Bars closed on Oct 26 and...when else?

heybruce

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When I asked at a bar on Loi Kroh, they said only closed on 26th. However, if I were needing to imbibe, as opposed to being able to go without, I'd be stocking up enough to last till next week, just in case.

so no actual facts to offer.

Alcohol ban in Thailand is on the 26th from 2:30 pm till next day.

Not according to another thread running on this forum. Alcohol consumption is being "discouraged" but there is no ban on sales. Many places are closing to let their staff mourn and watch the funeral so it would be wise to stock up the day before, but there doesn't seem to be an official nationwide ban.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Not according to another thread running on this forum. Alcohol consumption is being "discouraged" but there is no ban on sales. Many places are closing to let their staff mourn and watch the funeral so it would be wise to stock up the day before, but there doesn't seem to be an official nationwide ban.

As I understand it, the shutdown on the 13th was not legally required, it was the result of the police "encouraging" the bar owners not to open.  The results are well know.

Officially discouraging something in Thailand can be the same thing as a complete shutdown. 

BTW, stocking up and drinking alone in my room is always an option, and one that I rarely indulge in.  Closing the bars for more than one day will be a minor annoyance for me, but financial harmful to bar owners and employees, some of whom are friends of mine.

Tourist/expat bars in Bangkok will be closed 25-27..

Now in this case Bangkok may actually be more strict than Chiang Mai; it's usually the other way around.

https://www.stickboybkk.com/news/patpong-nana-plaza-closing-25-27-october/

But I'd say that as a worst case we're looking at 25-27.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Asadang added that the Alcohol Control Board, which regulates booze sales, will not issue any ban on alcohol consumption or sales during the royal cremation ceremony. The cremation is set to take place on Oct. 26.

So this is a lie from the authorities?  Sounds like Fri 13th all over again.  "Refrain from drinking and turn the music off" and nobody believed it!  Many bars closed, some because they wanted to and many others because they thought they had to.

As I understand it, the shutdown on the 13th was not legally required, it was the result of the police "encouraging" the bar owners not to open.  The results are well know.

Officially discouraging something in Thailand can be the same thing as a complete shutdown. 

BTW, stocking up and drinking alone in my room is always an option, and one that I rarely indulge in.  Closing the bars for more than one day will be a minor annoyance for me, but financial harmful to bar owners and employees, some of whom are friends of mine.

There's a difference between bars being required to close as a mark of respect and a complete alcohol sales ban. The former is almost a certainty, the latter less likely, although many stores will be closed anyway.

11 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Tourist/expat bars in Bangkok will be closed 25-27..

Now in this case Bangkok may actually be more strict than Chiang Mai; it's usually the other way around.

https://www.stickboybkk.com/news/patpong-nana-plaza-closing-25-27-october/

But I'd say that as a worst case we're looking at 25-27.

Of course we won't know until the afternoon of the 25th.

Asadang added that the Alcohol Control Board, which regulates booze sales, will not issue any ban on alcohol consumption or sales during the royal cremation ceremony. The cremation is set to take place on Oct. 26.

So this is a lie from the authorities?  Sounds like Fri 13th all over again.  "Refrain from drinking and turn the music off" and nobody believed it!  Many bars closed, some because they wanted to and many others because they thought they had to.

It's not a lie. Bars and other places of entertainment are required to close. Alcohol can still be sold in retail outlets - if they decide to stay open. Many will close to watch the funeral.

1 minute ago, Rama said:

Was just told by my pharmacist that all shops - including 7/11s are to be closed between 2 pm and midnight on the 26th.

And I was told by a restaurant owner that he would be open.

With all respect to your pharmacist, I suspect he is working on the same ( rumours ) information that everyone else is, and I also suspect the situation will be changing day by day.

2 hours ago, Rama said:

Was just told by my pharmacist that all shops - including 7/11s are to be closed between 2 pm and midnight on the 26th.

Well your pharmacist is misinformed.  It's already been announced that Emporium, Emquartier, Siam Paragon and Centralworld will be staying open, and I'm sure many others will be too.  

Edit:  Just seen this is about Chiang Mai, so maybe the situation is different from the capital.

Edited by brewsterbudgen