New Star Wars film- like it or not?

thaibeachlovers

Everyone that is into Star Wars should have seen it by now.

I thought it was just OK, when it should have been SPECTACULAR, given the amount of money they had to spend.

More about special effects and big bangs than a decent plot. In some parts I was even bored.

Too much about weird aliens that contributed nothing to the film other than being alien.

The big positive is that there were no stupid characters like the ****** Ewoks or Jar Jar Binks.

Disappointing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the reports back by adults was it was mediocre to poor....

I'd thought about it but both my wife & I thought the last one was so disappointingly bad we'd not bother - seems we were right...

One commentator said it would be good for first time watching by children that never had seen Starwars - that said enough right there.....

It was pure crap...i went just just to see how far special effects have come and whats the latest.

weak story, shit acting....and bloody long. Luckily i went with a young lass and the cinema had 4 people in the afternoon.

we had a good time under our large shawl...hehehe

19 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

It was pure crap...i went just just to see how far special effects have come and whats the latest.

weak story, shit acting....and bloody long. Luckily i went with a young lass and the cinema had 4 people in the afternoon.

..used the Force did you....

13 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

I agree. I was a great Star Wars fan but now it is far fetched and after an hour I was bored. You cant tell the same storey over and over again forever. Its had its day. Either completely reinvent it or stop. Box office numbers may dictate otherwise I fear.

Great entertainment and just as expected. By the way, I'm not a Star War fan at all – only catch up the three first movies later, when number four appeared – but like well produced films and entertaining movies...:smile:

It's like someone just placed all my great childhood memories of this franchise, and hammered them to death with a sledge hammer.   They seemed more interested in getting the Disneyfied Hollywood political agenda across far too much.  Star Wars does also does have some humour placed in the movies at times , when appropriate. The last Jedi had far too much and at tense times of the movie which ruined the tense atmosphere.  Starwars isn't Guardians of the galaxy. 

So yeh, the movie in my opinion is the worst star wars movie I have seen. I was shocked they could make it worse than the force awakens. Youngsters will prob love it though. 

The above comments have sealed it for me then, I'll just wait for it to come out on my TV box, not worth spending good money to freeze my ass off in a cinema, at least at home I can have a beer or two and pause it when I need a weeeeeeeee :biggrin:

Slightly off topic but I also waited for the new Dunkirk and Kingsman movies, both very good IMHO.

I just returned from the cinema. I guess the best I can say about the movie is that I didn't walk out. At least they still have the original music and that brings back memories from a long time ago and the original 3 movies.

A week or two ago I checked RottenTomatoes and they had a score of 92% and that motivated me to go and see the movie. I just checked again and the audience score is 52% liked it - that sound more realistic.

Summary: If you want to see some good special effects then go. If you expect a good StarWars movie like 30 years ago (I checked, the first movie was released in 1977) then forget about it.

I just returned from the cinema. I guess the best I can say about the movie is that I didn't walk out. At least they still have the original music and that brings back memories from a long time ago and the original 3 movies.
A week or two ago I checked RottenTomatoes and they had a score of 92% and that motivated me to go and see the movie. I just checked again and the audience score is 52% liked it - that sound more realistic.
Summary: If you want to see some good special effects then go. If you expect a good StarWars movie like 30 years ago (I checked, the first movie was released in 1977) then forget about it.

I gave up on the Star Wars franchise years ago, probably after the second one, so have no intention of going to see it.
I have a friend who’s a real nutjob about Star Wars, will be interesting to see what he has to say although he will probably defend it somehow.

Just for the record, the first Star Wars movie was 40 years ago !!

I payed 120Baht for the ticket, so it was worth it. However, I'm glad I didn't see the movie back home for full price. 

The few scenes with R2D2 and C3PO felt that they were there just for a reminder it was a Star Wars movie. 

There were som really fun parts with Chewee and the small "gremlins"? Otherwise it was a blant story and movie overall. 

I actually fell asleep a few minutes somewhere in the middle. 

Cheers

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

40years ago

Good replies. Thanks.

I guess Disney buying the rights doomed it to mediocrity. I can't think of anything they've made in decades I've even seen, though I probably have, and forgotten it.

Come to think of it, this movie is so forgettable that i'm having trouble remembering much of it except the bit on that island with the old monks buildings, and that is real.

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Good replies. Thanks.

I guess Disney buying the rights doomed it to mediocrity. I can't think of anything they've made in decades I've even seen, though I probably have, and forgotten it.

Come to think of it, this movie is so forgettable that i'm having trouble remembering much of it except the bit on that island with the old monks buildings, and that is real.

Disney wanted to make money with StarWars and obviously they are making a lot of money with it. I guess that statistically the people who saw the original StarWars movies are now just a small part from the viewers. We (I am part of the original fans) are probably not important for this business. We loved the original movies and we told lots of people how much we like(d) StarWars and I guess with that our part of that business is done.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Disney wanted to make money with StarWars and obviously they are making a lot of money with it. I guess that statistically the people who saw the original StarWars movies are now just a small part from the viewers. We (I am part of the original fans) are probably not important for this business. We loved the original movies and we told lots of people how much we like(d) StarWars and I guess with that our part of that business is done.

I too liked the original the best.  But mostly because it was "original" at the time.  These Star Wars folks know darn well that it's hard to overcome that, but I believe they really try.  And it's appreciated.  I will go to see Last Jedi, but I always wait a week or two to avoid the crowds.  I also believe that it's best to go see a movie with low expectations...and be pleasantly surprised.  

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

I too liked the original the best.  But mostly because it was "original" at the time.  These Star Wars folks know darn well that it's hard to overcome that, but I believe they really try.  And it's appreciated.  I will go to see Last Jedi, but I always wait a week or two to avoid the crowds.  I also believe that it's best to go see a movie with low expectations...and be pleasantly surprised.  

Make sure you don't miss the film - if you want to see it in the cinema. I saw it last Sunday in Terminal 21 and the cinema was not even half full. I guess in a week or two they won't show it anymore.

The biggest disappointment for me was during the bomber scene, when the lady kicked the bomb bay doors open.  Why on earth did she not go down with the bombs, yelling "Yeehaah!" and waving her hat in the air.

Maybe the director thought that would've been too much.

It seems to be a pretty small galaxy, by the way.

16 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I'm not saying it is a "bad" film, just disappointing, as I expected much, much more, like a decent plot and not just special effects.

IMO they put too much into special effects and created a film where the audience have no affinity with the characters. I can't remember a single character in this film I cared about, and the "bad" guys are so cardboard that I can't even hate them, like I could with Darth Vader.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not saying it is a "bad" film, just disappointing, as I expected much, much more, like a decent plot and not just special effects.

IMO they put too much into special effects and created a film where the audience have no affinity with the characters. I can't remember a single character in this film I cared about, and the "bad" guys are so cardboard that I can't even hate them, like I could with Darth Vader.

I agree with you.

In terms of characters, I like the hacker, Benicio Del Toro. He is interesting to watch - a lot more interesting than the new stars and the even Luke Skywalker, who has in this movie little in common with the guy we know from the original movies.