Motorbike tires slippery!

Hummin

I have experienced my tires are slippery after I have them cleaned at some random wasthing stalls, but last now I havent driven the bike to much and often. The tires is original from Honda, 5 500 km 6 months old (6 months since I bought the bike) still look good, but Im wondering if the rubber harden up and get more slippery if you do not drive often enough? 

It was a good wake up call I had yesterday! 

Have you checked the date on the side tire wall?  They may look ok but could be out of date, so to speak, which can cause handling issues.  

I was so a pair of 5-year-old Pirelli MT60s, and being my usual dealer I took it for granted they'd be fine.  I was off the bike in no time. 

Another issue is unsuitable cleaner being used to polish the tires.

first two numbers are the month, second is the the year.

tire-expiration-date-code-sidewall (1).webp

Edited by BBJ
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tip, I did not even think about a new bike could have old tires on them. And the cleaners Im very aware of using some tire cleaning products, and thank god for have driven bikes on ice before. 

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Thanks for the tip, I did not even think about a new bike could have old tires on them. And the cleaners Im very aware of using some tire cleaning products, and thank god for have driven bikes on ice before. 

What make are they?  If the year is good and not the fault of a cleaning solution, the only other thing is pressure, and to make sure they have been mounted in the proper rotation.

Edited by BBJ

38 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Tires date 020517

Im going to check the airpressure one more time, thanks, and clean the tires with dishwater soap? 

When my Mrs brings her scoot back from a clean/polish up, it looks good I have to say but one of my first few minute jobs is put on centre stand, take out about 20 psi from tyres ( it does vary ) also spin the tyres with wet emery paper over the road thread area. ?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Tires date 020517

Im going to check the airpressure one more time, thanks, and clean the tires with dishwater soap? 

If they are those Road Winners or similar that Honda used to use I would bin them and get something a bit better like Michelin or Pirelli.

In case you have got something contaminating them, get som washing up liquid watered down and one of those green Scotchbrite abrasive dishwashing pads and go over the entire tyre with that making sure you really scrub them well. Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1