CRF250L Stroker kit - Chaing mai mechanic offering all in 1 service?

DDBKK

Head scratching in abundance at the moment....

Have previously had a big bore takegawa kit fitted to the CRF that was the most unreliable junk ever to grace this earth, however I hear reasonably solid word on the stroker conversion. 

There was, to my memory, a thread either on here or one of the asia riding sites about a thai mechanic in chiang mai who supplied all parts to do the conversion as well as fitting for quite a reasonable sum of baht.

Can I remember who? Not in the slightest! Does any of you knowledgeable folk know what I'm rambling on about and able to point me in the right direction? 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not heard of anyone. Will ask around.

Wish Honda had one part number for a complete CBR300R engine. Would swap my 250L in a heartbeat

Stock 2015 CRF250L 22.8 HP at 8500 RPM, and 14.3 ft-lbs at 5640 RPM.

Stock CBR300R 30.4 HP at 8500 RPM, and 20 ft-lbs at 7250 RPMS

https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_crf250l_2015.php

StockCB300F 26 HP at 8500 RPM, and 20 ft-lbs. at 7250 RPM.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CBR250R/CBR300R

That looks like almost 50% more torque to me.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1232501-cbr300r-engine-swap/?page=3

Edited by canthai55

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:50 PM, DDBKK said:

Can I remember who? Not in the slightest! Does any of you knowledgeable folk know what I'm rambling on about and able to point me in the right direction? 

Yes I know what you're on about...but can't find any links either.

Maybe try Tony's Big Bikes in Chiang Mai...they run 300L's so maybe can point you in the right direction?

https://www.thailandmotorcycle.tours/our-tour-bikes/

21 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Yep I’m waiting for my engine to blow up then just by 2nd hand 300 engine??

I'd like to buy a 300 before mine blows up...have searched long and hard but can't find any second hand 300's in Thailand...if you know of a place give me a shout please  :thumbsup:

Canthai are you referring to the MX shop next to Riders Corner in Chiang Mai?  If so I think that closed down about a year ago.

Riders Corner have taken over the shop space.

Don't know what became of Nae.

Another option maybe to talk to the lads are Burning motorcycle parts.  Just over the Nararot  Bridge.

9 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Wow - never knew. Just got back last week. Wonder where Nae got to - did good work.

Nae had some good scramblers , trails type bikes from the 90,s.. He closed and mooved 2 years ago. Dont know where he is now. Burning would be a good , but not cheap , place to start.

Sometimes Burning has stuff others don't then you gotta pay thru the nose for it.  Other times I know the identical item is way way cheaper up the road at Sangchai Panich.

Actually I've seen his staff in Sangchai on occasion buying stock.... you just gotta shop around sometimes.

I know Burning gets a lot of billet after market stuff manufactured in China....Looks good and no doubt he's looking after his P&L ledger too.

7 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

I know Burning gets a lot of billet after market stuff manufactured in China....Looks good and no doubt he's looking after his P&L ledger too.

I looked at his risers last year - bought genuine Rox after seeing them.

Skid plate 500 baht cheaper at the big accessory shop by Waroret market

You've picqued my interest....where is this shop near Warrarot Market?  I was in that area yesterday and not aware of it.  Might have a look today if you could provide a few more details.  

Speaking of pricing,  I saw what initially thought was a Steibel Nautilus compact airhorn out near Big C Hang Dong yesterday.  It was in one of those stalls that are on the outside of the Mall.  I asked the price and after a phone call and a few other delays they came back with 1290 baht.  

Closer inspection showed it was a Chinese copy as there were no Stiebel markings on it at all.   I politely declined the sale as I know you can get the real McCoy across the road from Shangrila Hotel in Chan Klan Rd for between 800-900 baht.  They are a really good horn....loud as hell and quite easy to install.

40 minutes ago, CMKiwi said:

You've picqued my interest....where is this shop near Warrarot Market? 

Chang Moi road. As you TL from outside moat, around the corner, on the LH side just before the bridge over the Klong. Big orange sign. Mostly scooter stuff - bought my PCX shocks there, they even ordered for me. But some CRF stuff too. Their Aluminum skid plate 1600 baht. Bought my luggage rack there too - best price I found. Beat Panich by a little, and much stronger too.

Gotcha. ...they expanded their shop about 2 years ago.  Lots of rims and bigger bike stuff on the left of the shop.  Smaller accessories in the remainder with a big selection of helmets too.

I think one of the guys also works at the mechanics just up a bit on the corner.

Not a bad shop for a bit of bling either if that's what youre after.

Can't beat Panich for LED indicators tho. 130 baht for 2.....about the same price as those mesh seat covers.

I also look in the cycle shop on the other side of the road. The have a little bit of motorbike stuff too but service is diabolical.  Very hit and miss as to when you may get served.

I think I bought my CRF bash plate from either Nae or Burning as it was powder coated black aluminium. Fitted well and looked the part. The rack was stainless steel and solid. Seen a lot of aluminium ones but they look a bit flimsy.

I had my CRF done by a guy called 'The Monkey Father' who is just inside the East ring road and on Face book.

Very reasonable price and has been great since - still rattles like a bastard though!

With the gutted exhaust and CBR throttle it goes and sounds like a real bike;-)

That shop near Warrarot sells some very good wheel sets for enduro and supermotard.   CMkiwi , is that mechanics shop the one that does the cylinder head valve inserts and fork leg straightening ? CRF rattles can be cam chain , and / or , tensioner. Never a Honda strong point.

9 hours ago, Gnasher328 said:

I had my CRF done by a guy called 'The Monkey Father' who is just inside the East ring road and on Face book.

Very reasonable price and has been great since - still rattles like a bastard though!

With the gutted exhaust and CBR throttle it goes and sounds like a real bike;-)

I think we might have a winnnnnnner!

The name definitely rings a bell. Does he offer the all in one service, as in, turn up with the bike and he supplies and fits parts, then hands it back complete?

How many miles have you put on the bike after the stroker kit being fitted?

14 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

That shop near Warrarot sells some very good wheel sets for enduro and supermotard.  

Looking to buy a CRF250L so can you get semi-off-road tyres for it instead of the knobbly ones using the existing rims.?

I have done 5-10k km since the conversion, no problems although I hear there has been a recall by Honda of CBR300s and do not know if the parts used in mine are affected.

https://www.facebook.com/MonkeyHighway/

Facebook page shows MF in Bangkok but I seem to remember it was the same then, send him a FB msg, he was fairly good at responding.

Search the usual expat biking websites, RA and GTR, shedloads of info there.

Don't think the rattle is a cam chain issue, too high revs and neutral throttle position is critical, might even be related to air bleed system as it seemed to change when I tried an aftermarket exhaust with a larger downpipe. (Horrible so went to the gutted original)

16 hours ago, Gnasher328 said:

still rattles like a bastard though!

That's the thing.

The single cylinder 250 engine vibes and rattles as it is.

People change it to the 286cc version without changing out the counter-balancer etc?  

16 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

That shop near Warrarot sells some very good wheel sets for enduro and supermotard.   CMkiwi , is that mechanics shop the one that does the cylinder head valve inserts and fork leg straightening ? CRF rattles can be cam chain , and / or , tensioner. Never a Honda strong point.

I'm not sure what they do in that shop or to what standard. I've seen many engines in various states of repair there.

A lot of local boy racers seem to get their bikes done there. Again I have no idea as to the quality or standard of the work.