ISOC arms Chonburi residents for ‘village defense’

Rimmer

ISOC arms Chonburi residents for ‘village defense’

image.png

CHONBURI:The Internal Security Operations Command in Chon­buri trained civil-defense volunteers to use firearms to defend their villages.

Deputy ISOC commander Maj. Gen. Tatsanai Pratum­thong opened the nine-day 1st Review Drill of the voluntary development and self-defense squad in Bo Thong District’s Ban Chong village Jan. 25.

ISOC said it organized the practice session to reinforce village security so residents can protect against all kinds of threats and to be ready to solve problems on their own through strong integration of community forces with unity.

Military trainers offered lessons to the 40 participants while firearms instructors led practical drills with shotguns to give civilian volunteers knowledge in using weapons to defend their villages.

The self-defense volunteer program was founded in 1974 during the period where Thailand was battling communist insurgents. Despite decades of peace, the military continues to arm civilians to defend their neighborhoods against “enemies of the state”.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-02-02

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

WOW!

I am amazed to hear about this. I would have thought just the opposite.

They are the latest iteration of the "Village Scouts" and their purpose is to counter any "opposition".

If you google it you will see why they are "trusted".

I will not post a link.

(Yes.....it's "real")

Edited by Enoon

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

the military continues to arm civilians to defend their neighborhoods against “enemies of the state”.

Is there some reason the military can't protect civilians against "enemies of the state?"

Amazing that defending the State come down to civilian villagers in times of peace.

Perhaps ISOC might also arm villages in Thailand's South. I'm sure the insurgency can use the weapons.

Ridiculous aside - is this arming more about someone selling a lot of low grade weapons to the military commensurate with an insider fee for the buyer? Be assured no one will risk asking.

Oh dear, this country continues to go rack & ruin, having had previous military experience and not a bad shot will they sign me up ? Can also do a bit of EOD advisory work (from a distance :biggrin: ) IE: don't go near that :whistling: 

I'll have another beer and just listen to BBC Radio 2 for a while :wink:

14 hours ago, Rimmer said:

14 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Military trainers offered lessons to the 40 participants while firearms instructors led practical drills with shotguns to give civilian volunteers knowledge in using weapons to defend their villages.

Are these the military trainers or the volunteers pictured in blue t-shirts?

Edited by james.d