Model Janice Dickinson tells jury that Cosby drugged, raped her

webfact

Model Janice Dickinson tells jury that Cosby drugged, raped her

By David DeKok

2018-04-12T212735Z_1_LYNXMPEE3B26O_RTROPTP_4_PEOPLE-COSBY.JPG

Model Janice Dickinson, walks through the Montgomery County Courthouse while on a break from testifying against actor and comedian Bill Cosby during the fourth day of his sexual assault retrial case in Norristown, Pennsylvania, U.S., April 12, 2018. Mark Makela/Pool via Reuters

NORRISTOWN, Pa. (Reuters) - Former supermodel Janice Dickinson testified on Thursday that Bill Cosby drugged and raped her at a Lake Tahoe home in 1982, a story similar to those of other alleged victims called as witnesses in the comedian's sexual assault retrial.

"I wanted to hit him, wanted to punch him in the face," said Dickinson, a highly successful model in the 1970s and 1980s. "I felt anger, was humiliated, disgusted, ashamed."

Cosby, who played the loveable patriarch and "America's Dad" on "The Cosby Show," is on trial in Pennsylvania for a second time on accusations of drugging and sexually assaulting former friend and colleague Andrea Constand, 45, in 2004.

In all some 50 women have accused Cosby of molestation going back decades. All but Constand’s case were too old to be prosecuted, and Cosby’s first trial ended in a mistrial last June due to a deadlocked jury.

Cosby is accused of giving pills to college administrator Constand and assaulting her at his home near Philadelphia.

Cosby has denied the charge of aggravated indecent assault of Constand, saying any sexual contact was consensual. His lawyers have portrayed Constand as a gold-digging con artist.

Dickinson is the fourth of five accusers permitted by Montgomery County Judge Steven O'Neill to tell their stories to the jury in the suburban Philadelphia courtroom.

Describing a scenario similar to three previous accusers, Dickinson said Cosby contacted her and offered career help.

He flew her to Lake Tahoe, Nevada, where she met Cosby and his musical director for dinner and complained of menstrual cramps. "I have something for that," Cosby said, according to her testimony.

She testified that he gave her a little blue pill, which she swallowed. Cosby then took her back to his room, where Dickinson, 27 at the time, shot several pictures of him with her Polaroid camera that were projected in court.

"I was really light-headed," she said. "When I spoke, it didn't sound like words were coming out. We weren't discussing my career. He was on the phone."

She testified that when he finished his call, he climbed on top of her.

"I remember his breath, the taste of his kiss, cigars and espresso. Here was 'America's Dad' on top of me, a happily married man with five kids, and how very, very wrong it was," Dickinson said.

She found semen between her legs the next day, she said. Confronting Cosby later that day, she demanded to know why he did it. His response was silence and a facial expression that conveyed, "You're crazy," she testified.

Dickinson said she did not report the assault to police out of fear it would destroy her career. She said she had long struggled to make it as a model and finally had premiere clients such as cosmetics titan Revlon Inc <REV.N> "who would not have appreciated it if I had been raped and gone to the police."

Defense lawyer Thomas Mesereau began his cross-examination by focusing on a book ostensibly authored by Dickinson but actually ghost-written by Pablo Fenjves, who also penned O.J. Simpson's book, "If I Did It."

Dickinson said she wanted the book's sections about her rape to be complete and honest and gave that information to Fenjves but its use was overruled by publisher Judith Regan.

(Reporting by David DeKok; writing by Daniel Trotta and Barbara Goldberg; editing by Cynthia Osterman and G Crosse)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-13

Cosby's is one of the first high profile cases of the current #MeToo phenomenon. He, Weinstein and many others now charged, had what I would think would be a great opportunity for having consensual sex with good looking celebrity wannabees. I do not doubt that rape and sexual harassment occurs, but I have to wonder how many of these allegations are sour grapes and/or copy cats whose virtue is now offended by a conscious decision made long ago to offer up some leg to get ahead in the business. Their dreams of stardom did not materialize and now they "realize" it was rape.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It seems that a woman's definition of rape changes with context. And, it has to be said, weakens the position of those who are raped violently against their will. Like Janice Dickinson is on a parallel with some Yazidi girl? Not all women who claim rape now, were totally against the idea initially.

Edited by nausea
  • Like 1

I just find it a little bizarre that when you go for dinner with someone you complain of menstrual cramps and then when a man says "I have something for that" (Men keep anti-menstrual cramp tablets in their hotel rooms all the time) and produces a "little blue tablet" that you take it and just pop it on down. Looking at the woman I hope the lawyers are arguing that it is clear that Cosby had intended to take the tablet himself.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, smotherb said:

Cosby's is one of the first high profile cases of the current #MeToo phenomenon. He, Weinstein and many others now charged, had what I would think would be a great opportunity for having consensual sex with good looking celebrity wannabees. I do not doubt that rape and sexual harassment occurs, but I have to wonder how many of these allegations are sour grapes and/or copy cats whose virtue is now offended by a conscious decision made long ago to offer up some leg to get ahead in the business. Their dreams of stardom did not materialize and now they "realize" it was rape.

Hello it's 2018 not a

So if your daughter, sister, aunt, mother, wife was duped, drugged or physically forced to have sex on the pretence of a career move or worse drugged or physically coerced you would just shrug and say tough ?

What a role model.

Your female family members and friends must be proud knowing you are in their corner to defend their honour and integrity 

Edited by Expatthailover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Expatthailover said:

Hello it's 2018 not a

So if your daughter, sister, aunt, mother, wife was duped, drugged or physically forced to have sex on the pretence of a career move or worse drugged or physically coerced you would just shrug and say tough ?

What a role model.

Your female family members and friends must be proud knowing you are in their corner to defend their honour and integrity 

I would assume though, that he would not wait 36 years before taking any action. If a woman is having sex in the hope of a career move, surely it is a voluntary choice on her part, UNLESS any form of  physical force or drugs were involved.  

These accusation should not be allowed after a certain period of (perhaps) a maximum of ten years.  Mens' careers and reputations are being ruined by , in some cases, spurious accusations relating to alleged incidents taking place many many years earlier, which are now impossible to prove or disprove, unless (improbably) witnessed by a third party.

Having said that, any man proved guilty beyond any doubt, should pay the full price, both in terms of prison time and financial penalties.

3 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Hello it's 2018 not a

What a role model.

Hello. Can you read? I neither mentioned drugging, being duped or physically forced nor did I say rape does not occur; I said, " . . . I have to wonder how many of these allegations are sour grapes and/or copy cats whose virtue is now offended by a conscious decision made long ago . . . "

As a university professor, I had more than one hot young lady come to me and offer, " . . .to do anything . . ." so that she could make a passing grade so daddy would not be upset with her.

My question was how many of this current swarm of allegations are false? If you doubt false rape allegations happen, simply google it. The more prevalent problem I see is the number of actual rapes that go unreported.

23 hours ago, smotherb said:

Drugging a person, then having sex whilst they are unconscious doesn't = offering up a leg. 

I'm sure given the opportunity, some of those would have eventually offered up a leg after a bit of cajoling. As would be their human right. 

However, he took their opportunity to choose away from them when he drugged them. Even Cosby admits giving them drugs. 

45 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Drugging a person, then having sex whilst they are unconscious doesn't = offering up a leg. 

I'm sure given the opportunity, some of those would have eventually offered up a leg after a bit of cajoling. As would be their human right. 

However, he took their opportunity to choose away from them when he drugged them. Even Cosby admits giving them drugs. 

What, another non-reader? I neither said Cosby was innocent nor limited my query to Cosby's accusers. I said, " . . .  He, Weinstein and many others now charged, had what I would think would be a great opportunity for having consensual sex with good looking celebrity wannabees. I do not doubt that rape and sexual harassment occurs, but I have to wonder how many of these allegations are sour grapes and/or copy cats whose virtue is now offended by a conscious decision made long ago to offer up some leg to get ahead in the business . . ." You know, like how many of this recent surge of allegations against so many could be false?

Try doing some research and see yourself. The Journal of Forensic Psychology has made several studies on the subject with varying percentages of false allegations. However, the FBI concluded 8% of US rape allegations were false; and Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Crown Prosecution Service Inspectorate deemed 11.8% of rape allegations in England and Wales were false https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/the-prevalence-of-false-allegations-of-rape-in-the-united-states-from-20062010-2475-319X-1000119.pdf.

13 hours ago, smotherb said:

What, another non-reader? I neither said Cosby was innocent nor limited my query to Cosby's accusers. I said, " . . .  He, Weinstein and many others now charged, had what I would think would be a great opportunity for having consensual sex with good looking celebrity wannabees. I do not doubt that rape and sexual harassment occurs, but I have to wonder how many of these allegations are sour grapes and/or copy cats whose virtue is now offended by a conscious decision made long ago to offer up some leg to get ahead in the business . . ." You know, like how many of this recent surge of allegations against so many could be false?

Try doing some research and see yourself. The Journal of Forensic Psychology has made several studies on the subject with varying percentages of false allegations. However, the FBI concluded 8% of US rape allegations were false; and Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Crown Prosecution Service Inspectorate deemed 11.8% of rape allegations in England and Wales were false https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/the-prevalence-of-false-allegations-of-rape-in-the-united-states-from-20062010-2475-319X-1000119.pdf.

that is a fact that women accuse rape for unacceptable reasons. Your comment is unacceptable because clearly that does not apply in this case. 

The first woman that reported Cosby was  not believed because of the reason that you have stated. 

since then several women came forward with the same story which showed is modus operande. Being given a drug and waking up being violated at some point. If you read from Cosby, he freely admits that he gave medication to each of the women. His defense is that they consented during their blackout and could not remember. You did not say he was innocent. But you well implied that the women's claim is false and or they asked for it. 

It's her fault, she asked for it because. ...

She wore a short skirt. 

She was drinking. 

She kissed him. 

She should not have been out late. 

She flirted. 

One of the women was in a consentual relationship with him. But they broke up. He invited her to his home, then drugged and rapped her. A child was conceived. 

You should read yourself. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, greenchair said:

that is a fact that women accuse rape for unacceptable reasons. Your comment is unacceptable because clearly that does not apply in this case. 

The first woman that reported Cosby was  not believed because of the reason that you have stated. 

since then several women came forward with the same story which showed is modus operande. Being given a drug and waking up being violated at some point. If you read from Cosby, he freely admits that he gave medication to each of the women. His defense is that they consented during their blackout and could not remember. You did not say he was innocent. But you well implied that the women's claim is false and or they asked for it. 

It's her fault, she asked for it because. ...

She wore a short skirt. 

She was drinking. 

She kissed him. 

She should not have been out late. 

She flirted. 

One of the women was in a consentual relationship with him. But they broke up. He invited her to his home, then drugged and rapped her. A child was conceived. 

You should read yourself. 

Do you still not understand? How can you say, "You did not say he was innocent. But you well implied that the women's claim is false and or they asked for it"? Again, you seem to lack the required reading comprehension gene. I am not speaking specifically of Cosby, or worse yet, any one Cosby case; when I ask how many allegations are false. However, even with Cosby's cases, I would still ask the same question. How many of the allegations against Cosby are false? What part of that question confuses you so?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, BuriramSam said:

Look, it's horrible what Cosby did to her. No question. But she decided to go along with being raped to further her career. Very stupid. She should also sure her plastic surgeon.

As a comparison, I wonder what you'd put up with if the deal on the table was you either go along with this or get thrown out of Thailand and will never be allowed back?

People are very often placed in the position of having to make very difficult choices. Cosby and his enables understood this and used their power within the industry to silence the very many women he raped. 

Harvy Weinstein did the same thing.

Be assured there are very many more like them.

• Thanks 1