Knee Replacement

moe666

This passed Monday went to Rajavej Hospital in Chiang Mai checked my self in at 11pm the emergency room started the usual rounds of checks and measurments after they were complete went to check-in desk. Spoke to the lady there and was assigned room 903. Went back to Emergency room for one more blood press. check all ok. Wheeled chaired up to the room, nice and big a bit spartan but thats ok with me.

Around 1pm operating personal came up in a gurney and jumped on to that bad boy. Finally wheeled into operating room before 2pm, meet the lady with a big hammer as I requested a general she asked me a few questions and all good my Dr. was there suited up ready to go one question about which leg I told him left and we were ready. Dr. Chanakan is a highly recommended knee replacement guy here in Chiang Mai. He does about 40 of these a month as well as head of Sports Medicine at Chiang Mai University. We exchanged a few word and it was bye bye as the Dr. put the mask over my face and said have a good sleep.

Woke up in recovery room and the knee was killing me not from surgery but I needed a pillow under it for support. The guy in recovery had jacked me up with some happy land juice but needed that pillow. Finally was wheeled up to room and told them get a pillow under my knee OOOO what relief. Had gubes from the knee for drainage and one from a more private area for drainage, it was kind of cool not having to go pee. The bed was a rock and if I had stayed much longer I would have developed a bed sore.

The usual wake up all night for a blood pressure check, oxygen check, and Temp. all of which were fine. The Dr. came by earlier with a picture of the knee after surgery, he was satisfied how things went and I was in less pain than I thought I would have. The stay at the hospital non event full all the staff very professional. Dr. came again on Friday took a look at the wound says that looks good, you want to go home yes I do before i get bed sore. He says ok Ill set it up. Went up for physical therapy, they did there thing bent the knee to 97 degrees they were happy and I am back on monday for more fun.

The boys with the van came and got me into a ambulance bed right into the ambulance, they drove me to temporary housing as it has elevator to the floor I am on cannot walk up 10 stairs as of yet. Been walking around room 3 or 4 times a day as well as doing therapy exercises. Thanks to my wife for putting up with my sorry butt, I will write a few more lines as this progresses. Total cost till now 230,000b for surgery and hospital stay. Most of that incurred first day for surgery. I believe the Dr told the wife 210,000 after surgery.. If you have questions I will try to answer.

moe666 

Thanks for posting your experiences , I'm always interested to hear how people get on when receiving medical treatment in Thailand . Can you outline a bit of past history that led you to have the knee replacement surgery , did you do much research as to which Doctor / hospital would be the best ,  how old are you and was the cost of the surgery paid for by your self or private health insurance. 

my knee replacement was done in the U.S. in 2010

i was an auto technician for 30 years and just beat my knees.

i had one done and the other done 3 months later.

i was lucky and had mine done through medicare, cost me $800.00 for both knees and included rehab. facility.

keep an open mind and be positive!!

most people who complain about issues after replacement were not serious about physical therapy.

i have 0 pain

i go bowling 2-3 times a week with no problems.

2 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

moe666 

Thanks for posting your experiences , I'm always interested to hear how people get on when receiving medical treatment in Thailand . Can you outline a bit of past history that led you to have the knee replacement surgery , did you do much research as to which Doctor / hospital would be the best ,  how old are you and was the cost of the surgery paid for by your self or private health insurance. 

Around 1991 blew the knee out in a sailing accident, the Dr. in the states tried to save the cartilage by reattaching it but that only lasted one year. After it came lose the second time had it all sucked out, have the videos. Everything good for 20 years and woke up one morning and cannot walk, after some ibeprophen could get around and went back to the same Dr. and he did a MRI and reported bone on bone but at that time very little pain in the knee he advised no pain do not fool around with it. 

Of course as time progressed started having muscle ack and pains in leg but not much in knee joint, so taking his advice just was carefully about activitity to keep pain down. During this time did some research and also a few threads about Dr. Chanakhan here in Chiang Mai. Went into see him 3 years ago and discussed the issue he wasn't pushing the issue and neither did I. I have waited three years and the distance I can walk without pain has become less and less. Decided to see the DR. again and we did another x-ray and more bone to bone contact and bone spurs. We set up a time and the rest is in the initial story. The cost of it all is about 236,000baht  that included initial blood work and a sonic gram on my legs as I have limpadema or swelling of legs due to fluid retension.

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

Around 1991 blew the knee out in a sailing accident, the Dr. in the states tried to save the cartilage by reattaching it but that only lasted one year. After it came lose the second time had it all sucked out, have the videos. Everything good for 20 years and woke up one morning and cannot walk, after some ibeprophen could get around and went back to the same Dr. and he did a MRI and reported bone on bone but at that time very little pain in the knee he advised no pain do not fool around with it. 

Of course as time progressed started having muscle ack and pains in leg but not much in knee joint, so taking his advice just was carefully about activitity to keep pain down. During this time did some research and also a few threads about Dr. Chanakhan here in Chiang Mai. Went into see him 3 years ago and discussed the issue he wasn't pushing the issue and neither did I. I have waited three years and the distance I can walk without pain has become less and less. Decided to see the DR. again and we did another x-ray and more bone to bone contact and bone spurs. We set up a time and the rest is in the initial story. The cost of it all is about 236,000baht  that included initial blood work and a sonic gram on my legs as I have limpadema or swelling of legs due to fluid retension.

Thanks for the background , whats the doctors prognosis and were the hospital costs involved paid by you or private insurance , if private health insurance in your view how did the insurance company work out   , if you paid the hospital costs your self , would you / are you going to now consider subscribing to a private health insurance policy .

9 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

Thanks for the background , whats the doctors prognosis and were the hospital costs involved paid by you or private insurance , if private health insurance in your view how did the insurance company work out   , if you paid the hospital costs your self , would you / are you going to now consider subscribing to a private health insurance policy .

The Dr. says it looks good now it is just wait and see, the reason I waited for a number of years is the fact I had very little pain just some discomfort when I over did things. As the Dr. in the states said you have no pain now who knows what will happen after surgery. It is a hard surgery to predict a lot depends on how commited to therapy you are. I paid out of pocket as my deductable in the US would have been about the same. I am to old for health insurance in Thailand or it is just to expensive. I have recieved care here that is as good or better than in the US.

34 minutes ago, moe666 said:

The Dr. says it looks good now it is just wait and see, the reason I waited for a number of years is the fact I had very little pain just some discomfort when I over did things. As the Dr. in the states said you have no pain now who knows what will happen after surgery. It is a hard surgery to predict a lot depends on how commited to therapy you are. I paid out of pocket as my deductable in the US would have been about the same. I am to old for health insurance in Thailand or it is just to expensive. I have recieved care here that is as good or better than in the US.

Hi and thanks again for the outline , as a side note I am 68 years old and recently jumped health insurance ship from Thailand Bupa to an International health insurance provider with out any problems . Good luck with the therapy and recovery .

• 2 weeks later...

It has been around 4 weeks since my surgery every thing looking good, the entry wound is healing very nice no infection. The x-rays all look good and the Dr. is happy, just keep up therapy as well as exercise at home. Given the ok for walking without walker when safe to do so as well as climb a few stairs.

Checked my visa bill with exchange rate surgery and 4 days hospital stay a bit over 6,000 dollars, the total cost will be more with trips to therapy but at 500b a visit i will not complain. Not a lot of pain more like an annoyance and getting comfortable sitting is a bit of an issue. 

No complaints about Dr., hospital or follow up care, more than likely better than in the states.

1 minute ago, moe666 said:

It has been around 4 weeks since my surgery every thing looking good, the entry wound is healing very nice no infection. The x-rays all look good and the Dr. is happy, just keep up therapy as well as exercise at home. Given the ok for walking without walker when safe to do so as well as climb a few stairs.

Checked my visa bill with exchange rate surgery and 4 days hospital stay a bit over 6,000 dollars, the total cost will be more with trips to therapy but at 500b a visit i will not complain. Not a lot of pain more like an annoyance and getting comfortable sitting is a bit of an issue. 

No complaints about Dr., hospital or follow up care, more than likely better than in the states.

surprised to hear the states fares badly compared to thailand. my mother had both hers done in the UK on the NHS, highest standards and free. i wouldn't go anywhere else for health care.

12 hours ago, samsensam said:

surprised to hear the states fares badly compared to thailand. my mother had both hers done in the UK on the NHS, highest standards and free. i wouldn't go anywhere else for health care.

Why would Thailand fare badly they have very good hospitals, doctors,and nurses. In the states you are in and out in a few days.Rahavet not the most modern of hospitals but the staff very professional and caring.

Not my personal experience but a British friend of mine who was 74 at the time went to a hospital in India and had both knees replaced simultaneously; something most US and UK hospitals won't do. 

He said the facility was new and modern and spotlessly clean.  All the staff spoke English and were very attentive.  He was up and walking within days of the surgery and actually checked himself out after 8 days though they wanted him to stay 2 weeks.  His surgeon actually called him every day in Thailand for the next week to check on him.

He found a qualified physical therapest  in Pattaya where he lives and was walking quite comfortably within 3 weeks though he did get fatigued easily.  Within 6 weeks, he was walking extensively without pain or fatigue.

Total cost including airfare, Bangkok to India return was $10,000.

• 2 weeks later...

Today is one month since my knee replacement and all is going well. Walking more each day and climbing stairs as well. After walking about 10 min. swelling in knee and some discomfort but nothing a couple of freeze paks cannot help. Over all happy with my decision to have surgery done here in Thailand. My wife May has been a great help especially after surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

About month and a half since surgery to replace knee and I am doing great. Started riding motorbike yesterday, the big deal was to lift kick stand and put it down knee bends enough to do that so good to go.

Walking now I can fore go the cane now but still carry it in case of stairs or steps. Headed to bed last night and didn't even think about how I would climb stairs went one foot after the other instead of one step at a time. 

I am making good progress but go to therapy and exercise at home cannot slack off.

I had bi-lateral knee replacements in 2008 in the US (Kaiser Redwood City, CA). -- Still going strong at 71yo. They are better than the originals in my opinion. No offense intended to The Creator, but knees are a weak point in the human body, or at least have been for an overactive fool like myself, tree worker, athletics, martial arts, etc. My first knee surgery was at 17yo,  then 3 more over the years until the cobalt chrome replacements. 

Having both knees done at the same time, fortunately I was not overweight and had reasonable upper body strength, which helps with some mobility the first week (intense)  and month (begins to get easier).  And I have a good Thai wife who was by my side throughout and incredibly supportive. It is no fun and would have been really hard without her. 

Its a miserable experience,  but worth it, and definitely gave me a new lease on life. I went back to work and put our 4 adopted Thai kids through college. Now I'm able to finally retire back to Thailand. No more tree work, but I'm packing my mountain bike in a box for air travel as we speak. Thank God for modern orthopedic medicine. 

7 hours ago, moe666 said:

About month and a half since surgery to replace knee and I am doing great. Started riding motorbike yesterday, the big deal was to lift kick stand and put it down knee bends enough to do that so good to go.

Walking now I can fore go the cane now but still carry it in case of stairs or steps. Headed to bed last night and didn't even think about how I would climb stairs went one foot after the other instead of one step at a time. 

I am making good progress but go to therapy and exercise at home cannot slack off.

MOE666...Your OP and your follow up posts have been informative, enlightening and very much appreciated.

I'm 74 and have been struggling with the question of whether or not to have knee replacement surgery.  I was always an active walker and I find my greatly reduced mobility, and the knowledge that I am not making the best of whatever years I have left, frustrating.

Unfortunately, the experience of a friend some years ago who lost his life to an infection acquired during knee replacement surgery has always made me reluctant to take the risk.  My concerns were amplified just last year when I contacted a severe hospital related leg infection when having heart bypass surgery.

Both my knees need to be done and because it will require returning to the US where I qualify for free veterans care, it is a major undertaking.

Both your and DrTreeLove's positive experiences are most encouraging and have helped alleviate some of my anxieties. 

If you have the money just do it here, my surgery ran about 6000.00 dollars plus a few hundred dollars for other expenses. Hospital aquired infections are rampart in the states. They are taking it a bit more serious but you just do not know. I took a lot of vitamin C to boost the immune system and had the wife bring in a bottle that I kept in my luggage. My Dr. was very serious about the possibility of infection as I have a history of cellulitus. But every thing went just fine and no problem. I would do it here again very positive experience.

I did put my surgery off a few years but mainly because I did not have a lot of knee pain over the years.

9 hours ago, rodknock said:

riding a motor bike is crazy after having your knees replaced. have you ever checked the price of a knee revision if you have problems with your knee(crash). yes it can happen to you!!

Thanks for your concern but getting on the motorbike was as much a marker of improvement as well as transportation. yes I know the danger as much as anyone but one must live their life cannot hide in the room avoiding accidents. I could do the same thing walking down the stairs.

moe666,

Great info....thanks.  One question: How long did the doc estimate your knee replacement should last?   

Googling seems to indicate around 20 years and with about 10% of folks only getting about 10 years of mileage.  Just wondering what your doc estimated.

My 10 cents ....

Having had a bone on bone knee requiring action ( could not even walk 200m ), I did a lot of study.

Metal knees / joints solve one issue, but create another ie have to be very careful with scratches / infection. My best friend has 2 metals knees and got a scratch in sea water in phi phi, we ended up having to take a speedboat to get meds at a hospital.

My choice was to keep it natural for as long as possible, had a HTO 3 years back and cartilage has returned to about 2 to 3mm, no pain and can walk all day

HTO will buy me more years, and natural options ie stem cell or 3D printed meniscus are getting off the ground which I hope to qualify for when my HTO time runs out

I know there are guys who really have no choice but to do a TKR, but if you can , keep it natural for as long as you can

Yes - TKR’s have a max life cycle usually , and if you get infection , it needs to come out, clean it, and a few weeks later cut the bone back some more

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, Pib said:

moe666,

Great info....thanks.  One question: How long did the doc estimate your knee replacement should last?   

Googling seems to indicate around 20 years and with about 10% of folks only getting about 10 years of mileage.  Just wondering what your doc estimated.

I never asked him and he has never said as I am 73 I do not think it matters. Twenty years makes me 93. My Dr. refused to do a knee replacement on a friend in his 40s he told him you are too young. This was after several had told him only choice was a knee replacement

Archived