US report details Thai rights abuses

rooster59

THAILAND’S military junta remained a human rights abuser over the past year by limiting civil liberties, notably restriction of freedom of speech and assembly, according to the US State Department’s annual report on human rights.

Yeah, but any reports of beatings and torture? Indefinite incarcerations for just assembling? I didn't think so. Sure, the seditionists locked in their closets are sore about not being able to cause unrest with their idealism. But the majority of the rest of us don't share their angst -- and, in fact, are happy with the calm of the last few years. And, as far as restrictions on freedom of speech -- I guess the newspapers haven't gotten the word. Or at least the ones I can read, like The Nation. Much of their stuff begs for an overnight reeducation session. No, I'm ok with no freedom of mob assembly.

What about the neighborhood? The State Dept is pretty even handed here as well as with Thailand. Take Malaysia, that democratic bastion:

The most significant human rights issues included: an incident of forced disappearance; abusive and degrading treatment by security officials that in some cases led to death; the use of caning as a legal punishment; indefinite detention without warrant or judicial review for persons suspected of certain security-related crimes; arbitrary arrest and detention of government critics; limits on the freedoms of expression, including for the press, assembly, and association; limits on political rights and privacy; corruption; violence against transgender persons and criminalization of same-sex sexual activities, although the law was rarely enforced; and child and forced labor, especially for migrant workers.

https://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/hrrpt/2017/eap/277095.htm

And Singapore, a country often held up as the model for Asian style democracy, ana, managed democracy:

The most significant human rights issues included: caning as punishment imposed by the courts; preventive detention by government authorities under various laws without warrant, filing of charges, or normal judicial review; monitoring private electronic or telephone communications without a warrant; significant restrictions on freedoms of expression, including for the press and online, and assembly; the use of defamation laws to discourage criticism; laws and regulations significantly limiting freedom of association; and the criminalization of sexual activities between men, although the law was not enforced.

https://www.state.gov/documents/organization/277359.pdf

And, I guess there's no need to talk about Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Burma, and China.......

No, I think Thailand is doing just fine in the neighborhood. And will be just fine after the election, whenever that is -- not that a date certain is a big deal.

13 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

How is it that the world sees this current government for what it is but the military and the wealthy elite cannot see that ruling by force is wrong! Thailand's quiet majority will eventually crack under the weight of the Jack boot and rise up as one against the evil oppressors! Hopefully, a new legally democratic government appointed through the ballot box will overturn the amnesty which the current junta have given themselves and severely punish this self appointed rabble.

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You just don't understand Thainess.

Just now, JimGant said:

Yeah, but any reports of beatings and torture? Indefinite incarcerations for just assembling? I didn't think so. Sure, the seditionists locked in their closets are sore about not being able to cause unrest with their idealism. But the majority of the rest of us don't share their angst -- and, in fact, are happy with the calm of the last few years. And, as far as restrictions on freedom of speech -- I guess the newspapers haven't gotten the word. Or at least the ones I can read, like The Nation. Much of their stuff begs for an overnight reeducation session. No, I'm ok with no freedom of mob assembly.

What about the neighborhood? The State Dept is pretty even handed here as well as with Thailand. Take Malaysia, that democratic bastion:

And Singapore, a country often held up as the model for Asian style democracy, ana, managed democracy:

And, I guess there's no need to talk about Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Burma, and China.......

No, I think Thailand is doing just fine in the neighborhood. And will be just fine after the election, whenever that is -- not that a date certain is a big deal.

Who are the "seditionists"?

• Like 1

Well, if they have violence in their hearts -- and, yes, this has been the case in Thailand this past decade -- then the British classical definition of sedition (which Malaysia still uses) fits the bill:

A range of actions that could be considered seditous, if they are conducted with the intent to cause violence, are frequently listed as:

causing hatred or contempt, or incit[ing] disaffection against the Crown, the government, constitution, either House of Parliament or the administration of justice;
    to incite subjects to unlawfully attempt to alter matters of the church or state that were established by law;
    to incite crime or disturbances of the peace; raise discontent or disaffection amongst the Crown’s subjects; or
    to promote feelings of ill will and hostility between different social classes of the Crown’s subjects.  (Blackstone’s Criminal Practice 2010, ¶ B18.9)

• Haha 1

Just now, JimGant said:

Well, if they have violence in their hearts -- and, yes, this has been the case in Thailand this past decade -- then the British classical definition of sedition (which Malaysia still uses) fits the bill:

A range of actions that could be considered seditous, if they are conducted with the intent to cause violence, are frequently listed as:

causing hatred or contempt, or incit[ing] disaffection against the Crown, the government, constitution, either House of Parliament or the administration of justice;
    to incite subjects to unlawfully attempt to alter matters of the church or state that were established by law;
    to incite crime or disturbances of the peace; raise discontent or disaffection amongst the Crown’s subjects; or
    to promote feelings of ill will and hostility between different social classes of the Crown’s subjects.  (Blackstone’s Criminal Practice 2010, ¶ B18.9)

One of the funniest posts I've read in months!

• Like 1

One day while walking around Bangkok, about ten years ago, I was about to cross a roadway entrance with a toll booth when a police officer stopped me and told me I had to wait.  The then-queen's motorcade was entering the highway.  The toll booth attendants, well, I expected them to go into a low wai as the cars passed through, but instead the were made to evacuate their booths.

That one moment changed my perspective on the country.

12 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

'There will be an election in November 2018.'

'Well see that there is.'

Them. How dare anyone hold the junta chief to his promises?

• Like 1

At least Thailand's intelligence services haven't overthrown 83 governments world wide since world war 2. Many of those countries such as Guatemala were permanently maimed by the process, or what the US did to Iraq wasn't human rights violations? Did they not assassinate the Australian Prime Minister in the 70's? The US routinely unseats governments and installs them with human violators, you'd think that they be happy with the junta in Thailand. 

^^Oddysseus 123 if you'll notice,  put that as a question because I don't know,  I can't remember exactly where I read it or what the details were. If that is wrong then perhaps it was a candidate running for office or someone in a position to become the prime minister? Seems to me there was someone who had a strongly leftist platform and it was too far to the left for the CIA, Kissinger or someone else in Washington who wasn't having it. 

The CIA bombed the Presidential and congress building of Chile in 1972 to smitheereens shortly after Allende was elected. Chile is not some 3rd world shithole either, fairly developed country. There is even very clear film footage of that day when the Chilean airforce bombed the central government complex and Kissinger et al admited soon after they had do it because they didn't want a communist Chile. The government was in session when they bombed it and many of them died including President elect  Allende.  His replacement Pinochet became the un-elected junta chief. And is notorious for human rights violations.

Sorry I don't mean to tell you what your history is about, I thought I had that one about Australia correct and was hoping an Aussie my be able to shed light on this. If I am completely wrong then I apologize.

16 minutes ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

^^Oddysseus 123 if you'll notice,  put that as a question because I don't know,  I can't remember exactly where I read it or what the details were. If that is wrong then perhaps it was a candidate running for office or someone in a position to become the prime minister? Seems to me there was someone who had a strongly leftist platform and it was too far to the left for the CIA, Kissinger or someone else in Washington who wasn't having it. 

The CIA bombed the Presidential and congress building of Chile in 1972 to smitheereens shortly after Allende was elected. Chile is not some 3rd world shithole either, fairly developed country. There is even very clear film footage of that day when the Chilean airforce bombed the central government complex and Kissinger et al admited soon after they had do it because they didn't want a communist Chile. The government was in session when they bombed it and many of them died including President elect  Allende.  His replacement Pinochet became the un-elected junta chief. And is notorious for human rights violations.

Sorry I don't mean to tell you what your history is about, I thought I had that one about Australia correct and was hoping an Aussie my be able to shed light on this. If I am completely wrong then I apologize.

It would certainly liven up a fairly lethargic political scene in OZ if we suddenly discovered that one our PM's had bitten the dust in such a dastardly manner.

Perhaps there are faint echoes here of Harold Holt drowning off Cheviot beach in 1966 or the dismissal of the Whitlam gov't in 1975.

Whilst the original poster may (or may not)have a point regarding the U.S the fact is that somebody has to do the critiquing otherwise change will never occur.

Edited by Odysseus123

^^I read a lot  of so-called conspiracy theory stuff, so perhaps it doesn't get onto your radar. I'm pretty sure there has been significant noise made for years reagrding  CIA/NSA meddling in Australia's sovreign affairs. Seems to me it was in connection with Australian politicians wanting the US Pine Gap base out of Australia. Again, I can't remember exactly.