You're not legally married in Thailand if

ezzra

According to a Thai laws, you're not legally married in Thailand if you married overseas,

and you're deemed to be only 2 people living together, i found out the other day while

trying to find out the responsibility of a wife to a her husband's debts... 

apparently, you need to re marry in Thailand to be considered legally married in this

country...

• Thanks 1

Don't know so much about Thailand.

In Laos a friend of mine married his Lao wife in France and it was not accepted when they came to live in Laos. They are constantly hassled by the police as they are seen to be a Lao woman and foreigner sleeping together.

24 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The statement in the OP is absolutely stunning and needs verification!

We married in Denmark in 1999 while living in Germany, marriage was registered with lot of paperwork in Thailand.

(also registered in Germany and Switzerland)

Wife has my name, marriage is registered at the district office.

31 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

We married in Denmark in 1999 while living in Germany, marriage was registered with lot of paperwork in Thailand.

And I never appeared at the district office for any marriage procedure whatsoever.

If "re-marry" stands for the registration process then: of course and no news at all!

And I never appeared at the district office for any marriage procedure whatsoever.

If "re-marry" stands for the registration process then: of course and no news at all!

I agree with you and that's what we have done legally registering at the local Amphoe office.

The form used from memory is a Kor Ror 22 and that is what is needed for obtaining a visa 

extension based on marriage if you were married overseas.

• Like 1

This is the same in every country AFAIK. You marry in country A, if you want to be officially legally married in country B, you need to officially legally register. If you marry in Thailand (legally, not the Buddhist ceremony) and you want that marriage to be legal in your home country, it's all the same. So no need to remarry, but get official paperwork to the Amphur office.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, martijn12345 said:

This is the same in every country AFAIK. You marry in country A, if you want to be officially legally married in country B, you need to officially legally register. If you marry in Thailand (legally, not the Buddhist ceremony) and you want that marriage to be legal in your home country, it's all the same. So no need to remarry, but get official paperwork to the Amphur office.

If you marry in Thailand there is no need to register it in the UK, the marriage is perfectly legal, however, as the certificate is in Thai, then you would need to have the properly translated for use in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad

As far as I understand, Thailand recognizes a foreign marriage between a Thai & a foreigner, or even two Thai's, the need to actually register it comes only if you want it to be legal in Thailand.

As per @rockin robin this is covered under the Civil & Commercial Code Section 1459:

"A marriage in foreign country between Thai people or between a Thai people and a foreigner may be effected according to the form prescribed by Thai law or by the law of the country where it takes place.

If the spouses desire to have the marriage registered according to Thai law, the registration shall be effected by a Thai Diplomatic or Consular Officer."

If already in Thailand, then as per other posters, it can be registered at the Amphur office covering where the spouse is registered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

We were married in China, at the Thai embassy. We have different marriage certificate to the one issued by the amphur (flowery border), The marriage cannot be registered in Thailand at the Amphur as we are already legally married.

Despite a number of agents that assist with the extension paperwork for immigration insisting that we need the flowery border amphur paperwork, this is not the case and immigration have accepted our documents for the past 18 years.

• Like 2

If you register the marriage at the local Amphur you will be given  documentation and you are legally married in Thailand. As for the USA- all American states recognize a marriage registered in Thailand. The documentation needs translation for Visas or other Government activity where a marriage certificate would be needed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mattd said:

If you marry in Thailand there is no need to register it in the UK, the marriage is perfectly legal, however, as the certificate is in Thai, then you would need to have the properly translated for use in the UK.

As far as I understand, Thailand recognizes a foreign marriage between a Thai & a foreigner, or even two Thai's, the need to actually register it comes only if you want it to be legal in Thailand.

As per @rockin robin this is covered under the Civil & Commercial Code Section 1459:

"A marriage in foreign country between Thai people or between a Thai people and a foreigner may be effected according to the form prescribed by Thai law or by the law of the country where it takes place.

If the spouses desire to have the marriage registered according to Thai law, the registration shall be effected by a Thai Diplomatic or Consular Officer."

If already in Thailand, then as per other posters, it can be registered at the Amphur office covering where the spouse is registered.

However what this does not cover , is married couples of non thai nationality living in thailand but married elsewhere.

According to a Thai laws, you're not legally married in Thailand if you married overseas,
and you're deemed to be only 2 people living together, i found out the other day while
trying to find out the responsibility of a wife to a her husband's debts... 
apparently, you need to re marry in Thailand to be considered legally married in this
country...

Not correct.

Sent from my iris 755 using Tapatalk

What's illegal about a foreigner sleeping with a Lao lady?

Lao law requires a foreigner and a Lao lady to be married to each other before they sleep together in Laos. Whether it's enforced is usually down to the headman of the village. I married my Lao wife in the UK, but when we go to our house in Laos, with our 3-year-old, we're still breaking the law as the marriage is not recognised in Laos. Fortunately her family get on well with the headman.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, dotpoom said:

All the hotel receptionists told me that it was against the  law and the Police sometimes came around at night to check the registers.  This was in 1999 & 2,000.  We had to be tactful & sneaky to beat the system.  Maybe it was a scam by hotel receptionists to get more money.

7 hours ago, Mattd said:

Sorry this is late. Not wishing to contradict, Mattd. Last year I was asked by the DWP to confirm my marriage position. When I pointed out the cirtificate was in Thai, I was told they wanted the original, not a translated copy. I sent just the original. It was returned with a note of thanks, so I assume they had it translated.

4 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

All the hotel receptionists told me that it was against the  law and the Police sometimes came around at night to check the registers.  This was in 1999 & 2,000.  We had to be tactful & sneaky to beat the system.  Maybe it was a scam by hotel receptionists to get more money.

I had the same issue in Vietnam. Ok to stay in a hotel with another women but not Vietnamese. The police

came checking the one time and the girl i was with worked for the hotel. Front desk called up to let her know, a girl showed up at our room with a uniform and my girl changed real quick and went to another room to act like she was cleaning.  crazy law.

17 hours ago, Surasak said:

Sorry this is late. Not wishing to contradict, Mattd. Last year I was asked by the DWP to confirm my marriage position. When I pointed out the cirtificate was in Thai, I was told they wanted the original, not a translated copy. I sent just the original. It was returned with a note of thanks, so I assume they had it translated.

Glad to hear this, however, if it was me, then I'd definitely have the marriage certificate legally translated as a back up, worse case then you can present the original and the translated copy to whoever.

On 3/1/2018 at 1:23 PM, dotpoom said:

The law, my friend

Unmarried stay (after 18.00 hr) or even unauthorized stay in you GF parents house (by the mayor) before marriage, (even if you are  engaged to be married to the Lao spouse)can be very painful and costly indeed.

Sleeping with a foreigner out of wedlock can be fined 5000$ plus..........(source Vientiane police) a child out of wedlock may find you in jail.

Non Lao established marriages need proper registration through the legalization chain, just like every other country....(Embassy-Embassy to foreign affairs IN Laos.

Laos is a communist country and have rules of engagement which could be local and nothing to do with written laws, especially in rural areas.

Note that dual nationality is strictly forbidden, house registration with foreign children (non Lao) almost a crime!

Lucky are those who are not checked yet , but its ongoing!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hgma said:

The law, my friend

Unmarried stay (after 18.00 hr) or even unauthorized stay in you GF parents house (by the mayor) before marriage, (even if you are  engaged to be married to the Lao spouse)can be very painful and costly indeed.

Sleeping with a foreigner out of wedlock can be fined 5000$ plus..........(source Vientiane police) a child out of wedlock may find you in jail.

Non Lao established marriages need proper registration through the legalization chain, just like every other country....(Embassy-Embassy to foreign affairs IN Laos.

Laos is a communist country and have rules of engagement which could be local and nothing to do with written laws, especially in rural areas.

Note that dual nationality is strictly forbidden, house registration with foreign children (non Lao) almost a crime!

yeah! well aren't we lucky this is all about LOS not LaOS

The law, my friend
Fingers crossed it will slowly relax. Been married to my Lao wife for 2 years and we have a 3 year old son. The marriage was in the UK so not recognised in Laos. We have a house there and I stay there 2/3 times a year which may increase in the future. I dread an official knock on the door!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app