Arsenal

MiG16

I'd better post, even though I didn't see the full match on Saturday. Chicog must have been locked up or setting off on a bender (or both) on 29th November.

I dislike being in the UK from a footballing viewpoint - too expensive to watch Arsenal live unless they are playing away at some ground with poor attendance and you can't rely on seeing Arsenal Prem matches at a local sports bar if it's a 3pm kick off (we have been demoted down the attractiveness rankings I feel this season - maybe better now we are back in the top 4). MOTD tells you nowt.

Sanchez clearly running Costa close for buy-of-the-Summer now. Good to see Theo back and looking quite fresh. Crappy'ish start to the season really which looks like a mad statement when you consider that we have the third least losses (one) in the whole of the four English divisions. Swansea and West Brom away plus Manchester United at home this month - all winnable but all far from bankers. With our current defence devoid of Debuchy and Koscielny and self-inflictedly lacking any vestige of credible DMF I'll be happy if we maintain a top four slot by the end of the month and look forward to some returns from injury and an acquisition come the new year for a big second half push.

In the Champions League, we need to see off Anderlecht with a good goal tally tomorrow night: I watched Borussia Dortmund lose again in the Bundesliga last Saturday while visiting my football-loving sister in Germany - apparently Klopp & Co are way off form in the domestic game. So, good chance we can beat them at the Emirates later this month, but may still ultimately have to rely on goal difference to get top spot (goal difference has not been Arsenal's forte in recent years and ocassionally it has seemed that Arene does not even take it into account).

Just arrived back at Swampy a couple of hours ago. Strange how dictatorships and the bollux in Kao Tao makes you feel not quite the same sense of unbridled joy that I used to have for Thailand! Still, wall-to-wall football watching possibilities back on the agendabiggrin.png

Edited by SantiSuk

Reality check time! Cruising and threw away a 3 goal lead - a near Newcastle situation (lost a four goal lead 3 seasons ago).

Gong nowhere with this half power defence. Arteta played well but once he went off absolutely zilch cover for the back four and an excellent comeback from Anderlecht. Winning the group now out of the question (we are making heavy weather of an easy group and Dortmund are breezing it) and hopes for doing anything other than making money out of this competition again down to a 30% shot of drawing the leaders from one of the two weak groups.

Arsene once again drives me round the twist with his lack of substitution smarts. Should have been obvious that energy levels were flagging mid half and fresh impetus needed - what do we get? Another 80th minute set of subs.

What kind of organisation must Sanchez think he has landed in. How much longer must we put up with this managerial set-up that seems incapable of pushing the team into the big league?

Edited by SantiSuk

Reality check time! Cruising and threw away a 3 goal lead - a near Newcastle situation (lost a four goal lead 3 seasons ago).

Gong nowhere with this half power defence. Arteta played well but once he went off absolutely zilch cover for the back four and an excellent comeback from Anderlecht. Winning the group now out of the question and hopes for doing anything other than making money out of this competition again down to a 30% shot of drawing the leaders from one of the two weakest groups.

Arsene once again drives me round the twist with his lack of substitution smarts. Should have been obvious that energy levels were flagging mid half and fresh impetus needed - what do we get? Another 80th minute set of subs.

What kind of organisation must Sanchez think he has landed in.

You got jobbed on their first goal that was a yard offside. I switched over to Liverpool and RM at 3-1. Blimey.blink.png

You threw it away...it was a joy to watch!!

Yep if i'd known they were going to provide such comedy i'd have watch it too. Minnyou, the most expensive ground to go to in the country atlas provides entertainment!!

The old french flossy must have been skipping up and down the touchline doing his nut! biggrin.png

I'm surprised that Phil Neville, excellent analyst that he is, seems to have got sucked into Sky commentator hype/promotion mode, predicting attractive attacking no holds barred football and then getting critical when his own predictions don't come good.

With Arsenal coming off a morale-damaging result mid week and with everyone highly conscious of the teams defensive flaws it was never going to be sensible to make attack a focus - in the first half particularly. We'd have been killed if we'd allowed Ramsey to go surging forward and Flamini to do his "where the hecks he going now roving/wrecking job. I think Wenger got the tactics right. That's not to say it will all necessarily come right in the second half, but this is one that we will have to win on breakaways I suspect.

Lucky not to have a penalty awarded against Chambers. He's a good young lad but every so often he makes the most basic naive lunges.

Sanchez in the middle ? Seems his pace is wasted there I would think, though Ox is doing a decent job on the right.

Not the Arsenal crisp passing football so far.

Agreed JD - I'd like to see Sanchez coming in from the left, perhaps even with Podolski rather than Cazorla in the inside left spot.

Yer crap.

Not crap enough to lose at home to Stoke.

biggrin.png

Having said that, everyone seems to be playing at walking pace apart from Alexis and the Ox.

Wait and see Chicog.....

It was only a question of who was gonna blink first and push too many up to expose themselves on the counter. I'll probably be found wrong but I reckon Wenger is playing this one real smart. Swansea's tactics would have been entirely built around how to smother us in their final third and hit a depleted defence on the counter.