Wine and beer price

Knocker33

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

New taxes on wine but nearly 100% seems excessive. If Mont Clair is going to cost 749 baht for 2 litres no one will buy it. Does that mean their 8 litre boxes are 3000 baht now?

No way in the world would I pay 749 baht for a 2 litre Montclair, it was a rip off at 430 baht IMO. If other 2 litre wines go up similarly I will be giving up wine altogether. Maybe just buy a Jacobs Creek occasionally, at least that's a decent budget wine, with no fruit juice added.

• Like 1

I think there's some price gouging too - after all, Thai buyers of wine are few and far between, so this is ultimately a tourist tax. Prices will probably fall back into line with reason - price elasticity isn't as high as Thai like to believe it is. Likewise, a few weeks ago, grape juice (a constituent of wine... ahem :burp:) shot up from 49 baht to 76 at most stores locally (Bluport, Villa, Tesco). Now it is 69 baht but buy 2 litres, get one free, making the net price at 46 baht - 3 baht lower than it was before the exercise started. People just stop buying the stuff and move onto something else. Meanwhile, the shops are probably congratulating themselves on their marketing strategy. :cheesy:.  The main food plaza here (Hua Hin) has absorbed the price rises so far for the most part (beer particularly) , and they are busier than ever, which is just intensifying the pressure on local bars - I'm simply not prepared to pay (up to) 130 baht for a bottle when I can get it for 60.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I think there's a couple of  typos here.

Mont Clair up from 399 to 749

Mont Clair up from 430 to 530

Which is correct?

No typos. I paid 530 baht, was quoted the same price at two shops. The OP saw the price at 749 baht at Makro.

Edited by giddyup

Tesco Lotus online shopping today has 10 L of Mont Clair South Africa red wine at 1,499 baht, and 5 L at 969 baht.

But they also have something called Mont Clair Celebration red wine, and a 2 L bottle costs 749 baht.

Could there be some confusion over the type of wine? 

13 minutes ago, taiping said:

Tesco Lotus online shopping today has 10 L of Mont Clair South Africa red wine at 1,499 baht, and 5 L at 969 baht.

But they also have something called Mont Clair Celebration red wine, and a 2 L bottle costs 749 baht.

Could there be some confusion over the type of wine? 

Perhaps. I find it hard to believe that the standard Montclair has been increased by 300 baht.

Remember a few months back when they talked about the massive excise rate rises made 'possible' by law, and the tax chief saying they wouldnt be implemented, only a modest rise.. 

How can you tell when they are lying ??? You guessed it.. 

10 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

Montclair was 749 in Makro Nakhon Sawan yesterday for 2 litre bottle.

As it's rubbish and blended here they can keep it on the shelves.

Ha ha yes they will end up pricing themselves out of the market and have no buyers, like Thais often do.

4 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Remember a few months back when they talked about the massive excise rate rises made 'possible' by law, and the tax chief saying they wouldnt be implemented, only a modest rise.. 

How can you tell when they are lying ??? You guessed it.. 

It's the retailers that are fleecing customers.  In this case whether it's 2% or 4%, it's a percentage of TAX not retail price which is quite small.

you need to be drinking monte verde and not montclare.

have been able to find monte verde in cambodia.

monte verde literally green mountain is a wine from a small island off the coast of africa.

try it if you can find it. you will like it.

Just bought a ridiculously cheap bottle of wine at 711 (only writing this as I am anonymous!) as I was going to a restaurant and find paying corkage far more palatable than getting ripped off by their wine-lists.  Already paying double is bad enough, but double or more again is just plain rude.  Anyway, the usual Jacob's Creek Shiraz being sold out there was only 'Mar y Sol' which looked to be total crap but at 299 Baht I thought what the hell.  Corkage was 1 baht more than the wine so 599 all in, so with trepidation I take a sip and was very pleasantly surprised.  Not bad at all. 

Given the option was the restaurant's cheapest option being a crappy something or other (tried it once) at 1,800 it was a result.

11 hours ago, jobsworth said:

monte verde literally green mountain is a wine from a small island off the coast of africa.

Isnt monte verde from Chile?

5 hours ago, leddie said:

Isnt monte verde from Chile?

The wine is yes.

There is an island called Cape Verde off the west coast of Africa...........

Cape Verde does produce wine (none called Monte Verde that I am aware of) and I doubt it has found its way to Cambodia but I guess it is possible.......

Edited by topt
Added text

4 hours ago, topt said:

The wine is yes.

There is an island called Cape Verde off the west coast of Africa...........

Cape Verde does produce wine (none called Monte Verde that I am aware of) and I doubt it has found its way to Cambodia but I guess it is possible.......

The other poster said there is a wine called monte verde from off the coast of Africa which appears to be false?  What are the Cap Vert wines you refer to?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2018 at 11:06 PM, jobsworth said:

If this is the one its Chilean. Its also mentioned as costing around 8 pounds a bottle...

Its no secret that wines are much cheaper in Cambodia and Vietnam..

Unfortunately ( when it comes to wine ) , we here are mainly based in Thailand and its a tad inconvenient having to go to Cambodia every time we want a glass of reasonably priced  wine . .   Image result for monte verde wine

Edited by zaZa9

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2018 at 8:32 PM, leddie said:

The other poster said there is a wine called monte verde from off the coast of Africa which appears to be false?  What are the Cap Vert wines you refer to?

Cape Verde islands were colonized by Portuguese and a small wine culture began.

https://sites.google.com/a/grapevineonline.com/wine_guides/wine-regions/Middle-East--Africa/cape-verde

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chã_das_Caldeiras

On 27/01/2018 at 11:42 AM, Henryford said:

New taxes on wine but nearly 100% seems excessive. If Mont Clair is going to cost 749 baht for 2 litres no one will buy it. Does that mean their 8 litre boxes are 3000 baht now?

The new 3 liter boxes are 999 Baht at big C

15 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Been there many times and well aware of the small Fogo wine region and Cha da Fogo.  However, how does this relate to my question regarding where the Monteverde wine brand off the coast of Africa comes from, as was stated by another?  Do you have a link proving that it is Cap Vert or is it from Chile as the other guy wrote?