Official roll-out of Phuket Smart Bus delayed

webfact

Official roll-out of Phuket Smart Bus delayed

Shela Riva

1520310769_1-org.jpg

The launch has been delayed to ensure each of the buses' GPS system is fully functional. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET: It has been confirmed today that the official launch of Phuket City Development Co Ltd’s (PKCD) Smart Bus project has been delayed until the end of March due to the need for conducting further checks for all ten of the buses.

PKCD Executive Director Watchara Jaru-ariyanon explained to The Phuket News today (Mar 6), “It is better if we conduct further checks on the buses’ GPS systems and smart card payment system on all ten buses before we offer the service.

“At first we thought we would begin the service after the launch [on Feb 28] but the team has decided it would be better to test the systems for a month to make sure that the card charges the right amount of money, and ensure that the GPS and mobile application, which is upcoming, are accurate.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/official-roll-out-of-phuket-smart-bus-delayed-66219.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-03-06

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

The official launch was not a success, but that doesn't warrant your post, implying the smart bus is a failure.

I only implied that the super hyped launch was a spectacular failure. I really hope this service is a much needed success service.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Oh Ho .... just what many of us here on TV thought.

A very big FAT FAIL after all the fanfare  and hype ...

It's hard to understand why a long term expat is always so negative about any attempts to start any sort of public transport system on the Island.

You criticized the proposed train line because it wouldn't be going to the hilly coastal towns on the west side.

And now that some serious effort is being made to introduce a bus service along the western beaches you are calling it a big fat fail and chortling about some teething problems with the GPS systems! 

Do you like the status quo?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

It's hard to understand why a long term expat is always so negative about any attempts to start any sort of public transport system on the Island.

You criticized the proposed train line because it wouldn't be going to the hilly coastal towns on the west side.

And now that some serious effort is being made to introduce a bus service along the western beaches you are calling it a big fat fail and chortling about some teething problems with the GPS systems! 

Do you like the status quo?

Did you even read my previous post #6

15 hours ago, madmitch said:

What's wrong with a trial with passengers? Offer free rides; a great way to promote the service.

I did answer before but want to add that yes, good idea, however it's very possible a few would accept the free ride and if something goes wrong then the problem probably minor, will be blown out of all proportion.

So in way it might be better to ensure all is ok before starting.

It's not as though people are already at the bus stops waiting.

35 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I did, but didn't accept the explanation.

My view is that you were talking about the whole concept in your first post.

My comment was about the very poor roll-out and super hype.

If you have followed my posts on this smart bus topics you would see I have been very supportive.

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I did, but didn't accept the explanation.

My view is that you were talking about the whole concept in your first post.

I agree the post did give that impression, but apparently that was not what was meant.

So many members with such high hopes for what would be considered a basic essential service in any REAL "World Class Tourist Destination." 

Even if this service was allowed to run, unimpeded, and possibly expanded in the future, it's all too little, too late. 

A BIG slice of the western tourism market has already waved "bye bye" to Phuket, and its transport mafia. 

So, on that basis, who really thinks this is going to do anything to allure that lost market segment back to the island????

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On March 6th the operators of the long-awaited Smart Bus between the Airport and Rawai announced:

“At first we thought we would begin the service after the launch [on Feb 28] but the team has decided it would be better to test the systems for a month to make sure that the card charges the right amount of money, and ensure that the GPS and mobile application, which is upcoming, are accurate.

“There have been initial issues with the system in Bangkok, so we want to make sure we have no problems here. We want to be sure,” he said.

“Everything is ready, so the trial period will be finished no later than this month, possibly within March.

Tomorrow is the last day of March and there has been no report of when, or whether, the service will start. Our passive news media has reported no follow-up; perhaps they have been persuaded not to.  The ten new buses are sitting at their base near Central Festival.

A cynical person would suspect that the delay is due to obstruction by those with interests in operating or controlling the huge fleets of taxis and hire cars that have done so much to damage tourism on the west coast. Those interests are very well represented in the local governments as they form an important voting constituency. 

There are no physical signs of local support for the new smart bus service. There are no dedicated bus stops or service information along the route. A few bus stops were recently erected northbound along Karon beach road (in exposed locations, distant from the sala/shelters which are all occupied by taxi and tuk-tuk drivers). The new bus stops carry only the operating hours of the long-established songtael service to Phuket Town - a service which is tolerated by the ‘interests’. In the southbound direction, all parking space is monopolised by taxis and tuk-tuks, so the smart bus will need to stop in the carriageway.

There's no sign, no information or waiting space allocated for the Smart Bus at the international airport terminal.

The route map on the Smart Bus website shows only one bus stop each in Kamala, Patong, Karon and Kata. The stopping places are 6-8kms apart compared with normal bus stop spacing of one kilometre or less. Passengers will have to walk long distances to and from the (unmarked) bus stops which will be a major deterrent to usage.

Overall, the lack of service information, lack of publicity, the widely spaced, unmarked stops which are not cleared of parking and have no waiting shelters, seems to suggest this route, like its predecessor, is designed by people who have no concept of how a bus service should operate. How can it credibky be called ‘Smart’.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/official-roll-out-of-phuket-smart-bus-delayed-66219.php#H57UiGHuztTSR5pb.99

Karon Bus Stop.jpg

Are we sure that the sign above is for the "smart bus" .  Signage above would appear to be for the current clapped out vehicles that ply the Phuket Town, Chalong route.  Let's hope the smart bus route is now not the same route and times as the current system.

4 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Are we sure that the sign above is for the "smart bus" .  Signage above would appear to be for the current clapped out vehicles that ply the Phuket Town, Chalong route.  Let's hope the smart bus route is now not the same route and times as the current system.

"A few bus stops were recently erected northbound along Karon beach road (in exposed locations, distant from the sala/shelters which are all occupied by taxi and tuk-tuk drivers). The new bus stops carry only the operating hours of the long-established songtael service to Phuket Town - a service which is tolerated by the ‘interests’. "

2 hours ago, chub said:

Overall, the lack of service information, lack of publicity, the widely spaced, unmarked stops which are not cleared of parking and have no waiting shelters, seems to suggest this route, like its predecessor, is designed by people who have no concept of how a bus service should operate. How can it credibly be called ‘Smart’.

All that would be considered "Smart" if the purpose was never for it to succeed in the first place.

19 hours ago, chub said:

A cynical person would suspect that the delay is due to obstruction by those with interests in operating or controlling the huge fleets of taxis and hire cars that have done so much to damage tourism on the west coast. Those interests are very well represented in the local governments as they form an important voting constituency. 

The Phuket government have to step up and start supporting the new busses. If they don't, this effort will fade away, along with other services, which might pop up if the smart bus system would work well. 

17 minutes ago, oilinki said:

The Phuket government have to step up and start supporting the new busses. If they don't, this effort will fade away, along with other services, which might pop up if the smart bus system would work well. 

The Gov would love to help, but he has a flower show and charity bike ride to attend on the day.

Two weeks ago eight of the buses were sitting in the Homeworks car park. Not exactly the testing that I would have expected.

I'd have thought April 1st would be a perfect day to make an announcement  as to the start of the service!

They are rolling. Saw 2 of them today picking up guests in Patong. One station is in the heart of the mafia. At the beach next to the police station at the end of Bangla.

Bus driver smiled like child at Christmas day while picking up guests there lol.

Keep going!!!