Ghost Condo Projects

DragonQuest

59 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

There are several topics about this building in here. Search for them and all the gory details (well, some of them) will be revealed.

I think the total time from when the project was originally launched must indeed be getting on for 10 years by now.

Basically the original developer went bust, the project was taken over and relaunched, the building was redesigned in a way that some say conflicts with the original building permit and other laws, and when it was finally built it gained some extra floors. There are also questions about encroachment onto public land and roads, the ratio of condo units to hotel units, the percentage of green space, and the distance to the shoreline.

All in all, one big can of worms.

Plus of course it ruins the view from Buddha Hill which i think prompted many of the complaints (after it was built).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:49 AM, Henryford said:

Plus of course it ruins the view from Buddha Hill which i think prompted many of the complaints (after it was built).

That, IMO, was THE reason for the subsequent uproar, and the ultimate stoppage. The other reasons were just used to stop the project. Had it been built where it didn't obstruct the view, it would have been completed long ago.

I look forward to the day it has to be demolished because the structure has deteriorated beyond salvage.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I assume that you are a construction expert  and have examined the structure?

In soi 5 second road there has been a similar construction, which had been standing like this for almost 10 years, before it was continued and is now considered an upmarket condominium.

and the Hopewell pillars have been standing since the 1980s, but would anyone use them now?

I expect the Waterside fiasco to still be in the same stage of non construction in 20 years time, which would make it about the same age as the famous big ghost building in Bkk is now.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That, IMO, was THE reason for the subsequent uproar, and the ultimate stoppage. The other reasons were just used to stop the project. Had it been built where it didn't obstruct the view, it would have been completed long ago.

I look forward to the day it has to be demolished because the structure has deteriorated beyond salvage.

As a mechanical engineer, I can't see how it can be salvaged after several years  of open exposure to the elements, rain, salt spray, etc.  The infrastructure inside as well as structural degradation has to be pretty bad.  And it sure does ruin the view from almost any where.  Wouldn't take much of a royal edict, religious complaint to put some weight behind the push to tear it down?

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

As a mechanical engineer, I can't see how it can be salvaged after several years  of open exposure to the elements, rain, salt spray, etc.  The infrastructure inside as well as structural degradation has to be pretty bad.  And it sure does ruin the view from almost any where.  Wouldn't take much of a royal edict, religious complaint to put some weight behind the push to tear it down?

They still haven't demolished the Hopewell structures, so I can't see anything being done about Waterfront. Legally, it's in limbo, so nothing will be done till that's sorted and I doubt the people that could do something about it will, TiT.

I'd like them to demolish the part that obstructs the view, and leave the rest as a warning to greedy people. There is something so satisfying to me about seeing such a disaster in plain view that shouts "this is what happens when you try to stuff up things the Thai people treasure".

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Couple of weeks ago, and I saw them still there alongside the railway.

Where alongside the railway? on the road heading to Don Mueang the old hopewell stumps have been removed and the new red line train are being constructed in its place

Where alongside the railway? on the road heading to Don Mueang the old hopewell stumps have been removed and the new red line train are being constructed in its place
I wonder if they ever paid the hopewell company ? I thought the reason they stood there all these years was the pillars couldn't be removed as they are property of the company so they either had to be paid for or they could sue....but possibly article 44 took care of that ?

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:09 PM, johng said:
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, digbeth said:

I wonder if they ever paid the hopewell company ? I thought the reason they stood there all these years was the pillars couldn't be removed as they are property of the company so they either had to be paid for or they could sue....but possibly article 44 took care of that ?

Could be, but I assume it's because it costs a lot of money to remove them.

The pillars still stand at Don Muang railway station. 

On 5/22/2018 at 1:07 PM, altcar bob said:

The Trust, high rise opp Bangkok hospital,is an amazing empty high rise, so is Pattaya Posh,lights on at night time,3 at rear  two in front,constantly

So what is the story behind Pattaya Posh (next to North Pattaya bus station)? Looks finished to me?

They will turn it into a tourist attraction. Just give it some paint and laser lights . Then maybe you can do bungy jumping from the top. 

Well at least it got off the ground...

On project that I know of (Soi5/second road, Jomtien) apart from some piles being placed in the ground has gone no further in 12 years. 

Also another (the plot south of Jomtien Beach Condominium)...

Well at least it got off the ground...

On project that I know of (Soi5/second road, Jomtien) apart from some piles being placed in the ground has gone no further in 12 years. 

Ahh yes the tallest tower in Thailand.

They even removed the cement mixing plant eventually.

[emoji14] [emoji1]

P_20180326_093235.jpeg.660773977588f4a4b529c6cfce6f7f75.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1