Lost history revealed -- amazing 1930's German kayak journey passed through Siam

Jingthing

Almost unbelievable, but it happened.

Oscar Speck couldn't even swim but went by kayak in the 1930's all the way from Germany to Australia.

Hugging the coast as much as possible, and that coast obviously including Siam.

From Nazi Germany to Australia: The Incredible True Story of History’s Longest Kayak Journey

With Germany in tatters, his small business bankrupt, Oskar Speck got into his kayak in 1932 for what would become an epic, seven-and-a-half-year paddle—30,000 miles, packed with hero’s welcomes and near-death escapes, all the way to Australia. But as Speck battled sharks, hostile locals, and malaria, Hitler rose to power and W.W. II began. This is the story of Speck’s voyage, an adventure nearly lost to history.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2018/01/from-nazi-germany-to-australia-the-incredible-true-story-of-historys-longest-kayak-journey

Edited by Jingthing

34 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

This photo is from the article ...

l-MAG-0218-Nazi-Canoe-Trip.jpg.05c5e773499eee5546534ad8a135f69b.jpg

No mention of when it was taken - maybe some years after the journey - but, what is that flag at the bow?

I had to squint before I was sure what that was.  Did you notice it mentioned later in the article? it could be at the actual time.

In the strange bubble world he would live in for the next seven and a half years he would brush up against Germany’s new keepers briefly, fly a swastika, and at least once seek out the Nazis’ financial help. As with so many Germans of his era, the full story of his political leanings will probably never be known. But in 1932, Oskar Speck seemed without any politics at all. “All I wanted was to get out of Germany,” he said later.

6 minutes ago, Slip said:

I had to squint before I was sure what that was.  Did you notice it mentioned later in the article? it could be at the actual time.

I didn't notice that, so you could be correct.

I was just looking at the photo - he seems much older than he would have been at the end of his journey (32-33). Of course, a journey like that could add a few years to his appearance.

3 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I was just looking at the photo - he seems much older than he would have been at the end of his journey (32-33). Of course, a journey like that could add a few years to his appearance.

Sun damage.

4 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

True.

I'm still half way through.  Fascinating.  Thanks for posting JT.