Right-of-Way at an Intersection

JimGant

Ok, there appears to be no standard for left hand drive countries on who, at a cross intersection of  equal roads, has the right of way:

Some countries use the priority-to-the-right rule, despite driving on the left. Australia uses the priority-to-the-right rule at four-way intersections where the roads all have equal priority, but specific rules apply for T-intersections.[2] Singapore also uses priority-to-the-right, as well as priority to vehicles going straight and turning vehicles to give way to vehicles going straight.

Thailand?

The rule is :Section 71 (500B)

If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has a right of way, except when there’s a designation of “principle roadway in which case the vehicle on the principle roadway has a right of way.

Ok, sounds straightforward -- except when you read the chatter in these ancient threads:

https://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/right-of-way-giving-way-to-other-traffic-t36076.html

Hasn't really been a problem -- I'm sure most of the Thai drivers are as ignorant of the "correct" procedure as I am. So, accordingly, as these are usually small road, small speed situations, I just stop and waive the other fellow through. But, I would like to know what the latest opinion/knowledge of this situation is.... Thanx.

I've heard if your sitting at lights the car on the other side turning right has the right of way, so I may have to rethink my Auss rules as it would be the other way round

I can understand the Thai way as it would clear the backlog of traffic opposite you as maybe only a few will turn right

Back in Farang land people will die rather than give up their right of way. 

Trying to insist on your right of way here is even more likely to result in an accident, or getting yourself shot.

With respect, questions about right of way are pointless. 

5 minutes ago, cooked said:

Back in Farang land people will die rather than give up their right of way. 

Trying to insist on your right of way here is even more likely to result in an accident, or getting yourself shot.

With respect, questions about right of way are pointless. 

I usually find it's the driver with the biggest balls has the right of way.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Ok, there appears to be no standard for left hand drive countries on who, at a cross intersection of  equal roads, has the right of way:

You mean countries that drive on the left.

Left hand drive is a term i would use for the position of the dring seat in a car.

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

I've heard if your sitting at lights the car on the other side turning right has the right of way,

What I know too.

A surprising rule if you are not aware.

1 hour ago, grollies said:

That's nothing, what about roundabouts?

The exception from the rule.

The vehicle in the roundabout (from the right) has the right of way.

But as others wrote: don't rely on rules blindly.

Thai traffic needs a lot of "operating experience".

13 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

What I know too.

A surprising rule if you are not aware.

15 hours ago, BEVUP said:

I've heard if your sitting at lights the car on the other side turning right has the right of way, so I may have to rethink my Auss rules as it would be the other way round

I can understand the Thai way as it would clear the backlog of traffic opposite you as maybe only a few will turn right

Not sure I understand this - when you say "the other side" do you mean opposite or on your left?

If opposite and they are turning right and you are turning right who then has right of way?

14 minutes ago, topt said:

If opposite and they are turning right and you are turning right who then has right of way?

??

Both :biggrin:

If the intersection is not extremely small, why would you need a right of way?

right_right.jpg

Just be aware of the motorcycle fool who speeds across the intersection undertaking the red car on the left :biggrin:

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

??

Both :biggrin:

If the intersection is not extremely small, why would you need a right of way?

right_right.jpg

Point taken but I was thinking more of smaller cross roads..........which is probably not the case with traffic lights :smile:

Anybody have a reference to this rule however as I had heard about the OPs Section 71 and would have thought traffic going straight has priority over someone trying to turn across them at lights?

I'm happy to report that an inspection of a TG Airbus showed the red navigation light was on the left wingtip (and the green, on the right wingtip). Thus, Thailand adheres to international standards that the right merging aircraft has dibs over the left merging aircraft (in VFR/uncontrolled airspace situations). Now, the aircraft I saw may have been configured for international flight. Perhaps, they switch around light bulbs for domestic flights......

Assume Thai Navy vessels also have red on the port side........

That the left hand driving British (and their offspring colonies) adhere to the right side vehicle having priority, has, most likely, something to do with the international sea/air standards. Google, however, hasn't helped me figure out the (left side driving) Japanese (no big deal, just curious).

Edited by JimGant