TM30 Reporting

Hi,

I never knew that one have to go to immigration to do this within 24 hours arrival at a place of residence. I have been to Thailand in so many years without doing it, and this is the first time I did. So I started googling and learnt that hotels do that for you. Do even the small ones like no-name guest houses do that too?

I went to get a residency certificate and was asked why I was about 10 days late notifying, I did get my TM30. Now I am about to convert my visa and they said they are going to ask that again retrospectively even though they already given it to me.

If one said they stayed with friends, or bunked in as an additional person at a hotel, etc. Do they ever ask where, who, and then ring up? Seems like too much work for them.

thanks

Matt

2 hours ago, st11x said:

If one said they stayed with friends, or bunked in as an additional person at a hotel, etc. Do they ever ask where, who, and then ring up? Seems like too much work for them.

Wouldn't be a question of them lifting a finger to do anything but more a matter of relying on your friends or hotel to report your stay to their local immigration office. Unlikely that the hotel would report, I would have thought, unless they specifically asked to see your passport prior to - or during - your stay.

2 minutes ago, wanderluster said:

Is this TM30 required if you own your own condo?

Yes, but not all offices enforce the law.

Bangkok as an example do not require TM30's to be filed.

You should check with your local offices what their requirements are.

Under the Immigration Act their is a requirement for the 'alien' to report his residence on entering the Country.

That's the TM6 arrival departure card.

Their is another requirement for the house master, owner or possessor of a residence to notify the arrival of a foreigner at the residence within 24 hours of arrival at such.

That's the TM30.

My friend lives in Bangkok with his wife and had never done a TM30 either upon arrival or after travelling within the country. 90 day reports have all been done over the past 5 years with no issues. He used to be on a marriage visa but changed to the retirement visa because it is less work.  However he went to renew his Thai driving licence and it was identified that he had not reported and consequently his wife had to pay the fine. It would have been Samutprakarn office. I am sure he said it was a 2000 baht fine that they negotiated down to 1000 baht.

5 hours ago, OJAS said:

Wouldn't be a question of them lifting a finger to do anything but more a matter of relying on your friends or hotel to report your stay to their local immigration office. Unlikely that the hotel would report, I would have thought, unless they specifically asked to see your passport prior to - or during - your stay.

I suppose if they wouldn't validate your story, then they'll just take the easy way out and give you instead of the homeowner a fine. This is especially if the homeowner is your spouse. 

Interesting that Bangkok does not require it but it is required elsewhere.

Matt

26 minutes ago, markeewan said:

I am sure he said it was a 2000 baht fine that they negotiated down to 1000 baht.

Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not
exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht
to 10,000 Baht.

• Like 1

Today's TM30 discovery thread...

Maybe it's part of a master plan to have all those pesky furreners relocate to Bangkok from the provinces.

....and once they're all in the big mango, they will start asking for their TM30's.

• Like 1

Last year on return from overseas (had a re-entry permit) I took my wife - the householder - to Hua Hin Immigration with my first ever TM 30 in hand. The IO checked the database and my record and told me 'not required' I have reported the same address for thirteen years worth of 90 day and annual Retirement Extensions which seems to have consolidated my position.

I think that if you are single and change accommodation from time to time it would be 'wanted'.

54 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I am guessing that BKK doesn't require it because to many farang there anyway to keep track of.

Can you imagine how many warehouses full of paper there would be in Bangkok if the TM30 was enforced there?

I only tripped over it on my last retirement extension in Chiang Mai, 8 years before that it never arose. Just another example of Parkinson's law.

• Like 1

Immigration have only recently started enforcing TM30 registration. I know of people who have been fined for not reporting, when they went to get Certificate of Residence.

I own my own place and never reported, however, after returning in March I went ti Immigration to report and find out what its about etc.

According to the officer, if you own and stay at your own place, you must personally report.via TM 30. If you then go and travel around Thailand and stay in hotels etc, you will not need to continually report, as these places will report for you.

If you leave Thailand for any reason - visa run, go home , hoilday etc, you must report again with TM30 on your return. 

If you have foreign guests come and stay at your own property, YOU must report that they are staying with you as well. 

11 hours ago, OJAS said:

FYI, Pattaya (Jomtiem) immigration are very hot on TM30 for extension of SETV (my personal experience)

I'm led to believe that they are not so insistent for Retirement extensions - friends experience.

Also, most hotels (all that I know) in Pattaya, BKK, Phuket take a copy of your passport and TM7 when you check in. This information should be passed to immigration and is by reputable establishments, but Pattaya at least still insist on a TM30 when you go for extension.

There are several threads running on this subject - here's one

And another with which I was involved - see posts 53 and 63

Edited by VBF

This country is an inconsistent, ridiculous mess. Here ya do...there ya don't...maybe, maybe not...sometimes, but not always. :post-4641-1156693976: 

Changed my addy from Jomtien to BKK when renewed my Extension of Stay (based on retirement) this past Dec. Had a witch of an IO and she fined me B2000 for not reporting within 24 hours. GF was with and was shocked at the rude attitude and fine. We were nothing but polite, well dressed, smiling and respectful. The woman was a total bitch. And yes...this was CW in BKK. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if u never leave the country, if u never check into a hotel where they ask for ur passport, ( ie i use my drivers license) u would have only done a tm 30 ONCE

each immigration is different and u need ask where u do your 90 day reports what they require

For PHUKET they ONLY require a tm30 if u leave the country and return..

Bangkok  never required.

Edited by phuketrichard

7 hours ago, OJAS said:

What's your local immigration office?

Chiang Mai, they do require it here. However you wouldn't have known about it unless you went to the office to get things like the residency letter or convert your visa. The other more common visa stuffs are in another part of the building, don't recall seeing anything about TM30 in that part.

Matt

I don"t remember was it 2015 when it became required in CM?

I have been in the same condo for years for example if I had proffered a TM30 form in August of that year it would have been refused, they would have handed it back to you. In September suddenly you are guilty of an offense for not having submitted, all and sundry finned 1600 baht$$$! I don't have any problems with the program but it would have been nice if they would have announced a grace period. Effectiveness of this program,meh, when  real foreign crims are operating in plain sight, working illegally, selling drugs and sex on the streets, operating nominee businesses and buying lands and houses through front companies and women. All it would take is for the RTP to get off their duffs and due their jobs!As for the real National security? It is going to take a little more effort to catch terrorists than asking them to fill out a form. Criminals don't follow rules. Most well meaning regulation amounts to a burden on the law abiding and nothing more.

Edited by ChiangMaiLightning2143

On 4/18/2018 at 7:27 PM, st11x said:

Chiang Mai, they do require it here. However you wouldn't have known about it unless you went to the office to get things like the residency letter or convert your visa. The other more common visa stuffs are in another part of the building, don't recall seeing anything about TM30 in that part.

Matt

Chiang Mai Immigration does check for a TM30 receipt in your passport when you apply for a re-entry permit and do your one-year extension for marriage or retirement.  So, it's pretty commonly known in Chiang Mai that you have to have a TM30 on file. 

However, it's one of the required documents that often trips up newbies trying to do a visa conversion.   When a newbie tries to get info from CM Imm. about what's needed for a conversion, they usually don't tell them about the TM30 until they're checking documents during the application appointment and then they ask for it, knowing full well that sometimes it can take several weeks for someone to get their houseowner to file one for them.

And some newbies may not know it, but many of the managers of the condo buildings are set up to file TM30s online for their residents -- they just have to ask.  No need to try to track down the owner of your rental condo in many cases.  

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

And some newbies may not know it, but many of the managers of the condo buildings are set up to file TM30s online for their residents -- they just have to ask.

They shouldn't have to ask Nancy.

Managers of hotels or Condo complexes have a duty to report the residence of foreigners.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

They shouldn't have to ask Nancy.

Managers of hotels or Condo complexes have a duty to report the residence of foreigners.

You are correct.  They shouldn't have to ask.

However, this is Thailand and often people who should do things, and have a duty to do things or tell you things, DON'T.   Never rely on what they are supposed to do here... as its always your fault at the end of the day lol.  

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:42 PM, wanderluster said:

what is this TM30?  I been here over 12 yrs and never did this. I give them my address when i get the card on the plane and when i do 90 day reporting. Is this not enough?  Is this TM30 required if you own your own condo?

same here 22 years