Schools targeted as 80 foreigners arrested nationwide

webfact

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

"In the latest operation, police searched 127 spots around the country, including 13 international schools, 17 language schools and 61 normal schools"

The language schools aren't closed.

And many schools have summer programs.

3 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

If you are illegal you are illegal whether it be a school teacher or a bog cleaner.

Well done thailand

Agreed, but I do feel a little uneasy at this 'foreigner' label. Xenophobic we know they are but this glee to announce over stayers are caught verges on exposing the sheer delight of getting none Thais. While a myriad of better things they could focus on go on unnoticed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

There is quite a good reason as to why the found no Thai overstayers

quite right too lol. I meant the fact they can concentrate their efforts without worrying about having to pull in any brethren. almost like getting an out of visa farang counts more.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, mvdf said:

Why? Are you resentful of the fact that nationals of your country and others are those who mostly transgress the laws of the Kingdom? I'm from the Philippines and happy to see that people from my country respect the visa rules of this country! Why would you find it strange that Filipinos are not arrested? They have the proper visas so there is nothing strange about it! Having cheap Filipino English teachers doesn't make them illegal workers in Thailand. They may be paid lower than those proclaiming to be better teachers here but they abide by the visa laws so there is nothing strange about this. It's purely your envy and resentment which makes you post what you just posted!

Quite so.  I think he is confusing cheap with illegal.  But there must also be some transgressors- just a statistical quirk maybe.

1 hour ago, mvdf said:

Why? Are you resentful of the fact that nationals of your country and others are those who mostly transgress the laws of the Kingdom? I'm from the Philippines and happy to see that people from my country respect the visa rules of this country! Why would you find it strange that Filipinos are not arrested? They have the proper visas so there is nothing strange about it! Having cheap Filipino English teachers doesn't make them illegal workers in Thailand. They may be paid lower than those proclaiming to be better teachers here but they abide by the visa laws so there is nothing strange about this. It's purely your envy and resentment which makes you post what you just posted!

now calm down. what i said was based on what i have seen and heard. most visa run buses from on nut are packed with filipinos doing visa runs so i was just surprised that some weren't teaching without permits etc. so so very sorry that you are soooo easily offended

**envy? a flipper on 25k a month OK mate

Edited by Happy enough

41 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Quite so.  I think he is confusing cheap with illegal.  But there must also be some transgressors- just a statistical quirk maybe.

Actually I met few Pinoy ladies in Nonthaburi all over 45 &all overstated their Visas?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Happy enough said:

"Eight other foreigners were arrested on other criminal charges –four Vietnamese, two Myanmarians, one Indian, and one Briton"

i assume these others were for not having a WP. Interesting they are targeting the schools now

It hasn't been that rare that school checks have been made.

1 hour ago, mvdf said:

BANGKOK, THAILAND - In 2015, the Philippine Embassy reported that there were 15,662 Filipinos in Thailand. This was accounted as follows: 1,025 are permanent migrants (they are married to Thais); temporary migrants, 13,266 are temporary migrants or those issued with work permits by the Thai Ministry of Labor, and the irregular or undocumented accounted to 1,371. However, the numbers could be higher because most Filipinos coming here to work entered as tourists. They have either friends or family members who encouraged them to work in the Kingdom.

https://www.thefilipinogroup.com/single-post/2017/08/16/Filipino-teachers-in-Thailand-A-closer-look

I don't think that the OP was meant to write anything negative about Filipinos in general.13,266 of temporary migrants is a pretty high number, don't you think? 

Would they've raided government schools a few weeks before they were closed, the numbers might be a little bit different. 

5 hours ago, Happy enough said:

strange thing about that is there were no filipinos arrested. maybe they are all legal but i thought they used alot of cheap filipino english teachers in the schools

The filipino teachers mostly have Education degrees and get work permits, so they wouldn't be arrested.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, duanebigsby said:

The filipino teachers mostly have Education degrees and get work permits, so they wouldn't be arrested.

So if they have " Education degrees" why come and work in Thailand.. I would think they would get better money elsewhere in the world with such "degrees"..

Just a thought.....

B

5 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

I suppose that if you need to find fault you will.

Many posters ( not all ) on here complain on many fronts about police ( some warranted but most undiluted disrespectful bigotry).

The police do something positive and still many feel the need to keep carping on.

Then again that's how many such people get their jollies I suppose.

I get my jollies wherever I can at my age and unfortunately they are few and far between. 

filipinos. since i was attacked for my comment which was in no way meant to offend any brittle people. few weeks ago was in a restaurant near the entrance to shangri la. ordered my stuff in thai to be told, quite angrily, hey i am not thai, don't speak to me in thai, i don't understand. well learn thai mate. go to on nut tesco at 4/5am and tell me all those angelic flippers aren't working here illegally. i made a fair comment

• Like 1