Bank of Thailand reveal what Thais keep in their savings accounts - and it's not much

On 5/10/2018 at 6:50 PM, SoilSpoil said:

Everyone should have at least 1 million baht in liquid form in case of emergencies. For me its my visa requirements and reserve for medical expenses that make me a 1% according to this (?) research. 

Quite.

12 hours ago, Nsp64 said:

What's the point of this post, other than a bit of showing off.

What I have is chump change compared to her acquaintances who started off with very little.  They are probably smarter and more ambitious than me. 

On 5/10/2018 at 6:50 PM, SoilSpoil said:

Everyone should have at least 1 million baht in liquid form in case of emergencies. For me its my visa requirements and reserve for medical expenses that make me a 1% according to this (?) research. 

When the mandatory health insurance comes in you will be forced to give your money to an insurance company, then if your sick you won't have the money for medical expences

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Household debt in Thailand is the same and in many cases a lot worse than in the West. Official figures are 70% of GDP but reality, when off the books loans are factored in, is much, much higher. And Thailand has far more off the books and illegal loans to loan-sharks etc. than the West.

Was trying to remember when I wrote this? altimeters moment! Looking at date thread has resurrected after a year, understand now, usually barely remember what I said or did yesterday ????

• Like 1

I don't think I'm bragging, what I have is not very much at all. 

I'm not starving, but I'm not wealthy either. If you think my pre-tax cash is super wealthy, you might be barely surviving yourself, and I'm sorry for you if that is the case. 

My point is that extra savings needs to be invested or else this government or any government will inflate your money until it is worthless if you just bank it. A lot of people around the world don't understand this simple concept. 

Edited by ninjanate