Chiang Mai citizens call for suspension of highway expansion project

webfact

Chiang Mai citizens call for suspension of highway expansion project

By Thai PBS

road1.jpg

Chiang Mai citizens yesterday called for the suspension of the Highway 11 expansion project after accusing contractor of felling century old trees, and unprofessional removal of the trees.

The call was made during a meeting among the local people’s network and academics in Chiang Mai after Peepal trees were cut and removed unprofessionally by contractor to pave the way for the 800-metre expansion of the current Highway 11 from Chiang Mai to Lampang.

At the meeting, they agreed to call on the Transport Minister to suspend the expansion and hold new public hearing of the expansion, via the so-called Citizen Council of Chiang Mai.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chiang-mai-citizens-call-suspension-highway-expansion-project/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-02-15
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OneZero said:

How is all the anticipated future traffic hitting Nimman / Huay Kaew going to be effectively dispersed?  I read about a tunnel under Nimman but no details about costs, when etc etc.

Precisely; what is the use of encouraging more traffic to an already bottle necked junction.

I think the tipping point has come regarding vehicle and environment.

The city government needs to realise that the word eco is not for use with stages and speeches and the odd banana leaf trash basket.

Trees clean the air and reduce pollution, concrete does the opposite!

BBC

Hindustan Times

They need to get serious about protecting the environment and a good way to start is to bury all those unsightly wires and posts, and plant avenue trees.  The average "lot" is getting smaller and smaller in the city area, the only way to increase the percentage of vegetation is to clear the roadsides for trees.

The clock is ticking in regard to the next generation having any air to breathe.

Chiang Mai is developing rapidly, and the congestion on the roads up there is stunning. As usual, little is being done in the way of traffic mitigation. This highway seems like a step in the right direction, but as is always the case, every contractor needs to be closely monitored. They will not do the right thing on their own. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There must be a masterplan somewhere, isn't there, so much money being spend.
The road construction is like a long term investment project on its own.
some thoughts:
BIG parking lots near the Centre before where the motorways hit a two lane road (being 4 lanes less motorbikes and parked cars),
BIG parking lots near CMU / Rajabhat
Big parking lots Hangdong road
Efficient public transport, 24/7, good old fashioned but fast hub and spoke tramways.
and a congestion charge near and inside the moat.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OneZero said:

How is all the anticipated future traffic hitting Nimman / Huay Kaew going to be effectively dispersed?  I read about a tunnel under Nimman but no details about costs, when etc etc.

Yep.  Ring Roads are suppose to be full rings.  Funneling all that traffic right into the city is absolutely absurd and moronically short sighted.  But - TIT.  What do you expect?  I'm to the point where I'm starting to avoid that part of the city.  So killing the project for some cloth-wrapped trees now as opposed to finishing the project and then watching the traffic jams and backups at the intersections of Highway 11, Huay Kaew, and Nimmanhaemin is simply and matter of apples and oranges.  You can't accuse Thais of being able to see the big picture over a long term. 

Edited by connda

3 hours ago, KKr said:

There must be a masterplan somewhere, isn't there, so much money being spend.
The road construction is like a long term investment project on its own.
some thoughts:
BIG parking lots near the Centre before where the motorways hit a two lane road (being 4 lanes less motorbikes and parked cars),
BIG parking lots near CMU / Rajabhat
Big parking lots Hangdong road
Efficient public transport, 24/7, good old fashioned but fast hub and spoke tramways.
and a congestion charge near and inside the moat.

You've been already at City Hall or Counsel?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

You do have to ask.. What did they think was going to happen to the trees ??

Its not like this highway expansion is at the planning stage.

Agree with everything others have written above.. I have only been in CM 7 years but it that time the traffic has just reached a point I find going into the city, to make use of its appeals, such a pain in the arse I rarely bother. Its reaching a point where traffic is reducing quality of life significantly I wonder about another 10 plus years. 

19 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

You've been already at City Hall or Counsel?

yes sir. I could park my car after the first circle already. :-)
good I did not take the missus' truck !

Edited by KKr
  • Haha 1