Using Maslows Hierarchy of Needs to Ascertain Why Some Expats Fail in Thailand

webfact

Using Maslows Hierarchy of Needs to Ascertain Why Some Expats Fail in Thailand

By Dan Cheeseman 

expat-issues.jpg?w=400

It is well documented that for many foreigners whom come to live in Thailand that it ends up going horribly wrong. An expats life in Thailand needs some good initial discipline and awareness. Failed relationships with Thai partners, losing all their money, horrible accidents (such as on a motorbike) and/or becoming alcoholics.

Now I am writing this just as debate, rhetoric and general interest; just one mans observations on what could be going on here, and I wondered if applying Maslows hierarchy of needs to this could shed some light on why it goes so horribly wrong for some expats.

Maslows_Hierarchy_of_Needs.jpg?resize=76

If we look at the basic needs,  then it is quite straight forward – finding a place to rent or buy to live in Thailand, just as you would anywhere else in the world.

I think where it all starts to go wrong is in our psychological needs. It is very easy to get in with the wrong crowd, you know the type, the ones that do nothing more than drink beer everyday or the guys that are always skint. Maybe you start lending some money here and there, it will never end well in most cases. The need to feel like you belong is perhaps more stronger when you are outside of your domestic country too. It would be easy to argue people try far to hard to fit in and fit in with whomever will allow them when in Thailand. People who would never be your friends in your own country can become friends too easily when in Thailand.

I discussed the subject of friendship with many expats in Pattaya and most freely accepted they do not consider their friends here close friends like they had back home. They said making friends was actually quite difficult and more over the in order to make friends they would need to drink in a bar. This of course means drinking, and if not careful, a daily habit forms in order to have friends.

Full story: http://danaboutthailand.com/2018/02/21/using-maslows-hierarchy-needs-ascertain-expats-succeed-others-fail/

• Haha 1

Well as for friends, back home all they good for is to take take an talk shat the same really so no big difference there . I never gave anyone a penny back home an i dont here.

As for doing business here its a no for me ,to much hassle and little reward or big loss isnt that inspiring, so before you move to Thailand make sure you either have atleast £500k depending on your age how far it will last and a  good job or means of support still coming in from back home or all of that combined.

Think it makes a big difference to know the Language to a level where u can have a chat with the Thais . Finding that loving partner true to you and not pulling your wallet strings all the time to send the Isaan crew money every time they yack down the phone to their daughters about hard times is another quest , which i have done thankfully.

Im very happy living in Thailand and am very thankful to be lucky enough to be here with the garden full of fruit trees an veg which is good for the heart out planting in it an eating off it , something you cant do back in UK 

If i could just get this drinking curbed now and my weakness for exotic clubs in check LOL ,but after 17 yrs falling out of them i dont seem to be bored one little bit seeing them wee darlings bobbing about ,  im still only at 47 in March so hopefully can see 50 :))

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

Maslows theory is generally regarded as garbage.

Decades ago I did some psychology course and it was used as an example of someone getting it wrong, even in a subject where right / wrong answers can be argued - this one was rejected long ago.

I had to learn that pile of poo as part of my training, and I thought it was <deleted> 33 years ago. Haven't changed my mind since.

I guess he tried to reduce the most complex psychological system possible down to a simple and explainable theory, but it's not possible to explain the human psych, which is why humans are the most <deleted> up species on the planet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

:sleepy: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Right on......stop the constant "analysing" of Foreigners and their abilities to live a life outside their own country (I presume they are not children)....and start "utilizing" all that is good about Thailand that attracts new people year after year.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

The part about farangs making up stories and lies about their lives is spot on.  I had never met some many hugely successful business men, record breakers, mountain climbers and millionaires before I came to Thailand.

They seem to have a need to show off in order to feel accepted in the group, where all the other guys have similar stories.. and each one tries to sound more successful than the last... with the result that the stores change and get more ridiculous over time.. which can be quiet funny.  

But now, when I meet a farang and he starts telling me how rich he is and how he had been working like James bond for the queen.. or met aliens in the Whitehouse.. I just make me excuses and leave.

I met one that claimed to be the reincarnation of the Dali Llama. Then the speil about needing money started.

However, worth every baht I paid for his coffee, to hear the story.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

foreigners whom come to live in Thailand

when you are outside of your domestic country 

And some "whom come" to Thailand from their "domestic country" may need to rethink what creative self-actualization activities best suit their talents.

Edited by Suradit69

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

So very true but having an active life that doesnt revolve around bars makes all the difference. 

Why? I have spent many happy hours in bars in Thailand, and I don't even drink alcohol.

In the UK, most people I knew at work seemed to spend a great deal of their non working time in a pub. I didn't because of the cigarette smoke and it was always too noisy to converse without shouting.

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Respectfully disagree. Social adjustment issues within the expat community here are very much in need of being better understood. If anything this topic is under-discussed and under-analyzed. Consider the incidence of suicide and alcoholism in the expat community if you don't think people are struggling to adjust here.

Given everyone CHOSE to come here and can go home anytime, I don't see why anyone should bother to "understand" the expat community. It's not as though it's going to make any difference to us, is it?