Arsenal

MiG16

I was flying back to the UK while the match was on, so had only the MOTD highlights to go by. Boy is that a poor substitute - all you get is about 8 minutes (the same attention was given to a really boring and inconsequential Newcastle v Norwich game) and then 4 minutes dribble from Lawrenson. Only highlight was when Freddie Lundberg commented about the Invincibles about what a great squad it was, how it played together like a team and how whenever he got grief from a defender then Lauren (? who's Lauren, or did I mishear?) would come along and kick the $hit out of them”: Auntie Beeb's knickers visibly twisted!

Good point for us. Man City look a bit suspect, Chelsea are the least convincing league leaders I've seen in a long while and Man U continue to grind out results without looking top class. Impossible to say who is going to come out on top, or even who's going to finish in the top four, with Everton playing strongly and Spurs now having a squad capable of getting there too. Only Man U for me look capable of banking on a top 4 place, because of that everlasting SAF game-winning DNA.

I was delighted Mancini didn't start with Aguero and Tevez up front. The English press was salivating at that prospect and I was preparing some clean underwear. Brave decision by Arsene in dropping his 12 million quid summer signing Frenchman, but probably the right one if his counselling not to despair worked. I'm sure Wenger told him that loads of games will come for him to find his poaching touch, but I worry that such a demotion is almost inevitable to have resulted in further confidence sapping for him. If Wenger does not start him against Chelsea then I think we have a problem! We will not be a trophy contender this year without him performing to his potential, despite the ability of others to notch a handful of goals against the lesser sides. If Giroud is not going to click, then Wenger will need to break his mould and go for an expensive Xmas window signing [no way does he ever throw money at a problem, and no way do we ever win trophies].

So yes, a good point for us, but I don't think it proves we have cemented our claim even to be top four finishers, let alone have a chance at the title. A convincing 3 points against Chelsea next week would swing that balance.

Edited by SantiSuk

So yes, a good point for us, but I don't think it proves we have cemented our claim even to be top four finishers, let alone have a chance at the title. A convincing 3 points against Chelsea next week would swing that balance.

Yes, a whole 6 games completed out of 38 is obviously going to be a clear indicator as to who is going to win the league.

And Everton are surely guaranteed a Champions League place next season.

Walcott says that signing a new contract is partly dependent on him playing as a striker in future.

Managers manage and players play. Time to offload!

More to the point, most of the time he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a handful of rice. He's like Gervinho, he panics at pace.

Put simply if he's out of contract, he'll cost a signing on fee and 80 grand a month anywhere else, and this is what his agent will be pushing for.

Arsenal don't do blackmail.

So I think he'll be doing the off anyway, the scousers will probably come in for him, if they are dumb enough to pay 35 million for Carroll they'll sign anyone.

Walcott says that signing a new contract is partly dependent on him playing as a striker in future.

Walnut would possibly be a better striker than Gernivo. Problem is Walnut cant head a ball...has no tricky footwork,and no sense of positioning,his claim to fame is simply his speed.

Gervino cant head a ball and certainly cant shoot,his claim to fame is tricky footwork and a reasonable speed. and does track back.

If it was possible to meld their attributes into one guy ,we would have a winner....but then he would be transfered to Man City next summer.!!!

Walnut would possibly be a better striker than Gernivo. Problem is Walnut cant head a ball...has no tricky footwork,and no sense of positioning,his claim to fame is simply his speed.

Gervino cant head a ball and certainly cant shoot,his claim to fame is tricky footwork and a reasonable speed. and does track back.

If it was possible to meld their attributes into one guy ,we would have a winner....but then he would be transfered to Man City next summer.!!!

... and neither of them are proven poachers (I could see Gervinho developing that though) and neither of them can hold up a ball with their back to defence. In short, neither of them are natural strikers and if that's want they want to be they'd better get on their bikes (though I think Wenger was only experimenting with Gervinho up front, rather than him demanding to be there).

Wenger should agree to Theo's request, get him on another three years contract. Try him out up front and when he fails tell him 'sorry son' and sell him next Summer. However if he's gonna get in Giroud's way and Giroud looks like developing as we all hope he will, just offload Theo at Christmas at whatever he'll fetch. Wenger has to re-establish managerial authority with these difficult players and their agents.

We play Coventry in the What-the-<deleted>-is-it-called-this-year Cup tonight. Silly me thought that this was such an uninteresting fixture that maybe I could get to go and see an Arsenal team play at the Emirates. No such luck - a 60,000 sell-out (presumably before a ball was drawn). I guess I am reluctantly going to have to drop my sneering view of this competition, if it can draw such commercial rewards.

I have long acknowledged its usefulness in the early stages as a second team/juniors run-out, but this time the team is likely to have a reasonable content of god-are-you-still-here characters (Arshavin, Chamakh, Djouro). Would nonetrheless be worth watching for the possible inclusion of youth team goalie Damien Martinez and upcoming young winger Serge Gnabry (who looks like a thinner-faced Ox and plays a bit like him apparently). Ox, Theo, Giroud and Santos are likely to play also. Unfortunately, like most games in this competition the only way to see it, is to get to the game. Something wrong there with the FAs maximisation/exploitation of television rights.

Arsenal usually deal well with these early-stage games against lesser opposition and Arsene has always taken this lesser competition reasonably seriously. But I won't be weeping buckets if we somehow cock it up. It can be an unwelcome distraction in January/February if you are up to your neck in the other three competitions and all your Africans have swanned off to ACON. Mention of ACON reminds me that Songs departure was unwelcome but at least we have one less player to disrupt the team's rythm by <deleted> off down south at a critical time. I think we will only have Gervinho messing us up that way this January.

Hey ho COYG. If Giroud can use it to get some shooting practice that will be a real positive.

We play Coventry in the What-the-<deleted>-is-it-called-this-year Cup tonight. Silly me thought that this was such an uninteresting fixture that maybe I could get to go and see an Arsenal team play at the Emirates. No such luck - a 60,000 sell-out (presumably before a ball was drawn). I guess I am reluctantly going to have to drop my sneering view of this competition, if it can draw such commercial rewards.

I have long acknowledged its usefulness in the early stages as a second team/juniors run-out, but this time the team is likely to have a reasonable content of god-are-you-still-here characters (Arshavin, Chamakh, Djouro). Would nonetrheless be worth watching for the possible inclusion of youth team goalie Damien Martinez and upcoming young winger Serge Gnabry (who looks like a thinner-faced Ox and plays a bit like him apparently). Ox, Theo, Giroud and Santos are likely to play also. Unfortunately, like most games in this competition the only way to see it, is to get to the game. Something wrong there with the FAs maximisation/exploitation of television rights.

Arsenal usually deal well with these early-stage games against lesser opposition and Arsene has always taken this lesser competition reasonably seriously. But I won't be weeping buckets if we somehow cock it up. It can be an unwelcome distraction in January/February if you are up to your neck in the other three competitions and all your Africans have swanned off to ACON. Mention of ACON reminds me that Songs departure was unwelcome but at least we have one less player to disrupt the team's rythm by <deleted> off down south at a critical time. I think we will only have Gervinho messing us up that way this January.

Hey ho COYG. If Giroud can use it to get some shooting practice that will be a real positive.

Well according to Jacqui Beltrao on Sky (she is a Gooner), her, her husband and the two saucepans all went and it cost a grand total of 40 quid for all of them. It's a great opportunity for people to take their kids to football for a discounted price.

Of course when we played Tottenham in the same competition, they demanded (successfully) that we raise the prices to normal, I don't know why, our club thinks if you're only watching the reserves against a bunch of wannabes you should give the fans a break.

Drat. Good game and well played Chelsea. Very difficult to break down their defence, which was impervious to the crossed and dead ball. Unfortunately our defence was not so blessed - bit of a return to the soft underbelly of the dead ball. Pity Diaby had to go off so early - his directness was needed from midfield in the absence of an excellent performance form Santi C.

Dunno why Wenger brings Theo on - he seemed totally disconnected from the game again.

Unfortunately that gives Chelsea quite a head of stem to take an early grip on the EPL. We are going to have to start winning a string of matches if we are to stay connected to the top 4.

Edited by SantiSuk

Drat. Good game and well played Chelsea. Very difficult to break down their defence, which was impervious to the crossed and dead ball. Unfortunately our defence was not so blessed - bit of a return to the soft underbelly of the dead ball. Pity Diaby had to go off so early - his directness was needed from midfield in the absence of an excellent performance form Santi C.

Dunno why Wenger brings Theo on - he seemed totally disconnected from the game again.

Unfortunately that gives Chelsea quite a head of stem to take an early grip on the EPL. We are going to have to start winning a string of matches if we are to stay connected to the top 4.

Which we will.

I am somewhat bemused that, with Mertesacker, we have been in fine defensive form, yet Wenger drops him and we let in two soft set pieces. I hope Stevie Bould is having a quiet word in his ear. As much as Kos and Verm were our best partnership in many games, that was not the game to bring them back together, rusty as it was.

I understand the need for squad rotation, but as best you can you should stick with a winning side, Mertesacker has been in excellent form.

That was a Wenger rick if you ask me.

Which we will.

I am somewhat bemused that, with Mertesacker, we have been in fine defensive form, yet Wenger drops him and we let in two soft set pieces. I hope Stevie Bould is having a quiet word in his ear. As much as Kos and Verm were our best partnership in many games, that was not the game to bring them back together, rusty as it was.

I understand the need for squad rotation, but as best you can you should stick with a winning side, Mertesacker has been in excellent form.

That was a Wenger rick if you ask me.

Absolutely. Also I don't know what on earth they are playing at putting Ox into the defensive 'wall' for high cross dead balls - he's way too short for that and only adds to the confusion - better to be a man short IMO

Edited by SantiSuk

Popping in just to acknowledge we lost. Blah.

Sighhhh

Giroud shoulda scored that goal in the 90th minute......

Just wanted to confirm you did watch the game at the weekend and you accept you lost convincingly to the better team? rolleyes.gif

I know we lost. but just cos I accept defeat, does not extend to anything else ;)

better team?

in case you missed the title of the thread

Arsenal - the best team ;)

Popping in just to acknowledge we lost. Blah.

Sighhhh

Giroud shoulda scored that goal in the 90th minute......

Just wanted to confirm you did watch the game at the weekend and you accept you lost convincingly to the better team? rolleyes.gif

Don't be daft. 2-1 isn't convincing, especially given that both goals were defensive errors.

What I will concede is that Chelsea's defence is the stingiest in the league, that's what happens you have 8 men in it.

biggrin.png

Missed the game. Just woke up!

Missed the game also. I wanna get back toThailand quick. In northern England they are rarely shown in the pubs so I`d have to buy an expensive annual Sky package for only an odd few weeks footy.

Hope we can produce a convincing performance against the Hammers this weekend.

Great first 20 minutes. Then rather lost after hammers scored. Improved 10 mins before half time

Was hoping for our second goal then to keep the momentum.

Will admit we need to work on losing hope after giving away a goal

Happy with our second half. Walcott did a good job.

Carzola is the main man miggsy another fantastic buy from Mr Bean.

totally agree MrRed !

must really piss off some of these big spending wannabe clubs and managers. biggrin.png

He's kind of what I hoped Arshavin would have turned into if he hadn't had such a proclivity for lard and vodka.

I know he was the big star last night

But I didn't mention him cos I couldnt/ can't spell his name

I knew someone would come along and tell me soon enough how I neglected to mention the guy ;)