Thais can watch World Cup on 3 free TV channels

webfact

Thais can watch World Cup on 3 free TV channels

By The Nation

e65e72bff27b396c6993ff5d8fef56e0.jpeg

Thais nationwide will be able to enjoy live broadcast of 64 matches of World Cup on True4U, Amarin TV and Channel 5 said Deputy Prime Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwon on Monday.

Prawit, President of the Sports Authority of Thailand Commission, announced at a press conference at Kesakomon House that Thailand has secured the broadcasting rights of the World Cup football from 14 June to 15 July in Russia this year.

“The government is pleased to announce to Thai people that, through Infront Sports & Media AG, owner of the broadcasting rights in Asia, the agreement with the International Football Federation (FIFA) for the rights to live broadcast the 2018 World Cup tournament has been successfully secured”.

According to the government’s “Must Have” policy, people in Thailand must be able to watch major sporting events including World Cup, Olympics, Asian Games and SEA Games for free. As a result, fans can watch the Cup on three free Channels which are True4U (Channel 24), Amarin TV (Channel 34) and Channel 5.

“Thai people can be sure that they will be able to enjoy watching all of the 64 World Cup matches this year for free,” said Gen Prawit.

Nine private sector organizations: BTS Group Holdings Plc, Thai Beverage Public Company Limited, Charoen Pokphand Group, Gulf Energy Development Plc, Kasikornbank Plc, King Power International Co Ltd, PTT Global Chemical Plc, Bangchak Corporation Plc and Carabao Tawandang Co Ltd financially support the purchase of this World Cup broadcast license in Thailand

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/sports/30344303

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-30
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Hopefully dual language... WC one time where I want "more circus and less bread"

...and no commercial interruptions while goals are made  :cheesy:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Fortunately no live games will be interrupted at 8am and 6pm, as has been the case in the past.

Reminds of when a couple of decades ago one of the Thai channels used to show an English-language movie in the evenings with the English soundtrack available on the radio for those who wanted it. Quite clever, except they would just cut away from it for the news summary on the hour. The usual Thai way of half doing a job.

51 minutes ago, Anak Nakal said:

This is populist.

I happy, but I think not legal?

Prayut go to jail? :smile:

It was Prawit who "engineered" this "deal" for 1.4 billion Baht. But technically it is not illegal (is anything the Junta does?) as he shook down private enterprises to pony up the cash. One assumes those companies will at least get free advertising for the ~ 200 million baht each paid, or that they have a decent explanation to their shareholders for the "sales and marketing" expense?

Also, half expect Article 44 to be used next year when companies claim duress making payments, a la the 900 MHz auction for AIS and TrueMoe H.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Hopefully it's not only "Thais" that can watch! :biggrin:

Yes, I'm afraid it's true only Thai's are allowed to watch. Any non Thai viewers will be fined 500 baht if caught. Big Joke will be on the lookout in 'Operation Thai's only'. Those foreigners wishing to view the world cup will need to take a 'Thainess' test at their local immigration office.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I love the smell of "vote-buying" at World Cup time. it smells like victory. All hail Prawit.

You old cynic "bringing happiness to the people" is what it's all about.

13 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Hopefully dual language...

I know a couple of people (well, one, actually) who got their start in the Thai language by learning to decipher Thai football commentary. It's a great motivator. Not for me, unfortunately, as I find watching football (mostly) really boring; although I loved to play it as a kid.

• Like 1

" I know a couple of people (well, one, actually) who got their start in the Thai language by learning to decipher Thai football commentary. It's a great motivator "

I did that too. Lam nah, wing, ying.... however now I understand Thai well enough to know commentators don't add much. Those for EPL etc in English generally have some observations, anecdotes and so on that add to the game.

My favorite sport is Australian rules football tho I'm American. Right now there is an overlap of soccer and Aus rules. Going from rock em sock em Aus to whiny "he touched me!" roll about on the grass acting class soccer does lead to much eye rolling.

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2018 at 7:51 AM, Emster23 said:

" I know a couple of people (well, one, actually) who got their start in the Thai language by learning to decipher Thai football commentary. It's a great motivator "

I did that too. Lam nah, wing, ying.... however now I understand Thai well enough to know commentators don't add much. Those for EPL etc in English generally have some observations, anecdotes and so on that add to the game.

My favorite sport is Australian rules football tho I'm American. Right now there is an overlap of soccer and Aus rules. Going from rock em sock em Aus to whiny "he touched me!" roll about on the grass acting class soccer does lead to much eye rolling.

You obviously aren't aware how much they have spent on their hair style. That can be ruined with one hard tackle.

• Haha 1