Money pours in for Brit and Thai wife and child down on their luck in Buriram

webfact

53 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Like a lot of storys like this one I would say  they is more to it than meets the eye .

He worked for various Thai company over the past 30 years ,if they were all legit firms , and he had a work permit and paid Thai tax , and Thai Socal security I would have thought he could get help from them.

If for all thet time he worked he had no work permit ,well ,he has done well not to be caught,how has he got on with 90  day report. 

If he is on a retirement visa, where is that money, should be enough to get him back to the UK.

He is 65, you do not get a UK pension now untill you are 66.

Not at the moment it's 65.5, my mate is 65 march '19 and he gets his in Sept '19. This guy may well be eligible already at 65,- I just checked on Gov.UK site, he is already eligible as 65 now

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sead said:

Sure i feel sorry for this guy but there are people in more need that him. He really should get a ticket back home and he would atleast get cared for. 

Then when he is well again he could go back to Thailand.

Not so sure about that. If he has lived here that long he is not entitled to free care on the NHS. My understanding is that if you are a British expat that has been out of the country for a while ( a year or two ? ) you no longer qualify for free care.

If this is wrong I would like to know what the exact rule is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

Maybe you should study Western pension systems .....

Most of them do not pay pension to expats unless you have worked 30 - 40 years at home etc.

I am from EU and will not get pension because i only worked 35 years in my home country....
Lucky for me I like to work and have private retirement savings....

Question:
Why do so many people her bash other people while they actually do not know any facts ???? 

Maybe you should study the UK system- he would get some pension if he only had 10 years NI contributions, it's very likely he has 20 years and is entitled to receive it every 4 weeks already at his age. As he has not bothered to claim apparently it seems to be another indication of his own irresponsibility and lack of awareness, not really a case for 'compassion' IMO.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, smedly said:

surely he has a UK state pension of some sort and no harm to him but his health issues look like he has stuffed himself over the years into a slug state, does he smoke drink ?

Pretty sad state of affairs that only he has responsibility for

If he has been living in Thailand for 30 years 'working', and has been unable to save for his future, I don't expect he kept up his NHI payments to qualify for the pension. It sounds like a very a sad circumstance... but many Thai families are as badly off.