Vaping could get you ten years in a Thai prison

webfact

Vaping could get you ten years in a Thai prison

It’s not a new law, with the import of electronic cigarettes and shisha being banned back in October 2014, but most tourists don’t know about the three year old laws.

By Tanutam Thawan

E-Cigarette-Electronic_Cigarette-E-Cigs-

Vaping, the popular alternative to smoking cigarettes, might be OK where you come from, but in Thailand sucking on your favourite ‘vape’, or even bringing them into the country, could put put you in a Thai prison for ten years.

It’s not a new law, with the import of electronic cigarettes and shisha being banned back in October 2014, but most tourists don’t know about the three year old laws. Adding to the confusion the new laws are often not enforced.

In the UK, a travel agent, Pat Waterton, says the law is clear but that more tourists need to know about it. It comes after her nephew had been threatened with time in prison for smoking an electronic cigarette in Bangkok. In the end he was only fined the equivalent of $150.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/vaping-could-get-you-ten-years-in-a-thai-prison-2

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-03-22

1 hour ago, webfact said:

in Thailand sucking on your favourite ‘vape’, or even bringing them into the country, could put put you in a Thai prison for ten years.

Yeah, but isn´t that a little bit harsh? I mean, what happens to the rest of the law? According to that possible sentence, jaywalking would give you 3-5 years.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

This situation is pathetic.

I hope all vapers stop coming to Thailand until the law is changed. It will be changed, it's just a matter of when.

That would be when the Tobacco Monopoly stops crying and mans up!

• Like 1

I don't have an issue with vaping

but the open use and distribution of highly toxic shisha in pattaya is being totally ignored

I see it daily, so if using the stuff has such severe penalties what about distribution supply and equipment rental of shisha