Video: Iron girders propelled like javelins into car in front

webfact

Video: Iron girders propelled like javelins into car in front

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GRjmid1mD1dskgtiPP.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A driver was lucky to escape death or serious injury yesterday after two iron girders came loose on a pick-up and flew into a car in front.

Narongsak, 21, driving the pick-up said he had to brake suddenly at the three way intersection in Bang Len, Nakorn Pathom.

Two of the six meter long girders being carried in a roof section came loose and went into the Ford stopped at the lights driven by 38 year old Ek Reuanbantherng.

Ek said he was very lucky he wasn't killed as the girders pierced his rear window and exited through the roof near his head.

He was on the way from Rangsit to his factory in Kanchanaburi, he said.

Police have charged Narongsak with negligence.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-01

• Like 1

Sometimes tied down with an old piece of cord, and a piece of wood twisted to tighten.

Never drive close to trucks carrying excavators, back-hoes or other  machinery....chains and chain dogs are almost never used here...steel tracks on steel truck beds!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

They're lengths of RHS (Rectangular Hollow Section) terms used within the metalworking industry.

There's also CHS (Circular Hollow Section) and SHS (Square Hollow Section)

Girders "propelled" like "javelins". At least I learned another English word for spear. Silly headline.

Steel bars with propeller... silly.

Edited by maximillian
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

LOL...a reporter groping for a bit of sensationalism, as everyone has pointed out that they are RHS and not girders I will throw in "iron"....LOL...are you sure? They don't use much iron nowadays...LOL...you gotta admire the journalistic accuracy

What if?...  

The black sonteaw had 'not' encountered the sudden stop there, but further along where he hypothetically stops at a red light?  - and easy decapitates multiple motorcyclists in the crosstraffic in the intersection! 

5 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The bigger metal shops usually put a lot of effort into tying lengths of metal down whenever I have picked up a load. Local shop or self loaded stuff is a different issue though. Amazingly few people know how to secure a load here. I have had to reconfigure a few.

PS, girders are main support sections of buildings and such. The objects in the photo are simply lengths of tubing.

They are RHS (rectangular hollow section)

5 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The bigger metal shops usually put a lot of effort into tying lengths of metal down whenever I have picked up a load. Local shop or self loaded stuff is a different issue though. Amazingly few people know how to secure a load here. I have had to reconfigure a few.

PS, girders are main support sections of buildings and such. The objects in the photo are simply lengths of tubing.

A bit of poetic licence needed for Thai journalists.

As for securing a load correctly, I find this amazing.    I'd be even more amazed if the amateur loaders ensured that a visible flag/cloth was attached to any bits hanging out the rear.