Carnage avoidance as truck driver praised for driving skills

webfact

Carnage avoidance as truck driver praised for driving skills

6pm.jpg

Pictures: TNews

Footage from Thailand's north west drew praise from the Thai media for the driver of a container truck that was coming down a hill.

The 18 wheeler suffered brake failure.

The driver manages to avoid a vehicle directly in front and another truck and use the roadside barrier to slow down and come to a halt with no one suffering injury.

30594652_1577535735692458_3293634514621825024_n.jpg

The incident happened on Tuesday on the hill of Doi Kha heading towards the border town of Mae Sot.

The driver was Saman Thongthot who said that his truck developed brake difficulties.

TNews praised him for great driving.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-12

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

pretty much every case of 'brake failure' in Thailand is a result of these uneducated drivers failing to understand their vehicle

Yours is the 5th post and all before agree on the same thing. Ignorance.

Personally, I have never driven an HGV or Semi truck, but I have driven  locomotives which used dynamic braking to slow downhill speed. DB is different concept to truck braking, 

From the photo, it appears to be a late model cab-over tractor trailer unit. Lack of ability in operation of the air brake system seems to be the primary cause of all these "brake failures. In fact it seems so prevalent, I am surprised Thailand hasn't claimed to be the hub of "spectacular brake failures".

Rather than lauding the driver for not killing anyone, questions should be asked as to what he was doing prior to the incident and what measures he took to slow the vehicle apart from smashing into the concrete barriers etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Oh come on, there's been so many fatal accidents in the news lately, they need a "well done, you're amazing" story :)

Yes, I think they have found Thailands first Formula 1 driver.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

TNews are idiots then. If he had been in the correct low gear, as a good lorry driver should know to do, he wouldn't have needed the brakes so much and the incident would never have happened. The driver must be having a right laugh. He has trashed the lorry through not knowing how to drive, and is being told "well done." Any one out there wonder why the road stats are so bad?

Yep. There is NO HOPE for this place if they applaud these idiots :coffee1:

I've probably again broken some obscure clause by saying anything about the indigenous :passifier:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

The Driver should be thrown in Prison for dangerous driving. Bad driving. Use of brakes to much because going to fast.causeing brake faid. Common knowledge to educated people and police. Except Thailand. Brakes don’t come off if no air.they come on again common knowledge .

As for exhaust brakes they would not know what one is if they had them.

also having a 20ft container sat on the back of a 40ft trailer is a recipe for a disaster. No weight on the drive axle which will cause a jackknife when braking to hard.

Many knowledgeable people on the forum and the consensus is that it was poor driving. 

Driver education sadly lacking in many Asian countries. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, agudbuk said:

Why do we never hear of cars and trucks having brake failures in European countries? Do they have different braking systems?

No, but if you have time watch and learn. The Thai drivers seem to have more accidents because it is commonly agreed  that they are less competent operators. You probably never hear of these European accidents for the same reason Europeans probably never hear of Thai accidents, unless there's a large number of fatalities.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=american+truck+brake+failures&oq=american+truck+brake+failures&aqs=chrome..69i57.10385j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=truck+brake+failures+in+europe&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhqIn1wLTaAhVMrI8KHU75BTsQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=637&dpr=1

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

TNews are idiots then. If he had been in the correct low gear, as a good lorry driver should know to do, he wouldn't have needed the brakes so much and the incident would never have happened. The driver must be having a right laugh. He has trashed the lorry through not knowing how to drive, and is being told "well done." Any one out there wonder why the road stats are so bad?

your right about using gears....people here are NOT taught this fact that they actually slow  a vehicle down

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

EXACTLY!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, but if you have time watch and learn. The Thai drivers seem to have more accidents because it is commonly agreed  that they are less competent operators. You probably never hear of these European accidents for the same reason Europeans probably never hear of Thai accidents, unless there's a large number of fatalities.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=american+truck+brake+failures&oq=american+truck+brake+failures&aqs=chrome..69i57.10385j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
https://www.google.co.th/search?q=truck+brake+failures+in+europe&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhqIn1wLTaAhVMrI8KHU75BTsQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=637&dpr=1
Well I read a few bits and googled it but I didn't find any hard statistics or accident reports.
Nearly all of the brake failure reports are just from drivers saying their brakes didn't work rather than from anything evidence.
Maybe a pilot would say the wings stopped giving us lift and without any accident investigation or black box recording to show he had flown into the ground that would be the only report.

My own suspicion is that not using low gears when descending hills and driver inattention are more likely accident causes.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, agudbuk said:

Why do we never hear of cars and trucks having brake failures in European countries? Do they have different braking systems?

yeah  theyre  brain  assisted in  Europe

• Like 2

19 hours ago, keith101 said:

I have never heard one truck/bus using the Jake brake on a decline anywhere in this country .

The what?    don't mention that to uneducated Thai driver, he only just found out what the brake pedal was for.( another excuse to cover incompetent driving skills)