Re register every time I sleep away from home?

I, too, am in Chiang Mai. I've stayed a night in Pai since when I've done 2x90day reports and consecutive nights in Thoeng and Phayao after which I've done 1x90day report. All stays at hotels. Not been challenged on either occasion.

In Chiang Mai, as post #8 points out, they're only interested in your reporting if you've left the country, not gone up country. And, if you returned to the same address as your last TM30, no new TM30 needed -- just a copy of your new TM6, the numerics of which they enter into their data base, then annotate your existing TM30 receipt with new date of entry. You've got 7 days to go to Promenada with this new information (not 24 hours). But, of course, Chiang Mai Immigration is not representative of all the other Immigration rice bowls.

• Like 1

OK.  I will complete the TM30 on arrival and this will be in my passport so I am legal. Let the Hotel tell them I am there when I check in and give me my new(?) TM30 for my passport.  Having lived in Phuket for 5.5 years til 2016 I know how Immigration works there.  What's the worst they can do to me?  They will know where I am when I arrive and then when I move.  Do they want tourists to visit or not?  I think not but then there would be no reason for Immigration and no jobs for the officers.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bubba45 said:

I left my home in CM on Sunday and spent four nights in BKK.  Back in CM now.  Hell if I'm running to immigration just to tell them this.  I stayed in a hotel, let them hotel tell them.  If they have a problem with it next time I have to go, screw 'em, I'll go back to America and never come back.  See how badly they miss my thousands of baht each year paying for their stupid, crushing bureaucracy.   

I'm already disgusted by the cost for the notaries, forms, fees, and everything else for the retirement visa, re-entry permits, and the foolishness of registering me as an alien in my wife's home.  Now I understand I need MORE notarized forms from the embassy ($75 for every notarization) to get a driver's license.  Guess all the notarized forms I already have from my embassy saying I am who I say I am are not good enough for the drivers license people.  I'll keep driving without, thanks.

I yam who I yam - I'm Popeye the sailor man! (And don't forget to smile as you pay.) ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YT5 said:

So,  when I arrive in Phuket later this year I will be staying with a friend in their rented home, for 4 days before moving to an hotel.  Do I have to get a copy of their TM30 and register at Immigration?  I thought the TM30 was the document the landlord had to submit to ensure he/she is paying tax on the income.  I will have registered the address with immigration on arrival and the hotel will do the same after I check in.

A number of tourists who go island hopping off Phuket plus Divers who do liveaboards are going to spend a large percentage of their holiday at Immigration in Phuket especially during high season.  What fun.

As long as you don't need immigration in those 4 days, I would not bother.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lagavulin1 said:

Having said that Alfredo, Udon Immi did "force feed" a TM30 on my wife and other ladies two weeks ago. No problem but they did clip part of the form into my passport. You might want to make sure you are covered in Udon at least.

Until now no problem - but, have some new paper clipped in my Passport from Udon Immigration after we asked for permission to register motorbike in my name. 

Whatever - as long as they not hurt me with high fines I not care. :smile:

I recently spoke with immigration in Beung Kan and they told me every time I return to the residence I'm staying at (g/fs home) I need to re register with them in person or she faces a fine, even if I'm away for one night.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recently spoke with immigration in Beung Kan and they told me every time I return to the residence I'm staying at (g/fs home) I need to re register with them in person or she faces a fine, even if I'm away for one night.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I recently spoke with immigration in Ayutthaya re: registering on returning to my residence ( gf’s house) after leaving the country or staying o/night in another province.
The IO told me “ some immigration offices require that, here in Ayutthaya we don’t “.
Of course that could change or another IO in the same office might have different opinions, who knows !!

It’s a lottery !!

I feel for you guys having to register for every night away it really is a f**ked up situation and just goes to show the amount of misinformation which exists within the immigration service is high and really needs addressing but unfortunately as it only affects farangs it’s pretty low on the “ to do “ list !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I recently spoke with immigration in Ayutthaya re: registering on returning to my residence ( gf’s house) after leaving the country or staying o/night in another province.
The IO told me “ some immigration offices require that, here in Ayutthaya we don’t “.
Of course that could change or another IO in the same office might have different opinions, who knows !!

It’s a lottery !!

I feel for you guys having to register for every night away it really is a f**ked up situation and just goes to show the amount of misinformation which exists within the immigration service is high and really needs addressing but unfortunately as it only affects farangs it’s pretty low on the “ to do “ list !!

Yes, I'm of the opinion if that's what they want then I just have to get on with it. It's a pain as she lives an hour away from the IO, but c'est la vie. Maybe they will change their requirements there in the future too, who knows. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, khunPer said:

In principle yes, but check in a local forum if Udon-immigration wish you to do that.

Where I live (not Udon) they have recently imposed the rule, however we can do it online – when self being "Master of House" – if staying at a hotel or like, the landlord shall do the registration within 24 hours. However, if you sleep outside home, and you're not registered (reported to an Immigration office) there, you don't need to re-register...:smile:

Is it now possible to do the TM30 registration online (and perhaps TM28?) for one-off applications?

Ten years back when I worked for a company renting out houses for tourists, we could register them online by logging into the immigration database.

However, for that  it needed to be a registered company doing multiple registrations. It took months for immigration to sort it out, they came to visit us to check our company registration and look around generally.

If it has improved since then, so much the better.

• Like 1

So, what's a home?  If I do the retirement thing via age, I am 60, what is my home?  The first place I file for the extension or did the first 90 day report?  I play to move around quite a lot.  It is likely I will stay in one place, at least rent long term there say Pattaya for one year, but certainly plan to visit Phuket, and other parts of the country.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

So, what's a home?  If I do the retirement thing via age, I am 60, what is my home?  The first place I file for the extension or did the first 90 day report?  I play to move around quite a lot.  It is likely I will stay in one place, at least rent long term there say Pattaya for one year, but certainly plan to visit Phuket, and other parts of the country.

What do you mean? If you stay at some place you have to report it, doesn't matter what kind of place it is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

What do you mean? If you stay at some place you have to report it, doesn't matter what kind of place it is.

yes i have only stayed at hotels, been there on simple visa exempt entries.  but now as I contemplate the retirement there, and stay longer in a hotel, then go away for a few nights then come back, do I have to do anything special, report anything special?

8 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

yes i have only stayed at hotels, been there on simple visa exempt entries.  but now as I contemplate the retirement there, and stay longer in a hotel, then go away for a few nights then come back, do I have to do anything special, report anything special?

It depends on which province you are at, because they have different rules

For example at Phuket, the immigration says you always have to submit a TM30 when you change your place of stay.

So let's say you stay at hotel A, you have to submit a TM30 for hotel A

then you move to hotel B for one night, you have to submit file a TM30 for hotel B

then you stay for a night at your friends place, you have to submit a TM30 for your friends place

then you move back to hotel A, you have to submit a TM30 for hotel A again.

Is this totally crazy? Yes it is. Especially because the hotels also have to file the TM30 (some do this, others don't)

Edited by jackdd
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

For example at Phuket, the immigration says you always have to submit a TM30 when you change your place of stay.

then you move to hotel B for one night, you have to submit file a TM30 for hotel B

then you stay for a night at your friends place, you have to submit a TM30 for your friends place

Is this totally crazy? Yes it is. Especially because the hotels also have to file the TM30 (some do this, others don't)

So all that reporting is expected from me is only if I am on a retirement visa?

9 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

So all that reporting is expected from me is only if I am on a retirement visa?

No, always if you are a foreigner (Only foreigners who have permanent residency are exempt. That's at least what the law says, Phuket does maybe have his own law and wants them to report too)

The tourist who makes holiday for 2 weeks at Phuket doesn't get in touch with the immigration other than at the airport, so he wouldn't notice it and wouldn't be fined. But if somebody decides to make a bit longer holiday, and would apply for a visa extension at the immigration, would then - to his surprise - be fined because he didn't do the reports

Edited by jackdd
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, YT5 said:

Do they want tourists to visit or not? 

Only if you pay "extra" for them to do their job, at some immigration-offices (usually via an agent).

I think not but then there would be no reason for Immigration and no jobs for the officers.

They don't seem to have the ability to think that far ahead - what with Thailand being so special, and all, there can never be a shortage of 'marks' to exploit.

18 hours ago, Mac98 said:

I left my home in CM on Sunday and spent four nights in BKK.  Back in CM now.  Hell if I'm running to immigration just to tell them this.  I stayed in a hotel, let them hotel tell them.  If they have a problem with it next time I have to go, screw 'em, I'll go back to America and never come back.  See how badly they miss my thousands of baht each year paying for their stupid, crushing bureaucracy.   

I share your frustration with corrupt immigration-offices, of which CM in infamous.  You might consider going the Non-OA Visa route, which you can get from the Thai Consulate in your home-country.  This could let you avoid all contact with Immigration offices (since 90-day reports are not enforced at in/out checkpoints), for 2-year periods.  I am sure that is why many do these, instead of getting annual extensions.

Alternatively, you can blow off all reporting, and pay 2000 Baht/yr for not doing 90-day reports, and another 1600 (usually) for failing to do TM-30 reporting.  That is probably cheaper than using an 'agent' to 'handle' these things for you (with brown-envelopes).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Alternatively, you can blow off all reporting, and pay 2000 Baht/yr for not doing 90-day reports, and another 1600 (usually) for failing to do TM-30 reporting.  That is probably cheaper than using an 'agent' to 'handle' these things for you (with brown-envelopes).

I like your lateral thinking on that one!

Pay the fine if it's cheaper and easier for you. As long as you don't get caught regularly of course.

I doubt if there are any repercussions for continually avoiding reporting and keep paying the fines?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Only if you pay "extra" for them to do their job, at some immigration-offices (usually via an agent).

They don't seem to have the ability to think that far ahead - what with Thailand being so special, and all, there can never be a shortage of 'marks' to exploit.

I share your frustration with corrupt immigration-offices, of which CM in infamous.  You might consider going the Non-OA Visa route, which you can get from the Thai Consulate in your home-country.  This could let you avoid all contact with Immigration offices (since 90-day reports are not enforced at in/out checkpoints), for 2-year periods.  I am sure that is why many do these, instead of getting annual extensions.

Heck, I would gladly pay 2000 Baht/year for the convenience of not doing 90 day reports, and also 1600 Baht/ year for not filing special TM-30

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I like your lateral thinking on that one!

Pay the fine if it's cheaper and easier for you. As long as you don't get caught regularly of course.

I doubt if there are any repercussions for continually avoiding reporting and keep paying the fines?

Until fairly recently, I was the "do it by the book" guy.  But after what I went through with corruption and anti-Farang attitudes when trying to get married (amphoes), and then attempting to get a legit marriage-extension (Jomtien) - combined with years of reading reports, here - I realized their system often has exactly nothing to do with "protecting Thailand from bad-guys" or any of that. 

Immigration - at some offices - operates, primarily, as a "legalized" front for corruption.  Any "good" it does is a secondary side-effect.  Trying to be a boy-scout and do things "the right way" just ticks them off - they treat you (and your wife) as if too stupid to "get" that all they care about is brown-envelopes, and you aren't getting squat until you pay an agent.

That said, be sure to CYA.  For example, I will never use agents, just in case a crackdown on bribes takes out a swath of them, along with every application they were involved with.  In some cases, Visas from overseas consulates will work.  In other cases, one may need to move (permanently or "temporarily") to an area where the office will provide a service without one becoming involved in bribes / illegal-activity.  Chang Wattana seems to always have a "legal path" to getting things done - and no TM-30 silliness, either.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Is this not a misreading of the immigration act , 

If you cannot stay at the residence indicated to the immigration official then you have to notify them.

However any other change requires notification to the local police

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, andreww said:

Folks, 

I hear rumors circulating that such registration can be done online by alien himself (see PDF attached), 

Has anyone had experience? Where can we get the password required to log in into that system?

It makes me wonder if the system is still the same as it was before, as I said earlier in my post here:  https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1023102-re-register-every-time-i-sleep-away-from-home/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-12676369

15 minutes ago, andreww said:

Folks, 

I hear rumors circulating that such registration can be done online by alien himself (see PDF attached), 

Has anyone had experience? Where can we get the password required to log in into that system? 

attached: notification of residence.pdf

Suratthani immigration has their own system that actually works (unlike the nationwide one in the link that never ever seems to work). Just visit any immigration office within the province once to sign you up, after which you can do the report online, the same as the hotels do. Works well. 

8 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Suratthani immigration has their own system that actually works (unlike the nationwide one in the link that never ever seems to work). Just visit any immigration office within the province once to sign you up, after which you can do the report online, the same as the hotels do. Works well. 

Somebody has been using their initiative. Excellent!

They'll probably not be promoted and stay at the same level for it though.