Briton killed in Samui road accident, Russian in custody

webfact

16 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

84% of adult Russians are not alcoholic, is that relative?

Depends of the definition alcholic - a russian average consum of alchohol would probably kill any other non russian individual...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

84% of adult Russians are not alcoholic, is that relative?

Same like where I come from we often saw the English as people with a heavy drinking culture.. if i mention this here i get laughed at and told its not true. Its all in what your used to and what you want to see. 

Like if you think that black fortuners are bad in traffic you start to notice them and your preconceptions come true. 

38 minutes ago, starcandle said:

I had a customer leave my bar stone cold sober, he was struck by a motorbike at about 60kph and was thrown 30 meters, it wasn't a nice sight and the damage was so horrific he was deceased by the time I got across the road. So your 600km/h comment is unwarranted 

I thought it would be obvious to most, but let me spell it out for the "slower" people:

My "600km/h" estimate was not a serious estimate based on calculations and an on-the-spot investigation I have done. It was just a number I picked out of thin air to show my disbelief of the stated claim the guy was hurled 25 meters. Looking at the photo of the car you can easily imagine that the victim was "transported" on the hood of the car instead of "hurled" for that distance. The media just quoted someone making an unbased statement in an attempt to spice up the article to attract/maintain readership.

Same with your statement; i do not doubt the person ended up 30 meters further, but i do seriously doubt he was "thrown" for 30 meters. 

28 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Depends of the definition alcholic - a russian average consum of alchohol would probably kill any other non russian individual...

It doesn't depend on the definition of alcoholic, it remains a generalisation, the average alcohol consumption in Russia is 20 litres of vodka per year, that's one double vodka per day, you think one drink would kill a non Russian?

It doesn't depend on the definition of alcoholic, it remains a generalisation, the average alcohol consumption in Russia is 20 litres of vodka per year, that's one double vodka per day, you think one drink would kill a non Russian?

I think your missing the point. It's amongst the highest in the world and that trend grows massively on holidays

"Alcohol consumption in Russiastays among the highest in the world. According to the WHO in a 2011 report, annual per capitaconsumption was about 15.76 litres, fourth highest volume in Europe."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_consumption_in_Russia

On 1/11/2018 at 8:29 PM, toughlove said:

I think your missing the point. It's amongst the highest in the world and that trend grows massively on holidays

"Alcohol consumption in Russiastays among the highest in the world. According to the WHO in a 2011 report, annual per capitaconsumption was about 15.76 litres, fourth highest volume in Europe."

Every nation has its own vices

Heroin 

Cocaine

Starbucks 

Tobacco

Benzodiazepines 

Ssri's

Weed

Nootropics 

Crack

Whisky

Meth 

Obesity

Psychedelics

Diabetes/Coca-Cola 

Whatever <deleted> else?! 

Even Thailand had the highest rate of infidelity  according to a durex survey + road deaths too... 

Even wasted drunk on cheap vodka the Russians can't usually out carnage the Thai driving standards so this guy was extra talented.... :thumbsup:

There has been nothing said officially that there was alcohol involved with the driver but there are many on here that would prefer to brand people without any proof of what has been involved. What it shows is how ignorant and arrogant those people are and how quick they are to point the finger and make unproven claims.

11 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Wow, guess the guy was driving somewhere around 600km/h to be able to accomplish that.

Really, at 60 mph you could possibly be hurled 27 metres it’s all in the math. 600 km an hour are you that drunk or just being a typical TV poster not respecting that this is actually a tragic event. RIP Peter

6 hours ago, Grauwulf said:

Really, at 60 mph you could possibly be hurled 27 metres it’s all in the math. 600 km an hour are you that drunk or just being a typical TV poster not respecting that this is actually a tragic event. RIP Peter

See post #93.

Typical forum poster who reads a few comments and already starts reacting on it without reading the total of 90 reactions.

First read everything before reacting. If you are not willing to do that, just don't react.

RIP to the Brit, Shame on the Russian for his speeding, causing a death, I hope he gets lots

of jail time. I have been to Samui  twice and survived, won't go back either as the roads are

dangerous, seen the beaches and drank at several bars. I did manage to stay at good small

Thai run beach side Motels, Guest houses, and the people who live there were friendly and

helpful, and even were invlted to a staff Birthday party where I drank some free brandy and ate

great party food. Good memories and plan to keep it that way.

I do my visiting on the mainland these days.

Geezer

11 hours ago, toughlove said:

That does not make it fair to generalize.  Perhaps you come from the country with the highest rate of child molestation, would you feel it justified to be suspected by all of being a pedo based on your nationality alone?

18 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I wonder if it was the other way around , or the driver was Thai?

I can only quote what happened to me back in June last year when a Thai in his Pickup drove right through a red light at high speed (c 160kph) and knocked me flying off my motorbike, I was about 0.1sec from suffering a similar fate to this poor Englishman, but luckily hit the side and not the front of his vehicle. After 8 days in hospital and suffering many broken ribs, punctured lung and a now crippled left hand, the Thai walked free from an charges after our police station "compensation" meeting, even though he was found 100% at fault as it was all caught on CCTV.

Go figure eh!

KB

As I have stated previously-

And why are these drivers speeding in the first place? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

Now for my scooter rant:

Many of us drive motorcycles or scooters here, and it is dangerous getting on the roads with some of these other drivers. 

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

I was told by a very reliable source. He did not have an agenda. He rescued alot of the survivors. He attended to alot of the ones who did not make it. The press here is highly censored. The report only what the so called leaders want them to report. Nothing else. Social media? Why would social media report these statistics? They report individual accidents, but not overall statistics. Anything you read about accidents on Samui in the media would be false. 

• Road deaths are now calculated based on fatalities on-site. Victims dying later in hospital not counted.
  • In 2000 there was an average of 30 deaths a month on Koh Samui (official figures released each month).
  • Now it is stated that Koh Samui has 3-5 deaths each month (using the new way of reporting road deaths).
  • In the last ten years the population has almost doubled and there are now 5x more vehicles on Koh Samui.
  • Based on ‘official figures’ today it is possible to estimate that Koh Samui currently has 60 deaths per million per year. (Compared to 23 in London.) Based on the population and traffic density statistics from 10 years ago Koh Samui has in reality 720 deaths per million per year. This is probably the highest rate of road deaths in the world. Samui is a fatality death spot that nobody is willing to acknowledge!

23 hours ago, korkenzieher said:

It takes a lot of energy to dent a bonnet (hood) like that - closing speed of 100mph. Maybe greater. This is what terrifies me about living here - take all the precautions you like - but then some clown driving in the dark, down twisty lanes, at speeds he wouldn't dare do at home, comes into your space. RIP Mr Peter.

Yes, "take all the precautions you like - but then some clown driving in the dark, down twisty lanes, at speeds he wouldn't dare do at home".. this terrifies me to. R.I.P. Mr Peter

20 hours ago, AnnaL said:

So much Russophobia and national hatred here guys! Is it even considered normal in your countries in the moral perspective? I am Russian, but I drive carefully and am not constantly drunk after dark. So do many of other Russians on Samui, too. Maybe you don't recognize their nationality if they are polite and sober? How do you feel when you are regarded with racism (I.e. by Thais sometimes)?

The man here stayed put and waited for the police to come. If he was drunk, the news would surely mention that.

Great post, made my change my mind about Russians a bit,...thx.

(only stupid people never change there mind)

Best regards.

21 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Since when have eye witnesses been able to confirm how fast a car was travelling?  

She didn't say what mph/kph the car was traveling, only that it was speeding. If you cant tell when a car or other road vehicle is going faster than it should be then if I was you, I would be careful when crossing the road

23 hours ago, Cranky said:

No evidence whatsoever to say the Boris was drunk or speeding.  Cars are designed to dent easily.  Who's to know if the Brit was hammered and stumbled in to the path of the car?  

.......mabe because the eye witness said "the farang was waiting to cross the street when the car hit him"

dunno, but appears obvious to me - hopefully there is some CTV footage of the incident that shows it either way.

1 minute ago, TunnelRat69 said:

.......mabe because the eye witness said "the farang was waiting to cross the street when the car hit him"

dunno, but appears obvious to me - hopefully there is some CTV footage of the incident that shows it either way.

Eye witnesses have been proven to be unreliable time and time again... 

Equally so, the Eye Witness did not say that "the farang was waiting on the pavement (sidewalk) when the car hit him"...

It certainly appears that he was not at the side of the street and quite probable that he was already crossing without looking in both directions. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Eye witnesses have been proven to be unreliable time and time again... 

Equally so, the Eye Witness did not say that "the farang was waiting on the pavement (sidewalk) when the car hit him"...

It certainly appears that he was not at the side of the street and quite probable that he was already crossing without looking in both directions. 

not to nitpick but I read the post - it says this:

"A witness identifying herself only as Rungnapha told police she’d seen the Briton parking his motorcycle opposite a beer bar and waiting to cross the road when a speeding car hit him."

but you are correct, witnesses can be unreliable, only CCTV footage will show for sure.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I would say that the main problem is those drivers that are driving too fast and/or in other ways not driving accordingly with local area and road conditions. If the drivers would act with just some reasonable level of common sense, there would be far less accidents. Blame the drivers – and also some pedestrians not looking out before crossing as a street – before blaming the government and police; numerous warning signs and street markings are already in place (many more since you, spidermike007, left the island), so just act accordingly.

However, I agree in that more road checks – for mainly drunk drivers, but also speeding – and better education of drivers might help, and that counts for both locals and foreigners. Some foreigners in Thai traffic states after an accident that they did something stupid, they would never dream about doing at home (quoting fx. a British lady recently after motorbike accident at Phuket); I'll save you for a long list of stupid foreigners I've experienced in Samui's traffic. In this case it was a foreign, Russian driver that, according to the witness statement reported in the news, was driving (too) fast.

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You presumably already know that when traffic drives towards each other on a dark road & with headlights in both lanes anything (Person, Soi dog, broken down bike, plastic chair manhole cover) between them is rendered completely invisible.

Frightens the life out of me!

A couple of general points re some recent replies:

- While observing the '2 second' rule I invariably find that a joker will see it (the space) as an invitation to 'hop'.

- Three times this week I have seen crashed minibuses (one was full of kids & another was brand new/red plates!) on Naton hill and had a 4x4 overtake me on the hill so badly that he very nearly slammed into the concrete barrier.

- In the mins I spend in the car park during the school run I estimate that less than 10% of kids or parents seen getting into other cars bother to put their belts on.

Rant over & RIP to Mr Pickering.

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed - but did this considerable force come at a speed of 30 kmh / 50 kmh or even faster?

Us laymen are unable ascertain this - it would take an 'expert witness', someone educated in accident investigation to estimate at what speed it would take for someone of this weight and proportion to damage this specific vehicle in this manner.

We (ThaiVisa members) can only wildly guess - it is not unconceivable that the vehicle was traveling at 30kmh, equally so it appears probable to my uneducated self that the vehicle may well have been traveling faster than 30 kmh. 

One earlier post pointed out that there was a 30kmh speed limit in this area - is that confirmed ?

I wonder if you would consider the views of a layman who worked 17 years in road rescue and was trained by the NSW Police Rescue Squad and worked alongside the NSW Police Accident Investigation Unit and was also responsible for filling out reports on fatal accidents for the NSW Coroners Court on behalf of the NSW Rescue Association as someone educated in accident investigation.

5 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

She didn't say what mph/kph the car was traveling, only that it was speeding. If you cant tell when a car or other road vehicle is going faster than it should be then if I was you, I would be careful when crossing the road

I said since when have they been able to confirm, perhaps you are willing to let other people tell you when it's safe to cross the road but I like to take a look and judge for myself.

I really can t think of anything I like about Russians other than most of them are still in Russia.

If he was speeding and the old Brit was standing at the curb when hit, the Ruskie should spend a while as a guest of the Thai Government 

Kudos to the Russian for staying at the scene!

Remember the Brit last year who killed a Thai on a motorcycle, dragged him for a few hundred meters under his car and fled the scene because he 'did not realize anything happened'? [emoji10]

Sent from my ASUS_X008D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived