Cheap Charlie Farangs that expect service but do not want to pay

cyberfarang

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes everyone spends money differently.  Arguing over the price of a beer seems so trivial and dumb.

If one is here for sex like many of us.

1 hr Thailand= 20 to 30 bucks and young.  Or, get a young GF for practically nothing.

1 hr many developed countries = 150 + bucks for a stinky old hag.

So, if one is "active" that is thousands of dollars a month less.

But I realized after being here many don't care about sex.  Just drink constantly complain about the cost of booze or a baht bus and many other trivial things to keep those negative juices flowing.  There is some sort of feeling of power in peoples minds I guess to constantly complain.

Seems like an insecure waste of time.

Oh, the curse of testosterone!  How sad that so many are ruled by their little brain. You know, some of us came here for reasons other than the cheap sex.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2018 at 11:43 AM, poanoi said:

yes there are, 400k yearly  income or in bank

(cfr post 162)

No there are not. No financial requirements within Thailand.

Even better: a non imm O (marriage) visa of 1 year is good for 17 months.

And more: you only have to leave the country after 5 months, 10 months, 12 months, (and obviously after 17 months, to get a new one).

But you can only apply for this visa in your home country, or exceptionally in another country that still issues these visa.

The embassy or consulate in your home country can make up their own financial requirements (or not) as they please.

13 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

(cfr post 162)

No there are not. No financial requirements within Thailand.

Even better: a non imm O (marriage) visa of 1 year is good for 17 months.

And more: you only have to leave the country after 5 months, 10 months, 12 months, (and obviously after 17 months, to get a new one).

But you can only apply for this visa in your home country, or exceptionally in another country that still issues these visa.

The embassy or consulate in your home country can make up their own financial requirements (or not) as they please.

welp, i got too much pain to go to my home country,

i suffer enough when i go to Laos to get the marriage visa,

in laos i got 3 month, and in pattaya the immigration officer refused to extend it.

the requirement was 400k in income or bank account,

which i had and proved, but the IO kept on demanding

more proofs of various ideas each time i came back with proof for her last request, until my visa run out

Edited by poanoi

7 minutes ago, poanoi said:

in laos i got 3 month, and in pattaya the immigration officer refused to extend it

Sorry to hear about your pains.

I believe that Savannaket is one (the only one?) consulate that still offers these 17 month visa outside your home country. To be sure, ask Ubonjoe.

And any visa (or even visa exempt) should be possible to extent once with 2 months if married with a Thai (for 1900 baht).

Edited by oldhippy
edited

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

Sorry to hear about your pains.

I believe that Savannaket is one (the only one?) consulate that still offers these visa outside your home country. To be sure, ask Ubonjoe.

And any visa (or even visa exempt) should be possible to extent once with 2 months if married with a Thai (for 1900 baht).

ah, ok, but now i am almost 50 so i can finally apply for retirement visa,

hope the immigration officers at that table isnt the same kinda <deleted>

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes everyone spends money differently.  Arguing over the price of a beer seems so trivial and dumb.

If one is here for sex like many of us.

1 hr Thailand= 20 to 30 bucks and young.  Or, get a young GF for practically nothing.

1 hr many developed countries = 150 + bucks for a stinky old hag.

So, if one is "active" that is thousands of dollars a month less.

But I realized after being here many don't care about sex.  Just drink constantly complain about the cost of booze or a baht bus and many other trivial things to keep those negative juices flowing.  There is some sort of feeling of power in peoples minds I guess to constantly complain.

Seems like an insecure waste of time.

I am not here for sex.. But even if I was, I also have a home in Holland a short time there is not 150+ bucks and not a hag.. Not that I have tried in england, but with how sex work has moved online it didnt appear anything like 150 there either..

Plus lets face it.. Tinder..

12 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Why would I want to drink in bars owned by white men and surrounded by other white men?

I came here to escape white people and mix with young Asian women.

Maybe your not reading what I posted.. None of them (beer republic perhaps) are owned by westeners or really cater to westerners.. Go to My Beer friend, or (get this) Parallel Universe Of Lunar 2 On The Hidden Moon, clearly a farang centric name if ever I heard one and its 100% asian. Namtons is like 95% asian custom.

Do you not go to any of those ever ?? At least to check them out.. You made the 'dont go to hooker bars' but these are the kind of bars where modern young (non hooker) Thais are flocking.. Beer lab has a queue (thais) waiting for a seat.. at 300b a beer.. I was in pai at the weekend, a 33cl bottle (la Chouffe) 220, in a burger bar in pai.. Its not like you have to go find special places any more to see that kind of price and item any more. 

Saying if you dont go to hooker bars its the same as 20 years ago and a night out is 900b.. Come get real, thats not even a round for 4 people. Sure you can drink shit domestic larger, or a hong tong and soda outside your local mom and pop on a concrete table.. But thats not representative of a night out for most is it ?? 

18 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

If you forgo the hookers and hooker bars, it's still like that.

Also if one doesn't want or need to live a western upper class lifestyle. The cost of western food in supermarkets that cater to foreigners is amazing indeed, and some live in apartments that probably cost as much as they would back "home".

Paying for a meal in an expensive restaurant here is as much as back "home". 

Cars are expensive.

However, yes, it is possible to live better here on a lot less than back home  if one wants to.

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Maybe your not reading what I posted.. None of them (beer republic perhaps) are owned by westeners or really cater to westerners.. Go to My Beer friend, or (get this) Parallel Universe Of Lunar 2 On The Hidden Moon, clearly a farang centric name if ever I heard one and its 100% asian. Namtons is like 95% asian custom.

Do you not go to any of those ever ?? At least to check them out.. You made the 'dont go to hooker bars' but these are the kind of bars where modern young (non hooker) Thais are flocking.. Beer lab has a queue (thais) waiting for a seat.. at 300b a beer.. I was in pai at the weekend, a 33cl bottle (la Chouffe) 220, in a burger bar in pai.. Its not like you have to go find special places any more to see that kind of price and item any more. 

Saying if you dont go to hooker bars its the same as 20 years ago and a night out is 900b.. Come get real, thats not even a round for 4 people. Sure you can drink shit domestic larger, or a hong tong and soda outside your local mom and pop on a concrete table.. But thats not representative of a night out for most is it ?? 

But thats not representative of a night out for most is it ?? 

Stats please.

Not saying I'm representative of anything, but if I was silly enough to go to a place that charged 300bht for a single drink, that would be because I lost my mind.

Frankly, if one is only here to drink imported beer, one deserves to pay large.

Its not like you have to go find special places any more to see that kind of price and item any more. 

True, but no one is forcing anyone to use them.

11 hours ago, poanoi said:

in laos i got 3 month, and in pattaya the immigration officer refused to extend it.

the requirement was 400k in income or bank account,

which i had and proved, but the IO kept on demanding

more proofs of various ideas each time i came back with proof for her last request, until my visa run out

Had you used an agency, your pain would probably have been over first time.

But thats not representative of a night out for most is it ?? 
Stats please.
Not saying I'm representative of anything, but if I was silly enough to go to a place that charged 300bht for a single drink, that would be because I lost my mind.
Frankly, if one is only here to drink imported beer, one deserves to pay large.

Its not like you have to go find special places any more to see that kind of price and item any more. 
True, but no one is forcing anyone to use them.

I doubt that you will find credible stats on the spending habits of farangs in Chiang Mai but he seemed to be saying that it's mostly Thais buying those 300 baht beers.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NancyL said:

Oh, the curse of testosterone!  How sad that so many are ruled by their little brain. You know, some of us came here for reasons other than the cheap sex.

I had to laugh at that, considering how many of us ended up looking for "cheap sex" and "love" in Thailand because we gave up on western women, you being a western woman and all that.

:sorry:

3 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

I doubt that you will find credible stats on the spending habits of farangs in Chiang Mai but he seemed to be saying that it's mostly Thais buying those 300 baht beers.

I think a lot of rich Thais just give their children a few thousand baht and send them out to party at night. 

Once there was a thread on TV about how Thai women treat western women.  They treat us just fine.  The only time I've ever been given the "stink eye" or treated with less than respect was by older western men.  Some of them truly think retirement visas shouldn't be given to women.  I guess our presence reminds them too much of their failures in their home countries.

Spot on. That belief that they are God's gift to women and that western women are hags is much more prevalent among gutterballs who somehow rolled into Thailand than among men who moved here after having some degree of success in the West.
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Once there was a thread on TV about how Thai women treat western women.  They treat us just fine.  The only time I've ever been given the "stink eye" or treated with less than respect was by older western men.  Some of them truly think retirement visas shouldn't be given to women.  I guess our presence reminds them too much of their failures in their home countries.

You (a western retired woman) have money and they want it.

Why wouldn't they treat you as well as they treat a retired western man?

As for 'our' failures in our home countries.

More to do with western divorce laws than anything else IMHO.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Niman is an overpriced tourist trap mainly catering for foreigners ......... so no.

half of those places are outside nimman.. 

My local village bar, out on a tiny back rd in nahm preah.. Its cheapest beer is IIRC 220.. They sell no domestic beer at all.. In a village, 25kms from niman.. 

Big night out in the village for 900b.. 3 beers and a tip. 

23 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I cook all my own food (western), as long as I'm happy without beef it's much cheaper than the UK.

I was back in the UK last year, 5 quid for a pint in a pub (200bht) Vs 90bht for a pint at a Thai nightclub (Oxide, Milk Club et al)

Just making toffee (about 10bht for a slab, 100bht/kg) and about to start a Key SEA Lime pie (35bht).

I've never lived so well or so cheaply as I am now, anywhere in the world.

Same here to an extent.     I'm a serious crock pot user and find both the chicken breast and pork filet in Thailand to be good and reasonably priced.      I bought some ground  round at Tops or Villa I believe a few months ago but haven't gathered the nerve to cook it yet for tacos.

• Like 1

Its kind of comical that the responses have been 

Going back 20 years I could go out for an evening with friends in Chiang Mai, first stopping off for a meal at one of the many cheap Farlang food type run by Thais cafes or restaurants, then hit a bar, drink beers and gin & tonics including lady drinks with the company of young attractive bargirls and get the girl short time into the bargain all for around 900/1200 baht for the evening. 

If you forgo the hookers and hooker bars, it's still like that.

Avoid bars catering to foreigners and it's 90bht MAX for a big Leo.

Why would I want to drink in bars owned by white men and surrounded by other white men?

I came here to escape white people and mix with young Asian women.

Niman is an overpriced tourist trap mainly catering for foreigners ......... so no.

So to mix with young asian women.. But dont go to niman... dont go to bars either catering to or owned by 'white people'.. Dont go to any modern hip trendy young craft beer places.. And you can do it all including meeting the young asian minx for 900b. 

I bet she will be impressed.. 

Thais are spending far greater sums than they used to.. The busiest bars are the ones charging the 250 - 300b and up beers.. When people post the 'we are no longer getting the attention' type threads maybe its because of spending patterns that equal 3 beers in popular, trendy, young thai population places.. 

8 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Same here to an extent.     I'm a serious crock pot user and find both the chicken breast and pork filet in Thailand to be good and reasonably priced.      I bought some ground  round at Tops or Villa I believe a few months ago but haven't gathered the nerve to cook it yet for tacos.

I tend to make pork or chicken burritos, costs nothing to make the taco wraps, bit of flour and a squeeze of palm oil.

Pong palow (Chinese 5 spice) and soy sauce cheap in 7-11, and tua ngoh (bean sprouts) 10bht for a big bag at the markets.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

So to mix with young asian women.. But dont go to niman... dont go to bars either catering to or owned by 'white people'.. Dont go to any modern hip trendy young craft beer places.. And you can do it all including meeting the young asian minx for 900b. 

Well, all you need to 'mix' with young Asian women is BeeTalk on your smart phone 2000bht, and a short time hotel room. WeChat even has a 'who is near' function where you can browse their photos first. CM is full of university students with a 'side line'.

But I'm happy to go for a night out in Milk Club, Oxide, T-Bar with a mate and buy large beers at 70-90bht a bottle and just look at the serving girls. 900bht, no way, more like 500bht including food, more than 3 large Leos and I tend to fall over.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

6 hours ago, NancyL said:

That's a good one NancyL. Got a genuine chuckle from me it did.

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

Its kind of comical that the responses have been 

I bet she will be impressed.. 

Thais are spending far greater sums than they used to.. The busiest bars are the ones charging the 250 - 300b and up beers.. When people post the 'we are no longer getting the attention' type threads maybe its because of spending patterns that equal 3 beers in popular, trendy, young thai population places.. 

Are you serious? The "hip young trendy" Thai girls that go places like that are no more likely to have sex with the average elderly expat than "hip young trendy" girls back home, so why would we go there anyway?

Secondly, why would we give a monkey's what "hip young trendy" Thais are or are not doing. I have zero interest in hanging out with them, but I do with ones that are friendly to older farangs, which are not in the bars you talk about.

You don't seem to realise that we can get all the attention we want, even now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Sure good idea but if it is about saving money, you are getting ripped off at Villa and Tops.  Major rip off.

Almost double what you pay at a fresh Thai market.  Or even Makro is much better.  And much fresher. They will grind a steak or chicken for you 1/2 the cost of the places you mentioned.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Sure good idea but if it is about saving money, you are getting ripped off at Villa and Tops.  Major rip off.

Almost double what you pay at a fresh Thai market.  Or even Makro is much better.  And much fresher. They will grind a steak or chicken for you 1/2 the cost of the places you mentioned.

Thanks for that idea.      There are probably a bunch of options I should explore.

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you serious? The "hip young trendy" Thai girls that go places like that are no more likely to have sex with the average elderly expat than "hip young trendy" girls back home, so why would we go there anyway?

Secondly, why would we give a monkey's what "hip young trendy" Thais are or are not doing. I have zero interest in hanging out with them, but I do with ones that are friendly to older farangs, which are not in the bars you talk about.

You don't seem to realise that we can get all the attention we want, even now.

The last line seems in direct contradiction to the first paragraph.. 

The point I am making is.. When someone says they could go out, have a meal, some drinks, then lady drinks, then company of a gal all on 1000 - 1500 (he said less) and that gets a reply you still can if not in hooker bars.. Your having to really scrape the bottom of the pricing barrel. If its not in hooker bars the non pro hotties are in those trendy fashionable bars.. 

Then to say your not interested in young fashionable bars because you dont get female attention.. well, thats my point. Bottom barrel spending wont. 

Personally I love that chiang mai has a young urban thai class of people, with budget to spend and a fun time to be had.. I love that they now have a decent beer scene so we no longer need to drink dire domestic lagers.. I love that in the last year or two thats spread from downtown even out into the villages, where 250b beers are not raising an eyebrow and its Thais by far outnumbering expats.. If that leaves a few old farts who start to feel pained that a nights gone over 1000b well not really my problem, and not the younger wealthy Thais who wont give them a second look either. Time is moving on and that class of retiree is not likely to find it getting any cheaper or friendlier. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

TThe point I am making is.. When someone says they could go out, have a meal, some drinks, then lady drinks, then company of a gal all on 1000 - 1500 (he said less) and that gets a reply you still can if not in hooker bars.. Your having to really scrape the bottom of the pricing barrel. If its not in hooker bars the non pro hotties are in those trendy fashionable bars.. 

I don't believe I mentioned drinking with hookers on a night out.

In fact I specifically excluded bars aimed at foreigners.

And stated a night out with a mate for around 500bht.

At my age drinking, then taking a girl home would be a complete waste of her time and my money.

CM is a University town, 1/5 of my daughters University course had to drop out as they didn't have the 8,000bht term fees required in December. I don't know what part of CM you live in, but ain't where most of the Thais (or me) are living.

One of my wife's class mates spends 100k a month on rubbish, her parents aren't wealthy (in debt to their eyeballs), and she earns 40k of that wearing a Leo dress in the evenings.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1