The Real Reasons Expats Decided Thailand (And What They Think Now)

webfact

The Real Reasons Expats Decided Thailand (And What They Think Now)

By Dan Cheeseman

expat-thailand.jpg?w=735

In many instances there is a stigma regarding becoming an expat in Thailand, stereotypical images of old men with vests, slugging away on a can of Singha beer and ogling the young Thai women spring to mind. In my mind this is hugely misleading and in the majority of cases not true.

You certainly have your areas in Thailand more befitting of such views, like Pattaya, but it’s far more marginal now than its ever been in these locations. Trust me as I live in Pattaya with my family.

But it did get me thinking. What was the primary reason for people deciding to come and live in Thailand in the first place, if stereotypes was to be believed you’d assume ‘women’ to rate fairly highly.

So using the various media at my disposal I did a simple online survey and in a matter of days had an interesting – if not huge – 89 replies back from Expats living in Thailand. At the core to this survey was the question ‘What was your primary motive for becoming an Expat in Thailand?’.

You can see from the chart below that ‘Women’ most definitely was not the driving force. In fact almost 1 in 4 of the replies was a financial reason – ‘Cheaper to Live’.

reasonstobeanexpat.jpg?resize=768,450

1 in 10 cited the reason that they had friends living in Thailand already, so friendships and bonds were a far stronger rationale than sexual relationships – which would have come through from ‘women’ being selected. A further 1 in 10 came to Thailand more to leave their domestic country than the attraction of Thailand itself.

1 in 5 were work motivations whilst 15.87% was due to the warmer climate – and after a recent trip back to the UK in February of this year I can be reminded of how lucky we have it living in Thailand with almost year round sunshine.

All very interesting information.

Full story:  http://danaboutthailand.com/2018/02/19/the-real-reasons-expats-decided-thailand-and-what-they-think-now/

• Thanks 1

For me, I was already in the region having previously lived and worked in Hong Kong for seven years I knew Bangkok quite well. I'd just returned to the UK with the idea of settling and walked straight into a divorce/asset grab so I couldn't see the point of setting up home all over again from scratch in a cold climate, this was in February. So I returned to SE Asia and rented in Chiang Mai, I thought it would be a fairly inexpensive place to spend 6 or 12 months until my divorce was finalised and I could figure out a plan. Somewhere in that year I realised I didn't have to work any more and that I didn't really want to live back in the UK, I always was a warm weather person, eventually, I made some friends and the rest is history. Women? They weren't a part of my motivation to be here or not although at times they were a nice to have fringe benefit. 

• Like 1

In that pie chart diagram , the section marked 'other'  should have been marked ' bit of the other '

This would encompass not only sex with women but also with men and the ones who aren't quite sure.

That little change would give the whole cart a bit more credibility.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, poanoi said:

well, curiously enough my main reason for wanting to live in pattaya as oppose to isaan nowhere
is that i'm longing for western food, especially caviar, but really its the huge selection of everything that makes pattaya superior to anything else. bkk could otherwise compete but 1] i dont like big cities, and 2] temperature are not as evenly smoothen out as a city at sea

the downside with pattaya is traffic jam, pure and simple

The biggest downside of Pattaya as I see it, and just about everywhere outside of Bangkok, is limited public transport.   If Pattaya, Phuket, Samui etc all had properly regulated taxis with meters then they'd all be worth considering, as it is none of them do, so unless you have a car and a driver, life in those places must be a right pain.

I love the Thai people, their attitude towards life, Thai food and the wonderful friendships I have made with them. They are loyal and always very helpful. What I don't like about the country is the hordes of lowlife foreign trash living here now. I luckily don't have much to do with them and avoid them.

• Like 1

I lived in LoS for 2 years, on back to back postings with the Army in the mid 70's and loved it. 

Holidayed on and off there over the years, fast forward to 2005, I married an Australian woman 12 years younger and in private practice,  then the usual farang program of separation, divorce and property settlement (thankfully my loss was minimal) in 2014. 

So back to LoS for recovery R&R and 3 times a year since then.

Just over a year ago met a lovely 37 year old (I'm 65) Thai lady on Thai Friendly,  fully employed (not a Freelancer or Bar girl) owns her own House in Pathum Thani and late model Car;  no kids or siblings and only an elderly mother to care for. 

IMO she's a good proposition and we're in a serious relationship now. 

I'm proceeding cautiously with an intention to relocate to LoS and try the live in relationship thing with her,  but I've much here in Australia to sort out before then;  I expect to be resettled in LoS by late 2019. 

I did the Pattaya playground thing for 3 years, and it no longer interests me;  yeah plenty of fun and good for the ego but no future in it.

9 minutes ago, gamini said:

I love the Thai people, their attitude towards life, Thai food and the wonderful friendships I have made with them. They are loyal and always very helpful. What I don't like about the country is the hordes of lowlife foreign trash living here now. I luckily don't have much to do with them and avoid them.

Ouch that hurt.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

Interesting, I fit in multiple categories.

1. Already had a Thai wife - OK that's a new category (Other?).
  2. To Work - and I get a better salary and pay less tax than back home.
  3. Cheaper to live - no way I could afford a home on 1/2 an acre a 40 minute drive from the CBD of London.
  4. Warm climate - what's not to like after Belgium?
  5. Had friends already in country - already had a good Far-East network in place, so 2. was not too fraught. Walked into a job within a month of arriving.

Interesting; I too have a different reasons for coming to Thailand.

Never had a Thai wife; although I have been coming to Thailand for 50 years.

Only worked in Thailand temporarily as part of a contract in another country--could not find the pay I received as an expat in other places or the salary I could earn at home and I was retired when I came here to live.

Much cheaper to live; housing, insurance, utilities, medical expenses, local foods all cheaper.

I am from Florida, so climate had nothing to do with it.

I did already have friends here, but it was my wife who wanted to stay.

Now, after almost eleven years, she is ready to go; I've always been ready.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Why do I get the impression that "Expats living in Thailand" is defined as white, English speaking, delusional, straight males with so little to occupy their time that they responded to a poorly written, oddly phrased (a kind way of saying "functionally illiterate") survey.

"their domestic country??"  

" bonds were a far stronger rationale than sexual relationships – which would have come through from ‘women’ being selected."

This is even worse than the typical TV survey and no more enlightening.  

How boring....:saai:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, seancbk said:

The biggest downside of Pattaya as I see it, and just about everywhere outside of Bangkok, is limited public transport.   If Pattaya, Phuket, Samui etc all had properly regulated taxis with meters then they'd all be worth considering, as it is none of them do, so unless you have a car and a driver, life in those places must be a right pain.

well, you can buy an mc, but regardless of transportation, its traffic jam in pattaya,

there is no way around it and there wont be without some drastic measures,

or if by a miracle half the population just leave.

15 hours ago, Denim said:

You can almost set your watch by the regularity of these sort of posts.

After reading them you could understandably think that Thai women were not attractive and had no appeal to westerners.

Why ? Because hardly anyone wants to confess that the sexual connection was a consideration.

And yet almost every poster is either shacked up with a Thai woman or else bedding one regularly.

But....hey ho , it's always something else that is the main attraction. It's like the TAT claiming that the attraction of Pattaya is that it is a sporting hub.

well here's a surprise for You: i was very hesitant to move to pattaya,

but a friend had arranged a room for me and it was my first trip abroad on my own,

so that is how i ended up in pattaya.

now 17 years later, its the only place i can call home or will ever call home,

no other place in asia can ever be an alternative, and due to back pain, i also cant move elsewhere

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

If thats the biggest downside its easy to overcome as I see it. I have never relied on public transportation wherever I have lived preferring to be self sufficient, I lived in Pattaya for 15 years never had a problem with transportation, traffic wasn't as bad obviously but that seems to be a universal problem these days.