Need Franke Rangehood repair. Where?

giddyup

Our Franke rangehood died this morning, but I can't find anyone locally to come and look at it, even though Franke products seen to be sold everywhere in Pattaya. Rang the Franke service centre in Bangkok, but the technician has a 600 baht call out to come to Pattaya. Rang Numchai but they can't recommend anyone, so any other suggestions?

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Sounds like a bargain. 3-4 hours travel plus tollways and fuel. 

He waits until there are a few jobs in Patttaya to do, he doesn't make a special trip for me. It's also 600 baht plus time and parts for the job. Prefer to get someone local if possible.

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Sounds like a bargain. 3-4 hours travel plus tollways and fuel. 

And there's an actual chance someone from the BKK service center might even have had some training to do what they are supposed to do, instead of having the common Somchai screw it all up. 600b is worth a try.

• Like 1

If you can find a local company probably you still have to pay 600B for a house call or not much less. How old is your Franke? If it is out of warranty and having motor problem I'd just get a new one.

In the states a rangehood last "forever". I have no luck with them here. Fargo 5 years, Teka another 5 years. The new Hafele with shinny aluminum baffle filter looks good, may be another 5? Teka has the best aftersale service with a service center on Chaiyapruak Road.

3 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

If you can find a local company probably you still have to pay 600B for a house call or not much less. How old is your Franke? If it is out of warranty and having motor problem I'd just get a new one.

In the states a rangehood last "forever". I have no luck with them here. Fargo 5 years, Teka another 5 years. The new Hafele with shinny aluminum baffle filter looks good, may be another 5? Teka has the best aftersale service with a service center on Chaiyapruak Road.

It's around 8 years old and has been used a lot, so not a bad run, but I'm sure it can be repaired, the worst scenario would be a new motor, not much else that can go wrong with them. The technician from Franke is coming today so will report outcome.

Edited by giddyup

Looks like a new range hood is in order. The motor is kaput, wiring eaten by a rat according to technician, but I seriously doubt that because the unit is sealed and vented to outside with a covered vent. To replace the motor will cost more than a new range hood, so I'll be out looking for a new one tomorrow. Technician was happy to quote a price for a private job, where money would go into his pocket instead of the company.

Edited by giddyup

So much for getting the technician from Franke. He said that the motor was kaput and advised me to buy a new rangehood. I took the motor to a local guy who said that one wire had been eaten through and it was easily fixed.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

So much for getting the technician from Franke. He said that the motor was kaput and advised me to buy a new rangehood. I took the motor to a local guy who said that one wire had been eaten through and it was easily fixed.

That's the problem with "mechanics" from bigger shops. They'll be happy to push you a new unit even if they could fix the old one. And on the other side of the balance is the Somchai destroying half of the universe "fixing" it. Hence .. DIY whenever you can. 

7 hours ago, DrTuner said:

That's the problem with "mechanics" from bigger shops. They'll be happy to push you a new unit even if they could fix the old one. And on the other side of the balance is the Somchai destroying half of the universe "fixing" it. Hence .. DIY whenever you can. 

I thought you recommended a "technician" from Franke?

2 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

Mechanic from big shop..

DIY...

Local guy..

Don't missa valuable lesson here: you need a mouse trap! :)

Sorry, don't get your point. My lesson learned is that the so-called 'technician" may not want to fix anything, but just collect his 650 baht for call-out fee. I wouldn't be attempting a DIY on anything electrical, I'd either kill myself or burn the house down.

sorry about the mouse trap joke....don't know if you have a cat.  :)

seriously I think you did everything right. You hired a mechanic to find out what went wrong with old Franke and made an informed decision yourself what to do with it.

Edited by Thailand J

33 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Said it was worth a try. DIY is always preferred to having Thais do anything.

DIY is OK if you know what you're doing, but I saw these guys pull my range hood apart and it's something I wouldn't have attempted myself.

• 6 years later...