Arsenal

MiG16

Agree with that analysis of Arsenal's prospects - Wenger seems to be incapable of putting a good defense together and then he expects us to watch his frustration antics and listen to his whining when they go giving goals and games away.

Sagna still out and Song maybe wants away - we cannot afford more than a couple of injuries at the rear (and when did an EPL front-running team not have a couple of injuries at the back within a couple of months of the season starting?). Mertesacker and Diaby doth not a solid back-up plan for injuries make.

Sagna was exceptional last season. But yes, no cover again and it cannot be said he didn't have the money to spend because he has. He's just not interested in buying defenders.

Whilst i admire Wengers contribution to football i wonder how good his record would stand if he hadn't inherited such a superb back five to kick off his Arsenal career.

You could strike off one league title immediately because theres no way a Wenger created defense would concede so few goals as Seaman and that back four

He's interested when they only cost 1 million (Jenkinson)! To be fair - he did spend out on defenders last summer - Jenkinson, Mertesacker (needs to prove his 10 million fee - no pace nor brains last season) and Santos (looks promising, but probably as a midfielder, which means elsewhere) for 6 million.

I agree Carmine - Wenger rode into fame on George Graham's massive contribution to the art of defending (but Viera, who extended the life of that defence, is down to AW). George Graham, now there's a manager who never got fully appreciated in the history books having later foundered at Elland Road and WHL.

Have any Gunners out there spotted who was on the plane to Cologne. Should give us a clue for the opening line-up next Saturday at home to Sunderland.

Good point about Viera. Magnificent player

Were resigned to that probability so not much wind-up calories in that one.

Yep - I'll get round to it soon

Vela has finally been sold to his Brazilian side Sociedad for an undisclosed fee (coupla' free flings for Arsene when he's on the beach in Rio for the World Cuprolleyes.gif ). I suspect Bendtner, Squillaci and Park-Young will also be 'undisclosed fees'. Probably waiting for a big news days to slip it out.

Bleacher Report (which has been pretty authoritative on Arsenal this Summer) says that Song is almost certain to sign for Barca this week. Very bad news as he seemed to represent the spirit of Arsenal. It seems clear to me that there has been a bit of an insurrection in the camp over the early summer months which has been covered up in the usual Arsenal way - or rather redirected mostly onto vanP. I guess Arsene blew his stack even more than has been let-on at the disloyals ganging up on him (vanP, Song and Walcott, maybe more?) and that is what stimulated the unusually active buying over the Summer, dressed up as squad stregthening. If true I doubt there is a future for any of them at the Emirates. I should be in som nam na/ told-you-so mode as this situation is mostly of Wenger's own making; strangely I find myself sympathising and hoping that he clears out the rotten wood and gets on with rebuilding

Meanwhile the Turkish international DMF, Sahin, who is apparently good, but can't get a game at the Bernebau (no surprise when you look at their rosta), is being actively courted. No problem getting him on loan, but RM are reputedly refusing to give a buy out option at the end of the season. It's getting too late for Wenger to worry too much about the mid term - we need a commited DMF now. All the other likely candidates (M'Vila, Martinez) seem to be sticking with their clubs and since Mancini is locked in with his four strikers the obvious swop of De Jong for van P isn't on either

Bleacher has it that vanP will start for Arsenal against Sunderland on Saturday (wonder what kind of reception he will get) though odds are still on in my book that old Red Nose will grab him before the window closes. ORN cant be seen to be missing the third in a row.

F.C. Koln - Arsenal 0 - 4.

I'm impressed by the new look Arsenal.Was not impressed by RVP's contributions, nor by his disheveled look. Judging by the amount of gray he's sporting he's not had a good relaxing summer

Now I agree the german side was not at it's best but the new boys nevertheless gave a good show. Oh and Gervino scoring clap2.gif

Wallcot once again showed that running into defenders is what he's best at.

Well done the Arsenal

Yermaneewai.gif

Edited by yermanee

I'm impressed by the new look Arsenal.Was not impressed by RVP's contributions, nor by his disheveled look. Judging by the amount of gray he's sporting he's not had a good relaxing summer

Now I agree the german side was not at it's best but the new boys nevertheless gave a good show. Oh and Gervino scoring clap2.gif

Well done the Arsenal

Yermaneewai.gif

Yes - mustnt get too carried away about friendlies, particularly against a lower division side, but this was a very encouraging game.

I thought Wenger made a very pointed statement by starting with all three new boys and leaving RvP on the bench until the 70th minute. It worked big time - Podolski, Cazorla and Giroud gelled with themselves and with Theo/AOC big time. Looks like we dont need RvP after all. Podolski looked sharp and played a number 9 role in a strikingly similar fashion to vanP, Cazorla was a hugely energetic hub and had some great touches (I would say that about a Santi wouldnt I?). Giroud looked lively too but fluffed a couple of good scoring chances that he had done well to position himself for.

On the other hand the defence looked a little suspect at times - no surprise there and maybe better when the best of the two teams (Arsenal played two entirely different teams in the first and second halves, except that Podolski stayed on until the 70th)

Well dome the Arsenal indeed.

My predicted team for Sunderland follwing that:

Sczesny

Jenkinson (or Mertesacker), Koscielny, Vermaelen, Gibbs

Song

Walcott, Cazorla, Arteta, AOC (Wenger already converting him to an attacking midfielder) or Gervinho

Giroud, Podolski

Edited by SantiSuk

Well done the Arsenal

Yermaneewai.gif

Yes - mustnt get too carried away about friendlies, particularly against a lower division side, but this was a very encouraging game.

I thought Wenger made a very pointed statement by starting with all three new boys and leaving RvP on the bench until the 70th minute. It worked big time - Podolski, Cazorla and Giroud gelled with themselves and with Theo/AOC big time. Looks like we dont need RvP after all. Podolski looked sharp and played a number 9 role in a strikingly similar fashion to vanP, Cazorla was a hugely energetic hub and had some great touches (I would say that about a Santi wouldnt I?). Giroud looked lively too but fluffed a couple of good scoring chances that he had done well to position himself for.

On the other hand the defence looked a little suspect at times - no surprise there and maybe better when the best of the two teams (Arsenal played two entirely different teams in the first and second halves, except that Podolski stayed on until the 70th)

Well dome the Arsenal indeed.

My predicted team for Sunderland follwing that:

Sczesny

Jenkinson (or Mertesacker), Koscielny, Vermaelen, Gibbs

Song

Walcott, Cazorla, Arteta, AOC (Wenger already converting him to an attacking midfielder) or Gervinho

Giroud, Podolski

Another Mob getting excited after winning a few friendies 15.gif

That team should beat Sunderland unless they're going to play with 12 men as well 4.gif

Edited by alfieconn

I suspect it is now just all down to money MrRed. No point in hanging onto a player who doesn’t want to stay, as our friends across the road have discovered. Sir ORN wouldn’t have dilly dallied around like AW – he’d have been given the old Tevez/Ronaldo heave-ho in double quick time.

Like I said before - RvP is Dutch (they are like Yorkshire-men and Poles!) - even if he were minded to stay (unlikely) I don't expect him to eat the necessary dirt to do so!

My best guess is he will be your guy at around 22 big ones by the end of the week (but wtfdik :-)). He'll take a couple of months to get his head straight - he looked a bit like he’d been knocked a bit sideways by the whole affair when he came on in the Cologne friendly.

Regrets the circumstances are such with the management and ownership of the club that he had to go, but pleased it is all sorted before the start of the season. £22.5 plus £1.5 for a CL or EPL win by Man U seems an ok price in the circs. I'm pleased Wenger is at least not afraid to sell within the UK. Should give the Reds a good shot at disturbing the emerging City dominance.

3 first teamers bought and one sold Seapok. Wind-ups from pathetic Spuds - talking about your off season performance, nothing personal guys - not even worth constructing the obvious repsonseslaugh.png .

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

I'm pleased Wenger is at least not afraid to sell within the UK. Should give the Reds a good shot at disturbing the emerging City dominance.

come again? you're an arsenal fan aren't you?

Not in true sense of the word - fanatic, Stevie. I've said before, there's no hiding that I'm a Johnny-come-lately to supporting Arsenal (about 5 years). I'm a supporter (and I'm not shifting my ground), not a fanatic. I like the history and ambience of Arsenal (and some parts of the Wenger philosophy). I will continue to stick with them despite being a critic of Wenger. He's got another chance to finally show he can build a successful trophy winning side

I salute all of you who are fanatics - I was one for Carlisle United up until the age of 20, but moving away and then to work in the US eventually disconnected me.

Realistically, Arsenal will not win the EPL this year - no point in being one-eyed about it. For me now it goes Man U, Man C and then too close to call amongst Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool to call for third/fourth. It will ultimatley be heavily influenced by injuries though.

I'm pleased Wenger is at least not afraid to sell within the UK. Should give the Reds a good shot at disturbing the emerging City dominance.

Not in true sense of the word - fanatic, Stevie. I've said before, there's no hiding that I'm a Johnny-come-lately to supporting Arsenal (about 5 years). I'm a supporter (and I'm not shifting my ground), not a fanatic. I like the history and ambience of Arsenal (and some parts of the Wenger philosophy). I will continue to stick with them despite being a critic of Wenger. He's got another chance to finally show he can build a successful trophy winning side

I salute all of you who are fanatics - I was one for Carlisle United up until the age of 20, but moving away and then to work in the US eventually disconnected me.

Realistically, Arsenal will not win the EPL this year - no point in being one-eyed about it. For me now it goes Man U, Man C and then too close to call amongst Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool to call for third/fourth. It will ultimatley be heavily influenced by injuries though.

So do you reckon Spurs will come 21st?!! laugh.png

Selling club....any news on Song? clap2.gif

clap2.gif Nice try Santi.

clap2.gif Nice try Santi.

Hopeless effort wasn't it! Glad to see they are getting into the spirit of the new season though..fair play

i'm slightly puzzled why you would see strengthening arsenal's biggest rival of the last twenty years as a good thing santi.

as long as city play chequebook fantasy football i'm happy for them to dominate the league. because they're not united.

i'm also slightly puzzled by the arsenal habit of letting your best player's contract run down to one year forcing you to sell him. that's now vieira, henry, fabregas, nasri, van persie. . .

Edited by StevieH

There were reports yesterday that Arsene had said that Barca have not even talked to the club. Hes still on a four year contract. Wenger has never said hes not for sale, so never say never and I hope he stays. He's one of the best DFMs around, so no surprise if Barca are putting out the unsettling stuff just to prepare the ground for a bid. If he goes it has to be for 30m plus and Wenger has to reinvest.

There were reports yesterday that Arsene had said that Barca have not even talked to the club. Hes still on a four year contract. Wenger has never said hes not for sale, so never say never and I hope he stays. He's one of the best DFMs around, so no surprise if Barca are putting out the unsettling stuff just to prepare the ground for a bid. If he goes it has to be for 30m plus and Wenger has to reinvest.

30m? for song? he's pretty good but come on. . .

i'm slightly puzzled why you would see strengthening arsenal's biggest rival of the last twenty years as a good thing santi.

as long as city play chequebook fantasy football i'm happy for them to dominate the league. because they're not united.

i'm also slightly puzzled by the arsenal habit of letting your best player's contract run down to one year forcing you to sell him. that's now vieira, henry, fabregas, nasri, van persie. . .

Firstly he had to go if he wanted to go (contrast the Modric situation - it messed up last season for Spurs and is in danger of messing up this).

Secondly yes you would prefer to sell overseas. But there is a price. Juventus, Man C and Man U were the only bidders by all accounts. Juve seemed to be wanting him on the cheap - sub 18m. What's better for a manager under pressure, sell to a foreign team and have everyone ridiculing your negotiation skills or sell for a good price and give away potentially a few points. I'm happy with the decision to go for the money. The Reds on here were licking their lips at the prospect of picking him up on the cheap a few days ago - Wenger did a decent deal IMO.

Levy screwed up not selling to Chelsea!

30m? for song? he's pretty good but come on. . .

5m is "sod-you" premium for having been shafted by Barca over Fabregasclap2.gif 25 m to anyone else