Junta ‘unfazed’ by plunge in popularity

rooster59

By THE NATION

4b334f65c6fd6ea09bc8aa3805024674.jpeg

Government Spokesperson Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd

PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha was unfazed by a state-conducted survey that showed the junta government’s popularity had hit a three-year-low, Government Spokesperson Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said yesterday.

Conducted by security agencies, the nationwide survey showed the government’s approval ratings at 5.73 out of 10 in its third year, well below the 7.02 it scored six months after the 2014 coup.

Rising unemployment, falling agricultural prices and increasing living costs were seen as the reasons for change in public sentiment towards the junta government. The grassroots people also feel the need to be taken care of because of their economic vulnerability.

Sansern reasoned that it was not unusual for any new government to enjoy a “honeymoon period” before its popularity decreases over time.

“Whatever the result of any poll, the government will continue to pursue its policies. We are not upset or negligent. Those economic problems will remain our focus too,” he said.

Meanwhile, politicians continued to urge Prayut to come clean on his future plans after he said recently that he was now a politician and that he did not rule out the possibility of becoming an “outside” PM after the next election.

7737a4362da11593a1357c053ae89903.jpeg

Jurin Laksanawisit

Democrat Party deputy leader Jurin Laksanawisit said the junta leader’s move signalled a shift in his role towards the political arena – from being a so-called referee to a player. 

“He no longer needs be reluctant to accept the possibility of becoming an outsider PM after coming out as a politician,” Jurin said. “He can now act like a politician without having to be reluctant any more.”

Nipit Intharasombat, another Democrat deputy leader, said Prayut’s remarks might benefit him in future politics.

“Like other politicians, he has to accept scrutiny and political morals. Politicians, unlike Army chiefs or civil servants, have to live on public trust,” said Nipit.

Nikorn Chamnong, Chart Thai Pattana Party director, said that it was for the public to justify whether the junta premier’s announcement would create a political advantage for their camp. “Although mechanisms may be created to build such an advantage, public perception may however change from advantage to disadvantage,” Nikorn said.

He also worried about Prayut’s promise to hold elections this year as the details of the draft laws on MP election and Senate selection have not been seen or discussed by politicians yet. According to the charter’s Article 77, parties related to any law shall be asked for opinions during the legislation process of such a law, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30335524

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-06

5 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

They should probably get used to this...

There are some Thai people who felt that the coup was okay, especially in order to oversee the Funeral and the Coronation. I am not sure I agree, but my voice does not count.

However, these things are done now, and the promise made was that after these were done, the military would cede power back to civilian leadership. 

Many/most people have a dim view of politician's actions, but there is a difference between government doing stupid things and governments reneging on things. I suspect that the Thai people are taking a very dim view on Prayut's breaking of a promise to leave office after the Funeral and Coronation.

Get used to the plunge, Junta. It is going to get worse, not better.

Junta unfazed, they dont care pension funds have been topped up, expensive watches acquired (borrowed):cheesy:

If anybody speaks out too much they are taken for attitude adjustment.

They also have use of article 44, so they will plod on regardless.

I expect a election, but it wont be a democratic one.

It will be the new thailand ruled by the self elected pm.

There is no other option.  This man says every day Thai people are like children and need to be told how to dress,drive,eat,and work.

Thats how it is now and thats how it will always be.

Why would a junta ever be popular?  Is there a section of Thai society that thinks that having a bunch of soldiers running the country in in some way normal? Why not an unelected group of bus drivers, or dentists, or teachers, or hoteliers running the country?

They are going to have to throw more money at it,

then their popularity might increase,so cannot see

any election until the PM's popularity rises,if he is

going to take part in it.

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
correction

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha was unfazed by a state-conducted survey that showed the junta government’s popularity had hit a three-year-low,

that is his military general mindset;

and that will prevent him from ever being a successful politician;

he simply doesn't care and he will not be able to fool enough voters and appointers

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

"Politicians, unlike Army chiefs or civil servants, have to live on public trust,” said Nipit."

So reassuring to see him cut self adrift from the military he led that put him in power. We can trust the military. To throw out popularly elected government if it doesn't suit their needs.

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Rising unemployment, falling agricultural prices and increasing living costs were seen as the reasons for change in public sentiment towards the junta government. The grassroots people also feel the need to be taken care of because of their economic vulnerability.

But, but, exports and growth are booming according to the figures the government publish !!

Because none of them are politicians, they may have missed the one about continually pushing people with taxes here, there and everywhere and I be a 1% rise on VAT is in the pipeline too in the not so far future.. The nonsense about export, TAT and growth figures means ziltch to most ordinary local people and only really applies to medium and large business. Your average Thai Joe only sees the prices of things go up and how much cash is in their pockets when they go to 7 or Tesco etc. It's easy to store up resentment in populations on this one. Care is definitely needed to tread this path correctly and some of the most experienced politicians get it wrong.  

Edited by Sir Dude
Typos

? a politician would be

i guess that answers the question about the truth behind the “i am a politician” claim

oops typeset error... sorry

Edited by farcanell

I dont know all the circumstances why the army took control But by now they should of handed back power I think its been nearly 4 years now 2 years should of been enough They would be the only  ones who think the Thai economy and living standards are good Bit like all dictatorships At first all is rosy and smiles and after a while you become on the nose so to speak

He is tackling corruption, not as fast a ppl would like, but it is being addressed. Who else in previous Government has made similar efforts? What other political party can bring about peace in the same fashion? What better solution does Thailand have but to keep the status quo intact?

5 minutes ago, the guest said:

He is tackling corruption, not as fast a ppl would like, but it is being addressed. Who else in previous Government has made similar efforts? What other political party can bring about peace in the same fashion? What better solution does Thailand have but to keep the status quo intact?

While you have made such bold statements  and i am sure you are not wrong in all you say  Can i ask you one question How is the battle going with corruption after more than 3 years in power? Do you think it is better or worse? 

1 hour ago, Happyman58 said:

While you have made such bold statements  and i am sure you are not wrong in all you say  Can i ask you one question How is the battle going with corruption after more than 3 years in power? Do you think it is better or worse? 

Quote " On 2 June 2014, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha declared "war on corruption" after seizing power in the 2014 coup d'etat and setting up a military junta, the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to govern Thailand.[8] Prayut has made the issue one of the focus areas of his premiership. The first time he spoke on his weekly TV program "Returning Happiness to the People" in August 2014, he described corruption as "deeply-rooted in Thai society,..." and made promises to fight it.[9] " 

Better than before, I'm sure it can't be any worse than the predecessors. At least he's addressing the issue.

1 hour ago, the guest said:

WHen you fight selectively and sparing those closed and aligned to you, it is no effort nor solution. In fact, it is the worst kind of corruption. 

On 1/6/2018 at 8:05 AM, Jeremy50 said:

Why would a junta ever be popular?  Is there a section of Thai society that thinks that having a bunch of soldiers running the country in in some way normal? Why not an unelected group of bus drivers, or dentists, or teachers, or hoteliers running the country?

Actually I think all the groups you have mentioned would do a better job. I quite like the idea of a group of dentists running the country.

23 minutes ago, puffy said:

Actually I think all the groups you have mentioned would do a better job. I quite like the idea of a group of dentists running the country.

Sod that. 'Is it safe...?'

images.jpeg