End of a man's dreams at 22 - because female pick-up driver went through a red light

webfact

2 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

What is the moron laughing about at the end of the video ? A picture tells a story don't it.

it's a cultural misunderstanding

some Thais tend to smile and laugh when feeling uneasy and don't know what emotion to show.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

With waiting times of 180,240 or more seconds for the next green phase I have an understanding why many thais  don't brake but accelerate at a junctions,besides that green light for you does not mean you can just drive off,you still have to look right or left if the junction is free,it's not wise to drive off at green light without being alerted about traffic from right or left. RIP young man

Am I to understand that fault lies mainly with people obeying a green light and that more should be done to make accommodations for those who speed and run red lights. Good survival tactics but no cure. United States has 350% less death per 100K because of;

-active police presents

-hefty fines and imprisonment 

-expensive litigation

-education

No reason not to do the same here. The program more than pays for itself

8 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Am I to understand that fault lies mainly with people obeying a green light and that more should be done to make accommodations for those who speed and run red lights. Good survival tactics but no cure. United States has 350% less death per 100K because of;

-active police presents

-hefty fines and imprisonment 

-expensive litigation

-education

No reason not to do the same here. The program more than pays for itself

expensive litigation is certainly not a thing we need here or anywhere else for that matter, ok for the rest.

the west however has gone nuts regarding punishment for some offenses, especially for speeding and alcohol - as if the accidents terminated life that would otherwise be eternal. people forget that humans don't live forever.

Edited by manarak
  • Confused 1

I was stopped at a red light next a policeman on a motorcycle in Hua Hin when two scooters pulled up and then kept going straight through the red light l looked at the copper and he had no interest in going after them, only in Thailand

• Like 1

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

Lengthy prison sentence? Won't happen. It will be a token fine, a couple of wais, perhaps some compensation to the victim's family and that will be it.

You forgot joining a monastery for a month.  Then all will be good.  The dead kid's ghost will visit her in a dream and tell her to stop flagellating herself, he's happy where he is.

Edited by ChidlomDweller

Even the most skilful drivers and thier passengers lives are at the mercy of 

these common and unexplainable criminal acts of stupidity on Thailands roads .

They defy all logic and reasoning ,  l drive with this knowledge , knowing full well thats no guarantee to my safety.

A very sad state of affairs 

R.I.P  Young man , taken to soon.

• Like 2

there is no real penalty for running red lights, the thai's do it all the time! and as for her feeling bad? it looks like her male friend is copping a free feel and smiling! just another day in thailand on their killer roads!

1 minute ago, PEE TEE said:

From what i see on the roads i'm surprised this doesn't happen more . it will only get worst as more buy cars and pickups without any knowledge of driving .

PEE TEE ,  My lady obtained a car license over a period of 6 weeks while l was back in Ausralia ,when l returned we went for a drive of around sixty kilometres on a secondary road , l said , sweetheart , you would need to attend a defensive driving course , and you would still be at risk ,she replied, yes l many fry ,l not want drive now ,that made me happy!.

Until the BIB start getting serious this kind of carnage will continue as Thai drivers (not all)

will continue to try to beat the red lights at all costs.

This driver should be charged with manslaughter if witnessed

While running a red light is not to be excused, what has always amazed me is how traffic in the opposite direction, especially motorbike traffic, will dart out into the intersection to get a jump on their green light. You'd think they'd learn by now that there will always be a red light runner flying through the intersection, and the waiting traffic should take more precaution to make sure the way is clear before venturing into the intersection. We don't know if that was the case in the incident, but it very well could have been.

Lets all hope she gets another shock when sentenced to jail time for manslaughter!!!

Jumping a red light & killing someone is exactly that in my book.

It's about time a stop was put to this lunacy with a harsh sentence handed down to killers on the road!

9 hours ago, meatboy said:

what can one say,this is an every day occurrence,young thai KILLED while out on his bike.

but this was no ordinary thai,he worked every day to keep his mum and dad,more than likely had to pay for his bike aswell,and just see what this imbecile does to him.crocodile tears from this piece of garbage with 50YRS.IN JAIL would be a blessing.

and banned from driving FOR LIFE

get the message over to these thai drivers

10 hours ago, rkidlad said:

If true, a nice lengthy prison sentence. Send a message loud and clear - a red light is not a suggestion!

"a red light is not a suggestion!"  I must admit, I really like that. It should be sign-posted in Thai at all traffic lights. It's a great slogan. 

2 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

"a red light is not a suggestion!"  I must admit, I really like that. It should be sign-posted in Thai at all traffic lights. It's a great slogan. 

Let's elaborate.  A red light is not a suggestion, it's an order.

1 minute ago, Unsane said:

Let's elaborate.  A red light is not a suggestion, it's an order.

Having once been hit by a taxi running a red light in BKK, I agree with your sentiment (100 percent) but I like the first one better. I think it might make the motorist in question stop and think a little. Although I don't know if will sound as good in Thai as it does in English. Member rkidlad could probably land a job in advertising or PR. That was inspired. 

21 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Having once been hit by a taxi running a red light in BKK, I agree with your sentiment (100 percent) but I like the first one better. I think it might make the motorist in question stop and think a little. Although I don't know if will sound as good in Thai as it does in English. Member rkidlad could probably land a job in advertising or PR. That was inspired. 

It won't but nice idea.  LOS has tried it all, including giant graphics of RTAs alongside main roads but still hasn't worked its magic.

Only a driving test with any substance and consistent preventative measures by the BIB will ultimately bring the death toll down.  Daft roadside tea money-making exercises just wont ever cut it.

13 minutes ago, Robsweblinks said:

Can't believe the Thai drivers here. You can see this happening every time you drive. last night I had 8 cars turn right in front of me through red light. I even nudged foreward after the first 4. So stupid 

I have adopted a new policy in LOS after a close experience at the end of the motorway turning right into Pattaya, if at all possible do NOT be at the front of traffic lights, or wait for all the motorcyclists to clear the path and pull away a bit late, better to be honked at than hammed over.

• Like 1