Arsenal

MiG16

Dam_n. Willshere out 'until November'.

The way that Wenger lies about the seriousness of injuries to key players I would not be surprised if we have another Vermaelen season long (last season) situation here. If Arsenal was a public company the board could be sued for misleading the market.

Brittle guys these Gunners? I don't think so particularly: Arsenal had the youngest team last year (this year the average age of 'my' first team goes up from 24 to 25.5). Also, Willshere was over-worked by Wenger last year when he was only 18/19 years old - strange that the manager protected Theo much more carefully when he was that age.

We have a lot of midfield cover (if the silly bu$$ers can just stop getting sent off) but Willshere is the most dynamic and dedicated of the lot, so it's another blow to top 4 hopes in my book.

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't know whether there are any stats to show whether players get injured more often once they have played 60 minutes (Abrak?) - I would guess that they do. If so I think that the EPL should look at the potential benefits of permitting 4 substitutions per match. With only 3 permitted, managers are too concerned about running out of subs to make rotational changes until 20 minutes from time.

Dam_n. Willshere out 'until November'.

The way that Wenger lies about the seriousness of injuries to key players I would not be surprised if we have another Vermaelen season long (last season) situation here. If Arsenal was a public company the board could be sued for misleading the market.

Brittle guys these Gunners? I don't think so particularly: Arsenal had the youngest team last year (this year the average age of 'my' first team goes up from 24 to 25.5). Also, Willshere was over-worked by Wenger last year when he was only 18/19 years old - strange that the manager protected Theo much more carefully when he was that age.

We have a lot of midfield cover (if the silly bu$$ers can just stop getting sent off) but Willshere is the most dynamic and dedicated of the lot, so it's another blow to top 4 hopes in my book.

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't know whether there are any stats to show whether players get injured more often once they have played 60 minutes (Abrak?) - I would guess that they do. If so I think that the EPL should look at the potential benefits of permitting 4 substitutions per match. With only 3 permitted, managers are too concerned about running out of subs to make rotational changes until 20 minutes from time.

I dont know those sort of statistics. However, one thing I would say is that if you look at injury statistics of teams in the EPL, Arsenal and Tottenham, consistently come out on top with the most. Last year both teams had 50% more 'injury weeks' than the average EPL team and over 10% more than the third ranked team.

I actually thought it was injuries that led to your end of season collapses but it seems that both teams manage to start the season with lots of injuries too.

I guess the obvious explanation is that both teams play more games but it is pretty amazing that say Chelsea (with an ancient squad) have less than half the injuries.

I dont really have an explanation. Maybe it is simply a statistical anomaly - I mean Spurs do continue to employ King knowing that he is a perma-crock. Liverpool recruited during the summer with a very close eye on injury records.

The problem if you look for a cause is that you can go round in circles with explanation. Training too much/training too little, not rotating the squad/rotating the squad too much, playing players with injuries/not playing players with niggling injuries.

Anyway my point is that it appears Arsenal have a problem with injuries far more than it does that the EPL has a problem with injuries.

Anyway my point is that it appears Arsenal have a problem with injuries far more than it does that the EPL has a problem with injuries.

So this was a good call. huh.gif

Yossi Benayoun didn't have Arsenal medical before signing from Chelsea

Arsenal have taken a gamble on the fitness of new signing Yossi Benayoun, after it emerged he was brought in from Chelsea without a complete medical.

Read more: http://www.metro.co....a#ixzz1X8mFm8Vj

Edited by uptheos

As if to reinforce the point you are all fairly making about Arsenal's apparent injury issue:

Vermaelen will be 'out for a month and is now set to miss matches against Swansea, Borussia Dortmund, Blackburn, Shrewsbury, Bolton, Olympiakos and Tottenham'. Luckily, none of the biggest teams there. Unluckily nobody, including me, believes Arsenal when they say someone will be out for a month.

Big opportunity for D'jouro to step up alongside Mertesacker and learn some more. Not Koscielny, please Arsene!

Good morning Gunners fans,

Borussia Dortmund - FC Arsenal 1:1

Arsenal conceded a late equaliser as they were pegged back to a 1-1 draw against Borussia Dortmund in their opening Champions League Group F clash at the Westfalenstadion.

The German champions dominated the possession in the first half but Robin van Persie rounded off a 42nd-minute move that he started to give Arsenal the lead against the run of play.

For so long it looked as though the Gunners would hold on to secure a vital away win, but substitute Ivan Perisic levelled on 88 minutes with a stunning volley to mark the Bundesliga club's return to the competition after a nine-year absence.

Good morning LotusBlue.

A good point in our rebuilding circumstances (as evidenced by Arsene punching the air high in the stands at the final whistle). Three points would have been grand larceny. :rolleyes:

Dortmund looked as though they would bury us; they controlled the midfield, closed us down Barca-style and restricted us to playing in our own half for much of the game. However, for all their apparent youthful flair, the German champions were hopelessly wasteful in front of goal - where have I heard that one before?!

Mertesacker had a good game and even Koscielny started to recover some confidence under his tutelage. Arteta had a pretty strong (very commited) showing but was not that well supported in midfield until the second half when Song suddenly remembered that he's actually a fine footballer and rediscovered how to come out of defence with the ball instead of just pushing it back into their next wave of attack. Benayoun was disappointing - very busy but kept losing the ball too much.

Sagna is a world class defender, Gibbs is not - kept getting caught way out of position - Pat Rice should have brought our new Brazilian defender, Santos, on much earlier than the 85th minute

Frimpong came on with 10 minutes left and looked immediately commanding and assured at the back of midfield. I reckon he is going to be hugely important for Arsenal's future. Can't wait to see Mertesacker/Vermaelen/Frimpong/Song/Wilshere playing together at the core of Arsenal's team. [Will probably have to wait until Christmas, given Arsenal's injury recovery record].

I had BD down as our biggest threat and can see that when they recover their performance in front of goal they will hoover up points and will be tough to beat at The Emirates. Second spot in the group is a realistic (good) outcome for the Gunners.

Edited by SantiSuk

Arsenal conceded a late equaliser as they were pegged back to a 1-1 draw against Borussia Dortmund in their opening Champions League Group F clash at the Westfalenstadion.

The German champions dominated the possession in the first half but Robin van Persie rounded off a 42nd-minute move that he started to give Arsenal the lead against the run of play.

For so long it looked as though the Gunners would hold on to secure a vital away win, but substitute Ivan Perisic levelled on 88 minutes with a stunning volley to mark the Bundesliga club's return to the competition after a nine-year absence.

god i wish i was German !

wake up on time, take a dump on time, breakfast, lunch and dinner on time, shag on time......................... wait a minute isn't that a Chelski fan ?

Edited by tigerfish

god i wish i was German !

wake up on time, take a dump on time, breakfast, lunch and dinner on time, shag on time......................... wait a minute isn't that a Chelski fan ?

They got beer on tap an all at Frankfurt Airport Luftwaffe biz lounge. Bloody good beer it is! smile.gif

The Chelski fans have a cappuccino stall for them outside...5 euro a pop.

Shows how far we have fallen from grace that I find myself worrying about whether Blackburn will choose today to bounce back from a dire season start. It seems a long time ago that we were starting last season with results like 6-0 in our favour.

Should of course be no danger - even if Blackburn raise their game. Only Wishere and Vermaelen injured of those who would otherwise be in the starting team and only Diaby injured of those who would start on the bench.

Would like to see more of Frimpong and newby Wade-Chamberlain, but expect Wenger will play safe with Song and Walcott to start with. Would also like to see Arsenal continue to avoid yellow and red cards; against Dortmund mid week it was noticeable that everyone was staying on their feet and not charging in.

The defense is just aweful. How can Wenger have left them so reliant again on the fitness of Vermaellen, or however you spell his name. That must have been alarming for gooners and i can't remember a funnier ninety minutes of football. I found myself thinking back to that tit Dario Macotti saying on CNN only four weeks ago that Arsenal were still along way ahead of Liverpool and Tottenham in terms of ability. He's even paid for his expert analysis. :whistling:

Wenger really must change his ways. Another worrying thing for you is that you are normally very good starters!

Won't be celebrating St Tottingham day this season will you you mugs.......:)

.......and that full back or whatever position he plays Djouor? now then he is really shocking!.....

Hold on a minute, isn't that clown Koncielsky of whatever his name is, even worse?

I know one thing, they have the worse collection of <deleted> haircuts in the league.

Edited by carmine

.......and that full back or whatever position he plays Djouor? now then he is really shocking!.....

djourou, he's a centreback really. well, supposedly.

there's absolutely no leadership in that team. they've gone from over the years having the likes of adams, seaman and keown at the back, through the likes of vieira and petit with other leaders like henry and bergkamp around, to just nothing now really. and wenger just doesn't seem to have a clue how to arrest the slide.

You must be gutted tigerfish at losing this massive relegation six pointer.

My sympathies mate.. wink.gif

Edit: In case you missed it....here.

have your fun mate while it lasts. how long did you say, a week ? and Liverpool today ! should make interesting viewing at the foot of the table, dont you think ? laugh.gif

have your fun mate while it lasts. how long did you say, a week ? and Liverpool today ! should make interesting viewing at the foot of the table, dont you think ? laugh.gif

In the words of the great MSingh..."Bwahahahahahaha"

o.k. i will give you that, but Andy Robinsons still a @#$% biggrin.gif

o.k. i will give you that, but Andy Robinsons still a @#$% biggrin.gif

Its a walk in the park at times for us.....now we got strikers who score goals.....biggrin.gif

In Arsene we Trust! [until the end of the month at best :rolleyes:].

If this were a normal business they would have been taken over by now. Still could happen.

Are there any other teams out there who could do with a confidence boosting first win. Ah yes Bolton. Who're we playing next week -- erm -- Bolton :annoyed:.

Edited by SantiSuk

The dreaded vote of confidence....

http://news.bbc.co.u...ll/14977442.stm

laugh.gif

Stupid to paint himself into a corner like that. He could have said all the encouraging stuff without the unilateral undertaking that will make him look stupid if things don't pick up and fans start deserting the terraces. I wonder if Kroenke with all his US sports franchise experience really understands how quickly value can evaporate in soccer.

Having said that the press is rapidly moving from justifiable criticism of Arsenal to completely OTT schadenfreude. For instance some journos were saying how Arsenal struggled to overcome Shrewsbury, completely ignoring the fact it was an Arsenal bench team/reserve team (Gibbs and Benayoun being the only exceptions that could normally expect to have a shot at starting for Arsenal) and it eventually comfortably overcame Shrewsbury in a competition that I think Wenger has now (correctly) decided is unimportant.

Still journos always did have a problem with balance when there's a story to be (mis) told. I guess the Liverpool thread guys know all about how the press go for the jugular when there's a smell of blood in the air - talking about their bad patch last season.