PHOTOS: Torrential rain leaves Pattaya Beach Road flooded

Jonathan Fairfield

17 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Imagine my disappointment on a recent visit to Pattaya 

I wasn't robbed or in anyway accosted by lady boys, shaken down by the police on trumped up

charges, never paid more than 20 baht to one of the Mafia owned busses, I wasn't involved in any

kind of accident on the road either as a passenger or pedestrian.

The taxi ride from the airport was driven by a courteous and competent guy who turned up on

time and charged the agreed price (1000 baht including tolls)

Sadly no sign of the carnage I was expecting.

Of course I spent more money than I probably should, but had a wonderful time. I met some interesting

characters, mainly friendly young ladies from the North East (Isaan, not Newcastle!)

I wasn't expecting to be immersed in Thai culture and can understand that it isn't for everyone and 

also I was visiting with a newbies wide eyed wonderment, but I don't think the place is anywhere

as bad as some would say.

20 baht for the baht bus!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ye gads, some on here will say you wuz robbed.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:49 PM, overherebc said:

Bulldoze one of the Sois, 6, 7 or 8, you pick one, and build one of those USA style concrete spillways leading down to the beach. Feed all the rain drains into it for the wet season and in the dry season let the locals have bike and car drag races on it.

Just sayin'

images (46).jpg

They have one of those up in Chiang Mai.

However, no need. All they have to do is build a big drain at the bottom of each of the 3 down hill main roads that goes under the beach and channels all the water coming downhill away. It's only that the existing drainage has probably been destroyed by the road widening, and the rain water has no direct path to the sea that there is a problem now.

Wouldn't even cost that much.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 07/10/2017 at 10:49 AM, overherebc said:

Bulldoze one of the Sois, 6, 7 or 8, you pick one, and build one of those USA style concrete spillways leading down to the beach. Feed all the rain drains into it for the wet season and in the dry season let the locals have bike and car drag races on it.

Just sayin'

images (46).jpg

Congratulations , you've just reinvented the Bangkok's klongs . Does this solve flooding issues? As far as i know ... no

You would be at or below sea level so not a great idea

Edited by bodymassagemyfriend

3 hours ago, bodymassagemyfriend said:

Congratulations , you've just reinvented the Bangkok's klongs . Does this solve flooding issues? As far as i know ... no

You would be at or below sea level so not a great idea

Not all of us spend our lives being deadly serious.

??

On 10/7/2017 at 4:49 AM, overherebc said:

Just sayin'

Please. it being Thailand the spillway would be  blocked with trash and debris within the year and illegal  buildings.  This is what happened with the famous Bangkok klongs and spillways and Pattaya wan't be any different.

58 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Please. it being Thailand the spillway would be  blocked with trash and debris within the year and illegal  buildings.  This is what happened with the famous Bangkok klongs and spillways and Pattaya wan't be any different.

I think we all know that. It was originally posted as humour.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2017 at 9:11 PM, JSixpack said:

OMG yes. The pollution, trash, rats, open ditches, filth, stink, crappy views, no beach, broken sidewalks, broken pedestrian lights, crappy promenade with no shade or seats, shops closed, deserted malls, sidewalks broken and blocked, overhanging signs, speed bumps, overhanging wires, corrupt police, no metered taxis, arrogant hotel clerks, unsmiling cashiers, crazy driving, overpricing, crotch-grabbing ladyboys, gold necklace & bag snatchers, baht bus ripoffs, deserted condo buildings, deserted malls, Bali Hai desolation, ruined buildings, ruined pier, Waterford, jet ski scams, deserted bars, high bar fines, noise pollution, lack of overpasses on Sukhumvit, constant traffic jam, Chinese, Russians, Indians, Arabs and other non-Brits, runny fried eggs, haircuts with white sidewalls--to mention just a few critical issues. It's TOTAL CATASTROPHE. How can ANYBODY live in this cesspool??? Suicide is the only answer.

If you dont live here - not your business. Your point of view is so negative it indicates clinical depression.  Your view is very one sided and simply  not true because it is not the whole picture.  This is why hundreds of thousands of people visit Pattaya making it one of the most popular resorts/holiday destinations in the world. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The manic said:

If you dont live here - not your business. Your point of view is so negative it indicates clinical depression.  Your view is very one sided and simply  not true because it is not the whole picture.  This is why hundreds of thousands of people visit Pattaya making it one of the most popular resorts/holiday destinations in the world. 

This is SUCH a pleasant change from the usual epithets of real estate agent, Thai apologist, head in the sand, oblivious, and wearing rose-tinted glasses! Thank you! I'll reference your post in the future. But this IS, after all, a list of actual complaints made by the petals of TVF over the years. (I gotta post more o' this sarcasm; must be good!)  :)

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

This is SUCH a pleasant change from the usual epithets of real estate agent, Thai apologist, head in the sand, oblivious, and wearing rose-tinted glasses! Thank you! I'll reference your post in the future. But this IS, after all, a list of actual complaints made by the petals of TVF over the years. (I gotta post more o' this sarcasm; must be good!)  :)

Sorry, was hard to resist

lovepats.jpg.099fc020cd2e56384054be5628d9dfa7.jpg

On 10/8/2017 at 2:24 AM, shy coconut said:

Imagine my disappointment on a recent visit to Pattaya 

I wasn't robbed or in anyway accosted by lady boys, shaken down by the police on trumped up

charges, never paid more than 20 baht to one of the Mafia owned busses, I wasn't involved in any

kind of accident on the road either as a passenger or pedestrian.

The taxi ride from the airport was driven by a courteous and competent guy who turned up on

time and charged the agreed price (1000 baht including tolls)

Sadly no sign of the carnage I was expecting.

Of course I spent more money than I probably should, but had a wonderful time. I met some interesting

characters, mainly friendly young ladies from the North East (Isaan, not Newcastle!)

I wasn't expecting to be immersed in Thai culture and can understand that it isn't for everyone and 

also I was visiting with a newbies wide eyed wonderment, but I don't think the place is anywhere

as bad as some would say.

You paid 1,000 from the airport?  Fool.  950 - 975 should have been plenty.

Sorry, couldn't resist

• Like 1

On 10/7/2017 at 9:11 PM, JSixpack said:

OMG yes. The pollution, trash, rats, open ditches, filth, stink, crappy views, no beach, broken sidewalks, broken pedestrian lights, crappy promenade with no shade or seats, shops closed, deserted malls, sidewalks broken and blocked, overhanging signs, speed bumps, overhanging wires, corrupt police, no metered taxis, arrogant hotel clerks, unsmiling cashiers, crazy driving, overpricing, crotch-grabbing ladyboys, gold necklace & bag snatchers, baht bus ripoffs, deserted condo buildings, deserted malls, Bali Hai desolation, ruined buildings, ruined pier, Waterford, jet ski scams, deserted bars, high bar fines, noise pollution, lack of overpasses on Sukhumvit, constant traffic jam, Chinese, Russians, Indians, Arabs and other non-Brits, runny fried eggs, haircuts with white sidewalls--to mention just a few critical issues. It's TOTAL CATASTROPHE. How can ANYBODY live in this cesspool??? Suicide is the only answer.

This is funny....

I can let most these things slide except for the 

crappy new promenade....That can never be forgiven...

Runny fried eggs...lol  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...