Go-go going as Chinese women fuel Thai tourism boom

webfact

My observations would tend to agree with the article, even in my jomtien condo block.

Its not uncommon to now see Chinese families and groups of single Chinese girls , not on package tours but doing their own thing.

11 minutes ago, GoDucks said:

Not the case at all.  Way more men that women.

Maybe you should pass your accurate data on to Thai tourism as they appear to have some flawed data that says otherwise.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Thailand should also thank the government for switching to chinese tourists...without them there would be a deep crisis already.

Interesting. Maybe They just feel like being at home under the Prayuth censorship era.

There is a deep crisis its just those who believe what they read from the dungbeatles know no difference.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

red-light district have been the face of Thailand's tourism industry.

Regardless of TATs opinion, ( which we all suspect to be made up and based on imaginary unicorn poop), the lovely girls, selling their wares (or worns, in some cases) are still foresquare in everyone else’s perception of Thailand... other than China, it appears, who are now throwing their women into the cauldron.... good o ya china, I appreciate it ???

20 hours ago, tomisaan said:

europeans and americans did not give thailand the sex trade reputation.

Thailand offered it to them, and anyone else who would pay

Americans and Europeans are always blamed. The truth is the Thai sex industry is home grown, as history makes clear, and still primarily services Thai men. Sex tourists are, and always have been, just the icing on the cake. 

• Like 2

Shortage of men in China, one child policy was a disaster.

Considering the long held practice of knocking off the girl child at birth in China one hardly thinks that there is a shortage of men, in fact the last count revealed that the discrepancy was around 3 men to 1 woman because of the one child policy, which now as you say, even the Chinese government has admitted was a monumental disaster and have now taken steps to remedy.

So now those Chinese who are married will very soon double or treble the child count in the family and the overall 1.3 billion population of China will very quickly supersede that of the 1.6 billion population of India.

God or something help the world

• Thanks 1

Anyone half observant will know that there are lots of young Chinese women traveling in groups of 2 to 5 or more touring Pattaya.  And, of course, Chinese families, as well.   The Chinese are keeping Pattaya busy year-round.   And, just 9% have passports so the numbers can only go up.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

"I chose to come to Thailand because it's close by, there are many flights, it's cheap to travel and easy to get a visa,"

21 hours ago, webfact said:

A Big C supermarket near the Erawan shrine buzzes with Chinese tourists who fill their trolleys with bulk packets Tom Yum Goong flavoured instant noodles, crispy seaweed and dried squid snacks.

Have seen an increase in single Chinese women here in Patong, some of them very pretty, and believe it or not, beside the shopping, some of them do like to visit the go-go bars to have an ogle at the hooters on display, not to mention drinking in the occasional music bar.

Having said that the second quote above is also true, but I really don't think that the purchasing of crispy seaweed and dried squid snacks is going to do a huge amount to help the Thai economy. Not only that, the number of shopping trolleys full of this stuff has decreased quite markedly and now there are just plastic bags full, so easier to pack and take home.

If the hotel association thinks that this Chinese tourist boom is going to fill its coffers, although certainly some of them do stay at the higher priced hotels, they will have to think again because the practice of putting Chinese tourists in condos and apartments for short stays is rife, despite the law forbidding this.

Can't help it but feel sorry for a dying breed. Old folk longing for days long gone and not coming back. Old folk always on the defensive. Old folk full of Vietnam war stories and 20th century Thailand. "Used to be like this, used to be like that". Old folk unhinged from reality. China is the next global power. There are no "buts" about this. The age of the Farang is drawing to a close. Better get used it. Get a grip. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ksamuiguy said:

Looking for husbands!

Shortage of men in China, one child policy was a disaster.

actually a shortage of women because many girls were placed in orphanages and adopted overseas, which a good friend of mine did twice. raised two great daughters in north carolina. belongs to an association of other adopting parents.

2 hours ago, murraynz said:

thailand would easily attract more better quality female tourists, if they clean the beaches up...the chinese arent much interested in the beach...corrupt taxi drivers need to be weeded out, tourists , especially female.like to feel safe...the sex indusrty is not a problem for these people, they simply dont visit go go bars ,if they dont like....the main attraction for females is beach and shopping......nobody likes dirty beaches....i know many females who will never re-visit thailand , due to the rubbish..these people tell their friends,so their friends wont come here, so the word gets passed on...

3rd world is dirty, that's just the way it works.

2 hours ago, Propellerhead said:

I visited Guangzhou last month. The flight to there was sudued and sober. The flight back to BKK was filled with giddy middle aged Chinese women, most of them traveling without men.

I've been there, you can rent a hotel room with a Chinese lady included with the room.

A new twist on room sharing.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

58 minutes ago, Machiavelli said:

Can't help it but feel sorry for a dying breed. Old folk longing for days long gone and not coming back. Old folk always on the defensive. Old folk full of Vietnam war stories and 20th century Thailand. "Used to be like this, used to be like that". Old folk unhinged from reality. China is the next global power. There are no "buts" about this. The age of the Farang is drawing to a close. Better get used it. Get a grip. 

I would suggest Islam would be the next global power.

China had many chances, and always did nothing, can't see them changing.

Predicting the future is always a bit silly, probably it'll be a zombie apocalypse .........