Newly elected Future Forward leader Thanathorn vows to dump 2017 charter

webfact

Newly elected Future Forward leader Thanathorn vows to dump 2017 charter

By WASAMON AUDJARINT 
THE NATION

4c2abaea0bc371d8ef529dfb229ccc53.jpeg

THANATHORN Juangroongru-angkit was predictably chosen yesterday to be the leader of the Future Forward Party, which he co-founded with the agenda of not only becoming the prime minister but also dumping the current, junta-written 2017 Constitution.

The scion of the Thai Summit Group won 473 votes with one abstention during the party’s first official meeting, attended by more than 700 founding members from all provinces nationwide and a couple of thousand people at Thammasat University’s gymnasium hall.

Voting members raised their hands to approve the party’s name, logo, policies as well its executive board. Piyabutr Saengkanokkul, another co-founder and a former campaigner to amend the lese majeste law, was elected secretary-general.

f2c8d6173e21bd25ebd44b2a2a73fd58.jpeg

The four party deputies were Lt-General Pongsakorn Rodchompoo, who was removed as deputy secretary-general of the National Security Council by an Article 44 order in 2015, the former chairman of Amnesty International Thailand, Chamnan Chanruang, education advocate Kunthida Rungruengkiat and IT expert Ronnawit Lorlertsoonthorn.

The board also includes representatives from the labour sector, young generation from the IT sector as well as representatives from all regions of Thailand.

The hashtag #futureforwardparty showed that social media users appeared to be pleased with the choice of party officials.

“I just feel that [the party] is a hotspot of leftist, front-row intellectuals,” tweeted a Twitter user @mizzphor.

The party aims to raise Bt350 million to fund its campaigning ahead of the election and will start accepting new members in August, when it is expected to be fully endorsed by the Election Commission.

After the voting, the party meeting made a presentation on how Thailand had been locked up in a decade of political conflicts with a rap singer moaning about the junta government.

Thanathorn reiterated that while the party was still barred from spelling out its national policies under current law, it would stick to its goal of dumping the current charter, which he said only “stuck Thai politics in the same, old loop”.

35c74c58d519d7b3a0376396dbfce887.jpeg

“We all know that fixing this charter is hardly possible, topped by the fact that any amendment has to be approved by junta-appointed senators,” Piyabutr told a press conference. 

“We have to campaign for a nationwide consensus that the 2017 charter cannot go any further. We will also have to revoke its Article 279 that empowers the current junta to overrule all laws,” the law expert continued.

He was referring to how PM General Prayut Chan-o-cha has been granted absolute power by Article 44 of the defunct, interim 2014 charter. Article 279 still empowers the Prayut-headed National Council for Peace and Order with such a power until the NCPO becomes defunct.

aa677acb957d817c1f5f1aa4a6478ce7.jpeg

The party’s agenda is also to call for the NCPO to revoke all its orders that obstruct the movements of political parties to “ensure freedom of expression and a free and fair election”, he said.

This will also ultimately include an amnesty for all political prisoners under the NCPO era once the party gains power, Thanathorn added.

“The sooner the election is held, the better it would be for the country and for the NCPO itself,” Thanathorn said. “Because the NCPO will only see its ratings decline continuously the longer it stays in power.”

He added that he would attend the NCPO’s planned meeting with political parties next month but only on the condition that the meeting is broadcast live.

YOUR SAY

The Nation’s Rachanon Charoonsak talks to supporters who attended the Future Forward Party convention yesterday on why they are supporting the new party of autoparts billionaire Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit.

543bff2d8db4ad5a4bc0dd67e20f790e.jpeg

Prasop Choke, 40, from Nan province, a former supporter of the Democrat Party 

“I like the “Unlock, Reconstruct, and Open an Opportunity” concept of the party. 

“I want the party to succeed, as it wants to ensure that future generations don’t face what we had to face.

“I want the party to help everyone have access to all resources equally.”

6e60c21e770c9ed7dbb9ab5ca98237b1.jpeg

Mana Waitip, a business owner from Nakhon Ratchasima province 

“I like the fact that this political party engages people from the new generation, does not support dictatorship, and wants to create a society where everyone is equal. At least this party will show the world that most Thai people do not like the National Council for Peace and Order.”

974e59f5c5387b6da6833bac50dfb908.jpeg

Pantip Sombatpiam, a teacher from Pathum Thani province, a former supporter of the Pheu Thai Party

“I like the party’s policy for disabled people and how the party has brought all types of people together.”

1725c9011c422f45288557e9589e8f39.jpeg

Chanathip Eunjongdee, 23 yearold Thammasat University student, from Bangkok. He has never voted for any party.

“I’m interested in seeing reforms in Thailand’s education system and the equal distribution of power. I’m not sure if this party can solve the current problems but at least we get to choose ourselves. So if it doesn’t work, we just have to choose a new party.”

092cd7daf48deb40c183a5c9f604894d.jpeg

Chisanupong Aumsri, a 20yearold student from Bangkok. He has never voted for any party.

“I like this party because it is a new type of political party where citizens are fully involved and engaged in its activities. 

“I expect the party to restructure the way things are currently and distribute power equally.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30346389

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-28

55 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Prediction:  If FFP gathers momentum the dinosaur element will start arguing Thanatorn is Thaksin lite, a proxy to sweep up the urban middle class while PTP takes care of the rural masses.

Agree, the new guy has already said he has no affiliation to thaksin however there is an old photo, quite a few years back, in the media with thaksin in the foreground with others and the new guy appearing to walk past in the background.

My Thai adult son (politically aware) says this old pic got lots of comments when it appeared and 'convinced' many that the new guy is connected to thaksin.

If true then he needs to really convince doubters that there is no connection.

I also hope he and his party are much better than the dinosaurs at communications, regular communications and actively listening to the electorate, hopefully including live discussions on TV, live facebook or whatever. And I hope he features real details of strong and broad reform of education. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

I am not well up on Thai politics and I've been reading a bit about it in various places about recent history. I'm really confused as to how all this works. I read that there have been loads of these "coups" over the last decade or so, where the army steal the country at gunpoint and give it back later on, sometimes after the people rise up and demand it.

What puzzles me is this, in my country the armed services, army, navy, air-force are required to swear loyalty to the Queen, so any coup would be regarded as a mutiny and the people doing it would automatically be charged as traitors and imprisoned for treason once the country went back to civilian rule. I believe the USA is the same.  Other countries are even more ruthless, Turkey was in the news a while back for ruthlessly hunting down those who tried a coup, previously Egypt was unforgiving of a previous government too.

What puzzles me is that while it seems de rigeur to prosecute former Prime Ministers here, from what I have gleaned there have been a few including the last one, Yingluck and her brother before, and I make no comment about the truth or otherwise of the charges. What astonishes me is how after every coup the coup leaders are not imprisoned for treason. How does that work? Don't the military here also have to swear allegiance to the King or the country? How do they survive the aftermath of a coup when the country becomes governed by an elected government? Nothing I read suggests any form of censure let alone punishment for breaking the Oath of Allegiance or whatever. 

Can someone who understands the system here explain what happens? Am I missing something? Sorry to express ignorance.

Are you the next pen name of el?

Ah, so any new Government would have a massive job on it's hands to overturn that (corrupt?) establishment first if it sought real reform?

So the men with guns would be unlikely to support THAT! Another coup would come then?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

Ah, so any new Government would have a massive job on it's hands to overturn that (corrupt?) establishment first if it sought real reform?

So the men with guns would be unlikely to support THAT! Another coup would come then?

No excuse for inaction though, if that's the way of it (frightened of another coup), then stay at home and take up knitting. The only way to stop the cycle of coups is to make it clear that draconian punishment follows as night follows day, and that should apply as much to the people at the top of the Thai pyramid as it does to those at the bottom.

Can you imagine what would happen if Trump sponsored a coup to maintain his office? What would happen in America or any other civilised country must now happen in Thailand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

No excuse for inaction though, if that's the way of it (frightened of another coup), then stay at home and take up knitting. The only way to stop the cycle of coups is to make it clear that draconian punishment follows as night follows day, and that should apply as much to the people at the top of the Thai pyramid as it does to those at the bottom.

Can you imagine what would happen if Trump sponsored a coup to maintain his office? What would happen in America or any other civilised country must now happen in Thailand.

Hmmm....

Much as I like your posts KiwiKiwi you are surely missing something here...something about the apex...

Monsieur le Trump is (i guess) at the apex but General Prayuth is not.