Brand new transformer exploded causing fire that injured two behind Walking Street

webfact

Brand new transformer exploded causing fire that injured two behind Walking Street

2pm1.jpg

Electrical authorities in Pattaya have said that the fire that engulfed two bars and incinerated 17 motorcycles in the soi behind the Marine Hotel in South Pattaya at the weekend was caused by a brand new transformer exploding.

But no one knows why just yet. A committee of inquiry has been set up.

The transformer had been in place just one day, said the Pattaya chief.

2pm.jpg

Yesterday provincial electricity chief Chartchai Phumrin was surveying the damage with local electrical chiefs and the police.

Daily News said that damage from the fire would be at least 10 million baht.

Apart from the shops and bikes other signage and awnings were slightly damaged.

One tourist was sent to hospital with burns and a Thai suffered smoke inhalation.

Some 50 staff from the Pattaya electrical authority joined with cable and internet operators in repairs to wiring. A new transformer was expected to be in place restoring power to the area by yesterday evening.

Tourists and locals dropped by for selfies and Facebook live footage despite cones and warning signs being set up.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-12

We're all waiting for a fire that eventually will kill people and tourists at that, this is when the

authorities will spring into action with fact finding committees a a ban on this and that,

somethings NEVER change....

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ezzra said:

We're all waiting for a fire that eventually will kill people and tourists at that, this is when the

authorities will spring into action with fact finding committees a a ban on this and that,

somethings NEVER change....

Well, you are, the more the better eh.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, keith101 said:

or the transformer just wasn't big enough to cope with all the load from the bars and restaurants in the area  

probable... the sound systems alone must use about as much as a small village...the noise is terrible.

Edited by johng

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

or the transformer just wasn't big enough to cope with all the load from the bars and restaurants in the area  

Happened about 2yrs ago just outside our gate, big bang and flash at 1am but fortunately nothing much to burn out there at that time.

They said 'overload' by too much consumption in the affected area (mainly increasing number of AC's) and replaced it during the next 4 hrs with one of double capacity ...

No kind of 'safety-fuses' used (or technically possible?) on those things? 

• Like 1

Not sure how BUT I would think there has to be a way to test the load on the transformer.  If they did this properly they would have clubs one at a time power everything in the bar up to see if they reach the max.  Then maybe install a second transformer.

3 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

So they are still looking for an incinerated rodent they can put the blame on.

Hey it worked the last time a transformer blew up in that area.

There are none left of Burmese origin.:cheesy:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

NO doubt on how to avoid compensation for this 'act of God'

But much more. For some reason no investigator from our TVF Bureau of Financial Intelligence has yet weighed in with the usual conclusion: the whole thing was planned obsolescence so that another transformer could be purchased (heh heh) and installed again. It's like the CCTV scam that the Bureau so very shrewdly uncovered earlier. Not to mention road maintenance--when you compare Thai road building to that of the ancient Romans--well, it all becomes clear.

Edited by JSixpack

1 hour ago, MaxLee said:

Was it made in China?

Er, we prefer to describe it as ' Quality Control entrusted to our contractor in far Cathay'

The unit cost does not include optional cooling oil which is to be supplied by the buyer.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

Yep Keith I agree with you , I have seen 3 blow up in my time here ,One was opposite Lucifer night club when walking street was quite active about 8pm ,The noise and sparks hot metal frightened everyone . another went off near the condo I lived in on cosy beach hill 6am ,I swear the ground shook. Whats in them that makes them explode?? Doesn't seem to occur in western world least I never heard of it. You would think being bomb like they should be caged or well away from the public . Imagine walkin pissed one night and having that go off above you it does appear to be a common occurance .

1 hour ago, MaxLee said:

Was it made in China?

1 hour ago, Lee4Life said:

O.K., I'll throw my hat in the ring... Made in China?

7 minutes ago, malibukid said:

made in China?

So original.  Don't you lot feel embarrassed copying other poster's dynamic work?