Bored in Thailand

garyk

18 minutes ago, Justfine said:
1 hour ago, giddyup said:

They will be remembered for their talents, will you?

Who cares. Dead people can't do anything.

A lot of people are concerned about their legacy. I don't see the point. It's extra stress while you're still living.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Hard to define boredom From some of the ideas to avoid it such as Walking around Markets,riding about on a Bike, entering sweaty Gymnasiums, death seems a better option.emoji481.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It does to some on here. They worship dead people then attack me for not agreeing with them. Strange.

2 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Hard to define boredom From some of the ideas to avoid it such as Walking around Markets,riding about on a Bike, entering sweaty Gymnasiums, death seems a better option.emoji481.png

Well I can tell you that me being an ol' guy that retirement is very difficult to handle, especially when ones previous private life was full of action of some sort...Seems we must all deal with it in different ways and hope for the best...So far I personally am OK, just tried different  avenues to see where it lead taking into account my now financial boundaries..

I am just glad I can daily......having no neighbours....:stoner:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Justfine said:

More than 20 a week is considered alcoholic anyway.

i used to drink 20+ beers per day for several years in a row when i had nice woman to look at,

i.e having a party, but in the shithole i now reside in there are no gogo and therefore i havnt had a beer in 3 years

Just now, poanoi said:

i used to drink 20+ beers per day for several years in a row when i had nice woman to look at,

i.e having a party, but in the shithole i now reside in there are no gogo and therefore i havnt had a beer in 3 years

Interesting. You more healthy?

2 hours ago, transam said:

Well I can tell you that me being an ol' guy that retirement is very difficult to handle, especially when ones previous private life was full of action of some sort...Seems we must all deal with it in different ways and hope for the best...So far I personally am OK, just tried different  avenues to see where it lead taking into account my now financial boundaries..

I am just glad I can daily......having no neighbours....:stoner:

Good reply TA, 50 % of my Chums here are bored from finance reasons.Can be a prob socially if your not n can please yourself. Their stuck, to old to do anything about it. So just keep quiet when you meet up for a Beer.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:08 AM, norrska said:

Boredom is a personal problem, not an international problem. 

Gold star answer.

Boredom is entirely up to the individual, assuming they are not in jail and have enough money to do more than hide in a room watching tv. Even just walking is free in that situation.

One can spend as much time on tv or internet as one wants, if one doesn't want to actually "do" anything, but one can be spending time researching a trip, or finding out attractions in the local area.

In the village I kept busy by rewiring the house. I left after that, but had I stayed I'd have got into gardening and cooking.

Photography is an activity that can be done anywhere and isn't expensive. Can spend many happy hours photoshopping them too.

Activity wise, short of skiing and proper dancing, almost anything.

Clubs like expats clubs, or just a barbeer and play connect 4 with the girls for price of a drink.

Could go on and on, but I'll spare you.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Interesting. You more healthy?

no, i have never been so unhealthy, the shithole dont have tasty food,

every dish suffer protein deficit, in protest & desperation & depression i've been trying

to feed on chocolate, ice cream, and cookies, i look forward to return to pattaya and get on a healthy tasty protein rich diet

Edited by poanoi

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Gold star answer.

Boredom is entirely up to the individual, assuming they are not in jail and have enough money to do more than hide in a room watching tv. Even just walking is free in that situation.

One can spend as much time on tv or internet as one wants, if one doesn't want to actually "do" anything, but one can be spending time researching a trip, or finding out attractions in the local area.

In the village I kept busy by rewiring the house. I left after that, but had I stayed I'd have got into gardening and cooking.

Photography is an activity that can be done anywhere and isn't expensive. Can spend many happy hours photoshopping them too.

Clubs like expats clubs, or just a barbeer and play connect 4 with the girls for price of a drink.

Fixing things is rewarding. Good for mind and body.

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Gold star answer.

Thanks for spearing us.!.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

If that's all one can do, one can take up photography and that opens up a whole new side to a world people don't normally look at properly.

Even cooking can lead to hours of interesting activity.

Either people can make the effort, or they can sit and cry about their life. They won't change their life though. All they can do is change themselves.

5 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Good reply TA, 50 % of my Chums here are bored from finance reasons.Can be a prob socially if your not n can please yourself. Their stuck, to old to do anything about it. So just keep quiet when you meet up for a Beer.

You are right probably the biggest reason-Lack of funds.

You need money here in my opinion to enjoy the place.

Get a motorbike

Play golf

Meet ladies

Massages

Eat decent meals

Go out for some drinks and fun.

etc.

It is not this place being boring.  People can be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, tropo said:

A lot of people are concerned about their legacy. I don't see the point. It's extra stress while you're still living.  

There was once an amateur photography aficionado on a different forum that went on about how he'd spend hours waiting for the sun to be just right, and that sort of thing. I was too soft to point out to him that after he was dead no one would care about his photos, and his heirs would probably throw them away.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You are right probably the biggest reason-Lack of funds.

You need money here in my opinion to enjoy the place.

Get a motorbike

Play golf

Meet ladies

Massages

Eat decent meals

Go out for some drinks and fun.

etc.

It is not this place being boring.  People can be.

You need to enjoy outdoor activities - hiking, biking etc.

Some retirees have no hobbies and get bored anywhere. Meet a few.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There was once an amateur photography aficionado on a different forum that went on about how he'd spend hours waiting for the sun to be just right, and that sort of thing. I was too soft to point out to him that after he was dead no one would care about his photos, and his heirs would probably throw them away.

I doubt he would have found the comment helpful or encouraging, and I doubt it would have added to the enjoyment of his hobby.

3 hours ago, Justfine said:

No they were losers.

Givers.  They gave to the world. I sense you know about losers though. People loved them.  And you?  What do people like you give to the world with your unkind comments about dead, talented people?  We mourn the loss of such people.  You seem to get some mean minded satisfaction. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Actually, it's entirely possible to be a very happy chappy in LOS with very little money.

Some of us prefer walking to a m'bike, don't play golf, not interested in paying to meet ladies ( that is talking about non bargirls ) that expect to be wined and dined, don't like Thai massage, eat perfectly well under 200 a meal, going out for drinks doesn't have to be expensive, though "fun" usually is.

Whatever floats our boat, I say.

I agree that being bored is up to us.

Sounds like you obviously know about being happy with very little money.

Good for you, enjoy.

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why would anyone want to say such a cruel thing to a friend? We in our family treasure old family pics. But anyway. Perhaps he was enjoying himself, expressing his art and creativity and living in the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I imagine he did it for his own pleasure, not so his heirs would treasure it. Lot of people paint, not everyone is a Rembrandt.

• Like 1