Bus hostess killed, 11 bus passengers injured in Lampang accident

webfact

Bus hostess killed, 11 bus passengers injured in Lampang accident

By The Nation

dk76faikgbgajck5ehggd.jpg

Picture: Komchadluek

A bus hostess was killed and 11 passengers were injured when a Bangkok-Chiang Rai bus ran off the road and hit trees early on Friday.

Police said the accident happened at 5am on the Ngao-Song road in Ban Poh village in Tambon Ban Pong in Lampang’s Ngow district.

The bus hostess, Penpit Jarujit, died at the scene. The 11 injured passengers were sent to the Ngow hospital.

The rest of the passengers were transported in another bus to their destination in Chiang Rai.

Bus driver Thian Naksawat, 57, was taken to the Ngow police station for questioning as he was suspected of falling asleep behind the wheel and causing the accident.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30342597

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-06

Umpteen years ago I used  a daytime mini bus visa run to Aranyaprathet. On rhe trip the driver could hardly keep his eyes open. When we arrived I felt sure the driver would have a snooze - but no!

I warned his lady assistant and asked her to talk to him to keep him awake.

After leaving and in no time at all SHE was fast asleep. Nightmare for me and another faring as we stared non stop into the rear mirror watching the drivers eyes 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lemonltr said:

Umpteen years ago I used  a daytime mini bus visa run to Aranyaprathet. On rhe trip the driver could hardly keep his eyes open. When we arrived I felt sure the driver would have a snooze - but no!

After leaving and in no time at all SHE was fast asleep. Nightmare for me and another faring as we stared non stop into the rear mirror watching the drivers eyes 

I have a similar story. Years ago, I was in the 3rd or 4th row in a tour bus during the daytime. I watched the driver's head nod and eyes fall shut. A woman across the aisle saw it, too, and gave me a nervous look. Scary as hell! I'm thinking, "Where will I be if all these people die?" I got up and asked the driver if he was sleepy. He laughed and acted like it was a big joke, but I'm glad to say I woke him up and he carried on alert.

• Like 2

Just now, jobwolf said:

I dread the numbers of dead and injured we will have just for the Songkran period.

People keep mentioning that, but the reality is that there a fewer road deaths over Songran , compared to non Songran 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

You should have taken the Jack Golf big bus, they always felt safe and professionally run. I wouldn't get in a mini bus for love or money,  not then, and certainly not today.

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Peasants ? Oh well, plenty left in the rice paddies....

The Hi-So don't travel on these buses, so it doesn't really matter...

Really?  My sister in-law travels on buses because she doesn't like flying and she can certainly afford other forms of travel.  "Peasants" as you call them don't have the money for buses with hostesses.  You will find them crammed into the backs of pick-ups.  Normal Thai people and thousands of farang students and travellers use these buses all the time.

Of course your post could have been ironic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They really need to employ someone to be sitting behind

the drivers,and everytime they nod off,give them a wack

on the head,with a stick,keep them awake for a few more

miles,but this is not failsafe, as I suspect the headbanger 

will also fall asleep.

Maybe they could rig up some device so when the drivers 

head  falls forward a small electric shock,better still a big

one,attached to his nether regions,would save a few lives.

regards Worgeordie

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

will also fall asleep.

regards Worgeordie

Many of these bus drivers use yaba (amphetamine) to stay awake while driving.  However, under increasing pressure, quite a few companies now test their drivers for drug use.  So you take your choice, either falling asleep or off of their heads on yaba.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

will also fall asleep.

regards Worgeordie

That's a bit harsh. The drivers don't determine the bus shifts and the maintenance schedules, they just follow orders. Maybe if they weren't being paid slave wages and allowed decent rest periods. they would be better drivers.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

will also fall asleep.

regards Worgeordie

There are fatigue alarms on the market. They rest behind the ear like hearing aid. If the head drops below a certain angle, it will sound. The big problem (here) is ensuring they are worn for the entire shift. Or at all.  

Edited by InfinityandBeyond
Amendment

51 minutes ago, searcher22 said:

That's a bit harsh. The drivers don't determine the bus shifts and the maintenance schedules, they just follow orders. Maybe if they weren't being paid slave wages and allowed decent rest periods. they would be better drivers.

It was just my way,sarcastically, to say something needs to be done,

and the quicker the better, the carnage just cannot go on.

regards worgeordie

11 hours ago, evadgib said:

Until drivers, owners and companies are fully held to account and the safety of their fleets brought up to standard inc CCTV and tacho we'll still be talking about this in decades to come.

but i thought the government brought out rules to cover vehicles, drivers, etc to be implemented by owners

12 hours ago, evadgib said:

Until drivers, owners and companies are fully held to account and the safety of their fleets brought up to standard inc CCTV and tacho we'll still be talking about this in decades to come.

Decades? Safe, driverless buses are coming sooner than we think, and they'll help put a dent on this carnage.

17 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

I have a similar story. Years ago, I was in the 3rd or 4th row in a tour bus during the daytime. I watched the driver's head nod and eyes fall shut. A woman across the aisle saw it, too, and gave me a nervous look. Scary as hell! I'm thinking, "Where will I be if all these people die?" I got up and asked the driver if he was sleepy. He laughed and acted like it was a big joke, but I'm glad to say I woke him up and he carried on alert.

Thai drivers are not conditioned to driving long distances, when I used to work in Oz and live in Thailand I would have to drive for 18 hours to get home once I flew into Perth, I considered myself lucky as I had been a interstate driver since my late teens and had an experienced driver teach me.

Just another brake brain failure. :post-4641-1156693976: Wrong person killed in this road crash.

The sooner there is a change of Government the better. At least then there MAYBE something positive done about reducing the road trauma.

The current Government is as useless as 'tits on a bull' in dealing with this problem! 

Edited by lvr181
Additional wording

After reading about so many bus crashes over the past few days, does anyone think some bus companies deserve some recognition for what appears to be a higher safety standard?
For example NCA do not have those dreadful double-decker hybrid vehicles with recycled parts (they seem to have a fleet of modern Mercedes-Benz vehicles) and they also change drivers about halfway through the trip on a long distance journey.
I did travel on one of them many years ago but things might be different now I don't know. Their name never seems to appear in any of these accidents reports?

https://www2.nakhonchaiair.com/news