Government announces New Year’s 4-day public holiday

webfact

Government announces New Year’s 4-day public holiday

By Coconuts Bangkok 

cc.jpg

Photo: Tore Bustad/Flickr

The government has announced that Thailand will enjoy a four-day public holiday at the end of the year, from Dec. 30 – Jan. 2. That Saturday and Sunday were already public holidays, and also a weekend, so Jan. 1-2 will be the observation of those holidays.

All government offices and businesses such as banks will be closed during that period.

Full story:  https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/government-announces-new-years-4-day-public-holiday/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-11-09

Why would you make a Tuesday, Jan 2 a public holiday, as it is just in the middle of the week almost?

Thailand has too many public holidays and it isn't helping general businesses in this globalized economy, decreasing current Thailand's low productivity!

30 minutes ago, Will2011 said:

Why would you make a Tuesday, Jan 2 a public holiday, as it is just in the middle of the week almost?

Thailand has too many public holidays and it isn't helping general businesses in this globalized economy, decreasing current Thailand's low productivity!

I imagine that many Western countries will be doing the same. Normal practise if a holiday falls on a weekend.

27 minutes ago, RIC23 said:

GREAT another holiday to send business's to the wall !

Do elaborate. Surely lots of businesses will prosper during this holiday? More time for the overworked portion of the population to go out and spend their hard earned money. Resutratins, bars, shops and other farang owned places won't mind I'm sure. 

So many miserable people on here. Begrudging the population ONE extra day at New Year. Many of the workforce take buses to the back and beyond up/down country, is it really that painful and ridiculous to allow them one extra day with their families and time to get back.

And some Thai people (with proper factory jobs or the like) will have the chance to get extra holidays.

I expect the oldest granddaughter being here for about a week.

It's the second most important holiday period after Songkran.

For me its a time of staying home as much as possible (stock up in time), only doing essential short trips.

Traffic will be terrible as every year.

Everyday is a public holiday particularly for those sucking on the teat of the public purse.

That includes Generals, high and low ranking coppers, assorted public officials right down the lowliest of public servant bludgers.

In summary, all those no-hopers who have wormed their way into the public service system via friends and relatives will ensure the country continues to go backward. 

When nepotism is emboldened by the military it sets a bad example. The future looks grim!

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:
18 hours ago, Will2011 said:

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I imagine that many Western countries will be doing the same. Normal practise if a holiday falls on a weekend.

Please feel free to read my post as many times as necessary so that you understand. I was unaware that TUESDAY was now a weekend day!

If "many western countries" will have a public holiday on a TUESDAY, January 2, please educate us more on that note.

18 hours ago, Will2011 said:

Thailand statutory paid holiday leave (annual or public holiday) per annum is 18 days, which is the same as Singapore, and one of the lowest in the world.

Many European countries have up to 35 days per annum. If you think 1 extra day at New Year is causing any negative impact, you obviously have not tried doing business with a European company between June-August every year.

On 11/10/2017 at 11:11 AM, smutcakes said:

Thailand statutory paid holiday leave (annual or public holiday) per annum is 18 days, which is the same as Singapore, and one of the lowest in the world.

Many European countries have up to 35 days per annum. If you think 1 extra day at New Year is causing any negative impact, you obviously have not tried doing business with a European company between June-August every year.

Smufface, please don't confuse annual leave and public holidays. There are 11 public holidays in Singapore, first of. Second, we all know when they are, as opposed to Thailand where the government decides to give extra public holidays when they please. You are right, I never tried to do business with "A European company", as you said. I just do business with MANY EU companies. While some might be closed down during summer, some are open nevertheless. Besides, annual leave in private sectors and public holidays are two different things. Annual leave can be taken whenever according to each company's policy, whereas public holidays are supposed to be at identical times year after year for the most part.

You obviously picked the incorrect example. Please review your points and facts before posting.