Chiang Mai to Bangkok on scooter

ttkeric

1 hour ago, ttkeric said:

It's going to be 1,400ish kilometres if Google is accurate. 

1400 km?

How did you get this number?

The distance for a car ride is less than 700.

You don't mean return?

1400 takes you to Phuket.

Only 700, still you should get a good soothing cream for your butt :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ

D'oh! Ha ha, don't remember the last time a topic posted here on TV had every respondent arrive at such an overwhelming consensus. CM to BKK on a bike.... doable but don't do it! 

Oh well, return flights can be had for 1,600 Baht so I'll be nuts to consider any other alternative. 

Cheers, mates! 

• Like 1

Go for it....I enjoy these sort of trekes myself and you enjoy every second of your journey...remembering....."There are only two choices in life, play it safe, or take a chance. Pulling back because of fear will lightly make one feel worse" 

• Like 1

My advice would be take your time and do back roads, I have done NongKhai to ChiangMai in one day on a Honda Wave 100 with two people, have also been from the furthest Southern point in Laos to the Furthest North. I moved up to a Honda Phantom 200 and rode that to ChiangMai from NongKhai last year, the 200 was too slow on the big straight highways for me, but the smaller roads and especially the mountain roads were fun.

A lot depends on your temperament and what you like.

15 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

1400 km?

How did you get this number?

The distance for a car ride is less than 700.

You don't mean return?

1400 takes you to Phuket.

Only 700, still you should get a good soothing cream for your butt :biggrin:

And do not forget that scooters are not permitted on some tollway and/or  elevated highway around Bangkok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

My advice would be take your time and do back roads, I have done NongKhai to ChiangMai in one day on a Honda Wave 100 with two people, have also been from the furthest Southern point in Laos to the Furthest North. I moved up to a Honda Phantom 200 and rode that to ChiangMai from NongKhai last year, the 200 was too slow on the big straight highways for me, but the smaller roads and especially the mountain roads were fun.

A lot depends on your temperament and what you like.

Kudos NK - CM on a Wave in a day!

Years ago I rode my Guzzi UT-NK to CM in a day and got as far as Lampang - i'd had enough!

Return journey a few days later, stopped in Uttaradit for the night - more pleasant, relaxed ride.

Concur - try and avoid main highways/motorways for a more enjoyable relaxed ride.

To the OP - if it's on your bucket list - do it. Just take twice as long to get there and back, don't rush it.

Edited by thaiguzzi

1 hour ago, cnx355 said:

And do not forget that scooters are not permitted on some tollway and/or  elevated highway around Bangkok.

Not just scooters, even real bikes, ridiculous banning bikes over 250cc.

• Like 1

how you want to do it in 8 hours? you need at least 20 h one way, a Yamaha Fino, what do you think is your avarage speed? As clearly seen you are not prepared for this trip, so you are a danger for the rest of the traffic. And your Fino will maybe not survive, scooters are not built for driving full power over such a long time and distance. 

10 minutes ago, chickenrunCM said:

how you want to do it in 8 hours? you need at least 20 h one way, a Yamaha Fino, what do you think is your avarage speed?

Even in a car I am nervous wrack after 600 to 700 km.

On a scooter. Hell no!

• Like 1