Buriram: So unnecessary as Year 10 student dies on his way to school

webfact

9 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Read the story again....... YEAR 10 Student, not 10 year old................. a well built lad if he was 10 yo.

But it is common up country for ten year olds being given the keys to the family motorbike, and as a previous poster said, it will be happening somewhere in Thailand right now.

Just now, Teacherduck said:

Read my response again mate, I personally ask them in my class, I try to educate them about road safety because no-one in this country cares.

That is only in your class, it is not the whole of Thailand. My 15 year old step daughter does have a motorbike licence because I personally took her for it along with a couple of other 15 year old's that live here that are friends with my daughter so your assumption is wrong

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Such markings are unusual in Thailand - and I doubt they are understood.

However, the Thai Highway Code is crystal clear about joining traffic and giving priority to vehicles from the right.

Thai Highway Code?????????????????????????????????????????????

8 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Have we watched the same video !!

The blue helmet motorcyclist is joining a main highway and should give way to the flow of traffic to his right .

Section 51 refers.

Give way in Thailand?????????????????????????????????????

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

But it is common up country for ten year olds being given the keys to the family motorbike, and as a previous poster said, it will be happening somewhere in Thailand right now.

Yes, but in this case the poster misread it. !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

That is only in your class, it is not the whole of Thailand. My 15 year old step daughter does have a motorbike licence because I personally took her for it along with a couple of other 15 year old's that live here that are friends with my daughter so your assumption is wrong

Well I think you are the one who is wrong unless of course the kids do have licences but many of them dont bother later on as adults

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

Indicating no need for stop? I know that we are at the cellar floor regarding logical thinking and behaviour, but do you really need something indicating common sense?

Thai drivers and riders, common sense! ????????????????????????????????????

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Overtaking on the left is not illegal on that road.

Perhaps it should be .....

it is illegal!!! The SongThaew drove in the left line. So him have to overtaking in the right line, if they were driving by the rules.

You can read the complete rules here: http://asean-law.senate.go.th/file/law/pdf/file-2938-25.pdf

Here is another video from the opposite site: 

1 minute ago, oldlakey said:

Well I think you are the one who is wrong unless of course the kids do have licences but many of them dont bother later on as adults

I don't think I am wrong because I was responding the another post that claimed that no child had a motorbike licence but it turned out he was using only his own class as the guide and I personally know of a local high school here where 75% of the students that ride motorbikes have got licences so your assumption is wrong also.

9 minutes ago, snowgard said:

it is illegal!!! The SongThaew drove in the left line. So him have to overtaking in the right line, if they were driving by the rules.

You can read the complete rules here: http://asean-law.senate.go.th/file/law/pdf/file-2938-25.pdf

Here is another video from the opposite site: 

Try reading what you have posted .... thanks for confirming that I am RIGHT !  

Take a look at Page 18, section 45...............  once you have read it, and understood, I will be prepared to accept your apology.

Section 45.
No driver shall overtake other conveyance by the left
side of the overtaken conveyance
, except
in the following cases:
(1)
the conveyance whi
ch is going to be overtaken is turning right, or
gives right turning signal;
(2)
such road is divided into two or more lanes of the same direction.
The overtaking
by the left side of the overtaken conveyance under (1)
or (2) may be done only when
there is no other conveyance following behind.

Edited by Jip99

31 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The student had only just passed the truck and he was knocked off his bike into the path of the truck if you bother to open your eyes and have a good look at the video.

Even more reason to know that it was there. 

In your other post you critisised me for suggesting that the student was going too fast. Now you say that the student had just past the truck. If a student on a bike is able to overtake a truck as easily as that then there is something wrong with his speed.

When you look at this video it is easy to see the fault of the side road rider. At first glance it is not so easy to see the fault of the other 2 parties involved. I can probably see it clearer as I know the spot well.

Incidentally......local reports are saying that the truck driver is facing stiffer penalties than the side road motorcyclist.

4 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I don't think I am wrong because I was responding the another post that claimed that no child had a motorbike licence but it turned out he was using only his own class as the guide and I personally know of a local high school here where 75% of the students that ride motorbikes have got licences so your assumption is wrong also.

The poster you replied to did say no licence no helmet referring to this accident

That was an assumption in that students case but nowhere did he say all students

were in the same boat as you will see if you care to check back

The lack of a license held by many is a fact 

6 minutes ago, Jip99 said:
Section 45.
No driver shall overtake other conveyance by the left
side of the overtaken conveyance
, except
in the following cases:
(1)
the conveyance whi
ch is going to be overtaken is turning right, or
gives right turning signal;
(2)
such road is divided into two or more lanes of the same direction.
The overtaking
by the left side of the overtaken conveyance under (1)
or (2) may be done only when
there is no other conveyance following behind.

1.)  The SongThaew not turn right or give the signal!!!
2.) The SongThaew drive in the left line, so him can't overtaking on the left line!!!
 Him must do it in the right line!!!

Unbelievable how some people construct their own rules. Especially motorcyclists!!!

8 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

The poster you replied to did say no licence no helmet referring to this accident

That was an assumption in that students case but nowhere did he say all students

The point in question should not be whether they have a licence or not. The question should be, what did they have to do to get the licence?

After my daughter got her licence we went out together, one bike each. Sometimes she followed me and sometimes I followed her. I showed her about awareness of what others might do and how to react.

She has learned more from me than any body is likely to learn during their driving "test". I'm not having a go. Just saying.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 2

My condolences to the dead boy's family. I cannot count the number of times I (in my car) have had to swerve slightly to avoid hitting m/bikes coming out of a soi and not looking at approaching traffic. Other than that other posters have said most of what I feel too. But I did notice that at around 0:15 in the video, a car overtaking a pickup using the yellow painted central separation/divider area. Again this shows a lack of appreciation for road rules/etiquette. 

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Samui is a fatality death spot that nobody is willing to acknowledge!

I think everybody knows it, whether it's reported or not.  At least expats, maybe some tourists remain unaware.  Phuket probably isn't far behind.  Tao is only not as bad because the roads there don't allow you to go very fast so most accidents are not life-threatening.

Most civilized countries have stop signs where minor roads intersect with major roads forcing the drivers to stop and look before proceeding.  I can't think of many places where I did see a stop sign at such intersections here in Thailand.  And when there was a stop sign, I don't recall seeing anybody actually stop.  Once again, nobody wants to obey sensible driving rules here in Thailand and the deaths associated with poor driving attests to that.

10 hours ago, Ugothai said:

They must charge the family that give motobike th a 10 yo !!!!!

He is not 10 he is older He is in year 10 makes him about 15 But yes last time i looked 15 year olds dont have or cant get a license  No helmet yep good chance you go to heaven You are right fine the bloody family for giving him that bike Just makes me so angry seeing this Wasted life 

5 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

He is not 10 he is older He is in year 10 makes him about 15 But yes last time i looked 15 year olds dont have or cant get a license  No helmet yep good chance you go to heaven You are right fine the bloody family for giving him that bike Just makes me so angry seeing this Wasted life 

15 is the minimum age for getting a licence. As mentioned by another poster, some have one but many don't.

28 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

The fact oldlakey is that there has been no report that the student did not have a licence and teacherduck based his assumption on his own students in his own class and I was pointing out to teacherduck that how does he know if the student does not have a licence the same as I will now say to you do not assume that the student does not have a licence because you may be proven wrong but you may also be proven right, there has been no report on his licence status. Maybe the other bike rider doesn't have a licence either. Nothing has been reported either way. But what teacherduck claimed was only assumed because the students in his class do not have licences and that does not mean that all students do not have licences as I know for fact of many 15 year olds that do have licences because I helped them to get them.

12 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

15 for motorbike and 18 for car licence. There are several things that have not been reported. Did the student have a licence? Was his bike registered and insured? Did the other rider have a licence? Was his bike registered and insured?

There are many Thai's and farangs that do not have a motorbike licence and there are many Thai's and farangs who ride unregistered and uninsured motorbikes every day. There are many TV critics making wild assumptions about who was at fault and about the student being unlicenced when there has been nothing reported about the status of either rider in regards to licence and registration.

18 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The fact oldlakey is that there has been no report that the student did not have a licence and teacherduck based his assumption on his own students in his own class and I was pointing out to teacherduck that how does he know if the student does not have a licence the same as I will now say to you do not assume that the student does not have a licence because you may be proven wrong but you may also be proven right, there has been no report on his licence status. Maybe the other bike rider doesn't have a licence either. Nothing has been reported either way. But what teacherduck claimed was only assumed because the students in his class do not have licences and that does not mean that all students do not have licences as I know for fact of many 15 year olds that do have licences because I helped them to get them.

Russell my man, yes the teacher did assume in this particular case as I have already agreed

In the post you replied to he gave an overview of the license situation

In which he said the RTP and road authorities should visit the schools and take action against any students using a moto without a license

The post where he spoke about no one possessing a license was specifically concerning his own class / students

As we all know some have and some dont have a license, thats life

There now is that better

Edited by oldlakey

6 hours ago, puchooay said:

Well...it's one reason why I have been through that junction many times and am still alive. Over cautious??? I don't think so.

Dunno who's right here, but after viewing this video I have decided to review my policy of strict adherence to the "drive on the left unless overtaking" rule.

Edited by KiChakayan

39 minutes ago, snowgard said:

1.)  The SongThaew not turn right or give the signal!!!
2.) The SongThaew drive in the left line, so him can't overtaking on the left line!!!
 Him must do it in the right line!!!

Unbelievable how some people construct their own rules. Especially motorcyclists!!!

I am not talking about this incident.

FACT, overtaking on the inside is legal where there are 2 or more carriageways in the same direction.

I this incident it is questionable whether the boy would still be alive if he had ridden on the carriageway and not inside the 'spillover lane'.....................that does not take away the blame from the guy coming out of the side soi.

Sign after sign after red-light sign reads "Left Turn Continuous", i.e. no stopping, so soi boy is just doing what is more or less legal in Thailand. There is no explanation for how two vehicles occupy the same space, if that's the way the dice roll, so for better or worse, thru traffic has to assume the worse at every soi, because they will not stop, ever. That is ingrained...