When foreigner husbands will get a Thai ID and passport as the EU treat Thai citizens ?

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Oh, and anyone turning up at the immigration office at 1.am is immediately deported!!!!  Seriously, don't allow anyone to line up before the opening hours by REVERSING the line would make people turn up later.

Do I detect a poor, abused and generally dicked-about-by-immigration Chiang Mai dweller in our midst?

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Also, don't allow agencies to take ONE number when they have a basket full of passports!!!!  One person, one number.

Or, you can enlist the services of aforementioned agent and avoid (almost) all this pain.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What's stupid is those that find 90-day reports and annual renewals all a bit too taxing, invasive, humiliating or otherwise disagreeable and NOT going somewhere else with a less arcane or more amenable system... like back home maybe?

If you trying to be smart, let me tell you that you fail.

You fail to comprehend that onet can be happy here with one's family and still be unhappy with the underlying shortcomings and xenophobia of the Thai immigration system. And freely discuss it here.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Do I detect a poor, abused and generally dicked-about-by-immigration Chiang Mai dweller in our midst?

Or, you can enlist the services of aforementioned agent and avoid (almost) all this pain.

You do indeed detect a dicked-about-by-immigration Chiang Mai dweller.

I do use an agent now.  Much better for my sanity!  However, it's not morally right we are forced to do this and pay out money (however small) for something that is supposed to be free, and which could be made so much easier all round.  

It's kind of like exploitation of immigrants... which is wrong on so many levels.. biggest in my book is racist discrimination and it gives a bad impression of Thai people.  

I love it here, I like most Thai people I meet, but like anywhere, nothing is perfect, but I can put up with the immigration forms, visits and endless paperwork and extra money... the price I pay to stay here.  

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:

If you trying to be smart, let me tell you that you fail.

You fail to comprehend that onet can be happy here with one's family and still be unhappy with the underlying shortcomings and xenophobia of the Thai immigration system. And freely discuss it here.

I too am happy here with my family and life in Thailand but somehow, after the best part of almost 25 years here, I still don't have any issues with the current Thai immigration procedures. What am I missing?

Have you considered that maybe you, the OP and the others that complain so much about such things are probably the xenophobes, not the people at the immigration office?

You lot are just like the foreigners you so despise back home. The ones that have moved into invaded the abandoned, forsaken cities and suburbs back in your home country. The ones that you hate because they won't assimilate the culture, don't integrate with the local community and (this should ring a bell) fail to learn the local language.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

You do indeed detect a dicked-about-by-immigration Chiang Mai dweller.

I do use an agent now.  Much better for my sanity!  However, it's not morally right we are forced to do this and pay out money (however small) for something that is supposed to be free, and which could be made so much easier all round.  

It's kind of like exploitation of immigrants... which is wrong on so many levels.. biggest in my book is racist discrimination and it gives a bad impression of Thai people.  

I love it here, I like most Thai people I meet, but like anywhere, nothing is perfect, but I can put up with the immigration forms, visits and endless paperwork and extra money... the price I pay to stay here.  

Well, with regard to the sh!t you put up with at that office, I do feel your pain. Some are worse than others (like some of the smaller provincial ones), some are far worse than others (like Samui and Phuket)... and then there's Chiang Mai.

It's not racism. The other guy calling xenophobia is closer but as I said, one needs to take a good look in the mirror before bandying that one about. It is certainly discriminatory but I think that unless you are truly an ethnic or racial minority and have been born and brought up in a truly divided, racially divided country, then you have absolutely no idea what racism is. Being dicked-about by a government paper shuffler three or four times a year doesn't come close.

If one professes to 'love' Thailand, then it can all be quite emotionally challenging. Despite my years here, two marriages, two kids and most of my friends being here, I don't love Thailand and to be honest, I never have. It's like the feelings of love that weren't reciprocated by your high school crush, or the hot date that went cold? The madness of the honeymoon segues into the boring 9-to-5, married-with-kids life and sex maybe once a week (if you're lucky). Your chosen friends here feel similarly cheated and trapped and that's all you end up talking about when you meet.

So the saffron-colored glasses are smashed, the guild is off the lily and reality has kicked in. Get over it. There's no need to blame the locals. It isn't something they suddenly started doing to p!ss you off... you just woke up, that's all.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

You have shown in detail that Thaland does not have an immigration policy. Its a probation policy where all foreigners are treated like criminals.

Thailand does have an immigration policy as you can apply for Permanent residency. 

Doing 90 reports has to do with non-immigrant visas

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Lots of replies form both sides of the fence on this one. Some people hating the system, others seemingly willing to blindly tolerate anything that the Thai system throws at them as they can't think a bad thought about anything in Thailand. Probably even think if they had to have a finger cut off once a year for DNA samples that would be fine LOL.

I would rather just take the middle ground.

Immigration sort themselves out and loose a lot of the endless pointless forms and frequency of required information submissions over the year. 

Fix and only allow 90 day reporting online only would be a good start.

Scrap the TM30 register address thing, apart from hotels.

Do away with the endless photocopies signed passport pages.

Computerise everything... have a database with all out details, photos, address, visas on it to look at when were go there.

Just generally streamline the procedure to make life easier and more pleasant for the 'guests' in the country, and also the overworked immigration staff!

Oh, and anyone turning up at the immigration office at 1.am is immediately deported!!!!  Seriously, don't allow anyone to line up before the opening hours by REVERSING the line would make people turn up later.

Also, don't allow agencies to take ONE number when they have a basket full of passports!!!!  One person, one number.  

Sorry bud, there is no middle ground. Middle ground is whining.

Hopefully, before you move in you read about country, the women, the mentality and you either accept it or you don't.

Do you think I like putting a fake smile 24/7 when I'm out? You think I like the immigration rules? I don't but this is something I agreed to before I moved it. There is simply no point whining about it after the fact. There is no middle ground, only their ground. When I get sick of it I'll leave.

Meanwhile I'm ready to easy op's pain and contribute 500b into his go fund me page....for whatever reason it may be because, hey.....he's in Thailand.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Hopefully, before you move in you read about country, the women, the mentality and you either accept it or you don't.

Do you think I like putting a fake smile 24/7 when I'm out? You think I like the immigration rules? I don't but this is something I agreed to before I moved it. There is simply no point whining about it after the fact. There is no middle ground, only their ground. When I get sick of it I'll leave.

Meanwhile I'm ready to easy op's pain and contribute 500b into his go fund me page....for whatever reason it may be because, hey.....he's in Thailand.

Spoken like a boss who knows the score... Kudos....

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Have you considered that maybe you, the OP and the others that complain so much about such things are probably the xenophobes, not the people at the immigration office?

The use of "Maybe" is fortunate when you talk to someone who is a member of a rainbow family: Africa, Asia Europe.

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You lot are just like the foreigners you so despise back home. The ones that have moved into invaded the abandoned, forsaken cities and suburbs back in your home country. The ones that you hate because they won't assimilate the culture, don't integrate with the local community and (this should ring a bell) fail to learn the local language.

Maybe you despise foreigners but I don't. Immigration is vastly beneficial to Europe even though we have fail to manage it effectively unlike places like Australia. For your info, I am also a "A new Aussie" who, has NEVER felt unwelcome in his country of election.

To summarize the situation, it seems our respective schools of thought are located at the extrême ends of the spectrum.

49 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

To summarize the situation, it seems our respective schools of thought are located at the extrême ends of the spectrum.

Since you brought up schools, maybe it's more like poles apart on basic reading comprehension?

OK, I'll cut to the chase.

xenophile

/ˈzɛnəˌfaɪl/

noun

a person who likes foreigners or things foreign
Word Origin
C19: from Greek, from xeno- + -phile

I am a xenophile. What's your excuse?

BTW, I am Scottish, married to a Thai (formerly married to a Laotian), working in Myanmar for a company with a Russian manager, supervising a Chinese contractor, assisted by a "new Aussie" who was, like you, born in the US and has a Czech wife (also naturalized). It's all good fun isn't it?

PS: My rampant, extreme, ultra-orthodox xenophilia also embraces the remarkable ability to see another country's immigration laws for what they really are and not for what another thinks they are.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

No, the middle ground here is suggesting intelligent helpful ideas that would improve everyone's experience with immigration.... both the Thai staff, and the 'aliens'.  I am suggesting give and take on both sides.

What kind of attitude is 'accept it or don't'.  That's like really pathetic and just giving up on life... and letting yourself be walked all over, and shows that you don't value yourself very much. 

I have been here over 20 years.  I can tell you the immigration procedures, forms, expense, waiting times, and everything to do with it has deteriorated and got much worse.  For example, the stupid idiots going to immigration at CM the NIGHT BEFORE it opens to start lining up... even virtually breaking in and moving the car park barriers to get in there in the darkness.

We never had to do the time wasting TM30 form every time we left out house for just one night (even just to stay at a friends house in the next street).  I was on an ED visa for a while, until they made that so expensive and time wasting it was not worth it.  

I also did not have to travel out of town to some shopping center miles away to immigration... which is difficult for me as I can't drive, and so have to ask friends to take me there.. which I don't like doing.  

I am sorry you have to have a fake smile on your face every day.  For me when I smile it is real because I am happy.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

What kind of attitude is 'accept it or don't'.  That's like really pathetic and just giving up on life... and letting yourself be walked all over, and shows that you don't value yourself very much. 

I am sorry you have to have a fake smile on your face every day.  For me when I smile it is real because I am happy.

While I value your opinion as a long timer here, I can tell you with certainty that no one is walking all over me. As a matter of fact, I am not going to get myself all stressed up about things that even a 2 year old knows you can't change in Thailand. You say you've been here 20 years, so have some self respect and let things go. 

Please prove me wrong and tell me if western whining did any good here in Thailand. Give me one solid example.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ericthai said:

Thailand does have an immigration policy as you can apply for Permanent residency. 

Doing the repetative 90 day reports is what makes it a probation service treating foreigners like criminals. You have to get clearance of any criminality from your home country. Otherwise you can't get any form of residential visa. Thus the 90 day report and TM 30 are both pointless.

On 19/01/2018 at 10:16 PM, ericthai said:

For a policy to exist it must be clearly stated somewhere and adhered to. Since you seem to be aware of such document, could you please share it, so that all of us here can ascertain that we are treated within the bounds of the "Thai immigration policy"...

13 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

For a policy to exist it must be clearly stated somewhere and adhered to. Since you seem to be aware of such document, could you please share it, so that all of us here can ascertain that we are treated within the bounds of the "Thai immigration policy"...

This is Thailand so each department / office will make up their own rules, so it doesn't matter what a book says.  

Here is the link to Thai immigration website for permanent residency.  https://www.immigration.go.th/content/permanent_resident_in_the_kingdom

I have several friends that have PR and one of my friends just got citizenship. 

On 1/20/2018 at 3:02 AM, William C F Pierce said:

You have to get clearance of any criminality from your home country. Otherwise you can't get any form of residential visa.

If you are living in Thailand you only need a police report from Thailand not your home country. 

7 hours ago, ericthai said:

If you are living in Thailand you only need a police report from Thailand not your home country. 

That is not quite correct. If. You apply for Permanent Residency, you do have  to furnish a clearance certificate from the police of your home country. The same applies, of corse, to Citizenship applications.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ericthai said:

This is Thailand so each department / office will make up their own rules, so it doesn't matter what a book says.  

Here is the link to Thai immigration website for permanent residency.  https://www.immigration.go.th/content/permanent_resident_in_the_kingdom

I have several friends that have PR and one of my friends just got citizenship. 

There is no properly articulated policy there. The only document that gets close is "DETAILED INFORMATION NEEDED FOR RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATIONS (BY YEARLY QUOTA PER NATIONALITY)". The point relevant to this thread is 1 1.2 (3) 1). However most people here will be denied as they don't earn income in Thailand. Immigration has simply diverted all applications into the Investment/Business categories by requesting 3 years of tax returns for everyone. They have perverted the process even further by introducing discrimination based on gender. 

Now some Thai brown nosers  are going to say I am "wingeing pom" (or frog),  but I am only stating facts.