they put up with this tax to stop competition? time for all countries to react on this.

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

That's around 30%. Personally if I had other options I would have politely said no thanks, gave them a bit of a look (I know you're trying to thieve my money) and walked out. Wonder how much she/he was charging Thais. I think a can's going up Bt2. You were ripped off. They try it on every time. The can would also be old stock and should still be at the old price.

4 hours ago, seabear said:

Who is going to buy "locally made wine" because a bottle is 25 Baht cheaper?

Well the price difference will widen........imported wine goes up and locally made/produced here wine goes down. Hence bigger price differential. 

That's if the Siam Winery wine with fruit juice, produced here, falls under the "locally made" tag. and I think you'll find it does?

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Expensive, bought an entire slab of 24 bottles of Hollandia beer in Australia last week for $27, imported and good beer that equates to around 27 baht a stubble.   Thailand is now expensive for alcohol compared to the rest of the world

7 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

I know of countless Irish people who came to Thailand and could not believe how expensive wine is and that’s BEFORE this latest increase. A bottle of australian cheap wine like Jacob’s Creek is a real supermarket bargain wine in Ireland ( a longway from Australia)  but it is TWICE the price in 7/11 in Thailand. And it is not a good wine. Members of my own family have said they so much enjoy their glass of good wine that they could not contemplate coming back here on holiday. Add to that the ban on e-cigarettes.... well you get the picture. 

Your family are all alcoholics?