Chiang Mai to Bangkok on scooter

ttkeric

Let my offer another idea...........  Thais send Motorbikes on busses and ride the bus with them.......... A Thai friend dent his bike from Pattaya to Udon for 1500 baht........

Think about that for the last half of the first part or the whole return...........

Your backside will love you for it........

19 hours ago, jimmyyy said:

I had thought of Riding from Sarahkam to Pattaya, then i said lets try a smaller trip like to Korat, my butt started hurting half way and i turned around, never again.  i was on a PCX 150 2017 model. 

I modified the seat on my PCX and rode from Pattaya to Nong Khai in a day no issues. If you are not comfortable riding is not much fun.

I also rode up to Phongsali in north Laos and back on the PCX, great fun.

Edited by chrissables

Reason?

Death Wish, or simple masochism.

I'm glad you changed your mind!

I don't want to see photos of your crushed bike on TVF.

Frankly, a ride from Chaam to Thayang IO via Phetkasem Road on my 125cc Click is enough for me, and I don't do that if my GF's car is available.

Way too many IOV (Idiots On/In Vehicles) on the main highways to suit me.

Just my opinion of course. "Up to you" as they so blithely say here.

In any case, best of luck!

• Like 1

I've lurked here for years without posting but I had to log in (do the whole 'forgot password' thing) just to say two things:

1. it really is good to see so many expressions of sincere concern here ... it warms the heart.  

2. Please don't do this 'bucket' thing. I get the 'adventure' and the efficiency of just doing it yourself, but just don't. Really. When I lived in San Francisco and was offered a job across the bay, I didn't want to buy a car so I bought a top of the line freeway legal Yamaha scooter. It was the Mercedes Benz of scooters and a dream to ride on the freeway ... except for other drivers who turned it into a daily nightmare. Drivers could not see me, even though I wore garishly bright colors. They would enter my lane barely ahead of me and never even know I was there ... only split second defensive driving, on too many occasions to count, account for me being here to tell you not to do this. In slow moving traffic, they would bump into me from behind ... then the shocked horrified face which would inevitably and quickly turn into a "<deleted> are you doing here?" look.  And the Mack trucks ... I still cringe when passing them, even in car. It's brutal ... and some of them will mess with you cuz they're bored ... speeding up and slowing down so that you can't get away from them. It's exhausting ... and my daily commute was only 2 hours round trip (wilderness hiker ... in good shape with great stamina). You're looking at 12-14 hours (I betcha) in conditions that are very far from the relatively polite and civilized S.F. Bay Area driving milieu. Be safe.   /rant   

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I see no problem with the journey as such. I do however question the timetable. There shouldn't be one.  You set off from Chiang Mai and arrive in Bangkok whenever you do. 2 days min. Google says average is 80 kph I would think on a scooter more like 60-65 average. Don't forget you will be stopping more often for fuel and avoiding major highways.plus unless you are familiar with minor roads in north BKK, don't arrive in the dark.  Keep the bucket list item for alter,  not if you have an appointment soon after arriving. 

Forget all the other nay sayers. They don't have the personality, stamina and single-mindedness that you do. They are glass half empty kind of people. Best to be avoided.

It’s not a case of being glass half empty but being sensible, perhaps you don’t worry about your wellbeing but I certainly do, I see motor cycle accidents almost daily and several fatalities.

Driving motor cycles in Thailand isn’t like in the west and it doesn’t matter how careful you drive you are at risk.

But at the end of the day it’s your life and funerals here are relatively cheap.

Do not let them put you off guess what not ever ride is CM to Mai Hong Song. Take at least 2 days Cm to Ploke and then Ploke to Bangkok. Take the 106 out of Chiang Mai to Thung on highway 1 then Thung to ploke on the 1048 and the 12 highway. Spend the night in Ploke then up early down to Nakhon Sawan then the 1 highway into Bangkok. Just no way around after a bit into Bangkok you will be on the frontage road pass Don Mueang and into the city. message me if you like I have made this trip once fro Bangkok to Chiang Mai but also have ridden to Hau Hin from CM and to Kanchinaburi half a dozen times on a PCX. All possible if you have the will and the guys to try it, and yes your ass will hurt as well as the rest of your body. As many kilometers I rode it still hurt but not as much. Baby power is a help.

Interesting choice of words - 'Bucket List'.  Hope it doesn't become an unfinished item on the list, due to being on the list.  I used to ride Bangkok - Pattaya by 1,000 cc bike, a mere 150 'ish Klicks and it would take twice as long as by car - not allowed on toll ways, sore arse so stop 3 times, hot, sweaty, uncomfortable, dangerous and extremely knackering as the concentration level is off the charts, or you die.  I'd take at least two days each way by decent sized bike, never on a small one; suicidal to try and do it in a day.

13 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I see no problem with the journey as such. I do however question the timetable. There shouldn't be one.  You set off from Chiang Mai and arrive in Bangkok whenever you do. 2 days min. Google says average is 80 kph I would think on a scooter more like 60-65 average. Don't forget you will be stopping more often for fuel and avoiding major highways.plus unless you are familiar with minor roads in north BKK, don't arrive in the dark.  Keep the bucket list item for later  not if you have an appointment soon after arriving. 

Forget all the other nay sayers. They don't have the personality, stamina and single-mindedness that you do. They are glass half empty kind of people. Best to be avoided.

100 per cent with you Neal a great ride if you have the guts and the mental will to do it.

• Like 1

Sensible is as sensible does.  Seems that people who lack that something special always use words that end in "ible"  If one is a Red Dwarf fan.

Will your epitaph be "here lies "xxx" always did things that were sensible"? 

I take precautions when I do stuff it would be stupid not to. But that doesn't mean I would put off a motorcycle ride "just in case" . It is just not appropriate to consider doing it in one day. Although I have done Loei to Bangkok with a small group but that is not quite so far? 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Concur with all the above posters.

I don't even enjoy riding 700 kms in a day anymore on my Guzzi in my avatar! And that is a bike built for comfort and distance...

Half that ie 350 kms in a day is about right - no stress - nice and relaxing.

Christ, i'm getting old.....

I have to admit that for distance i prefer my car over my bike. 

I have done much further rides than this. I drove from Phetchaburi to Pai (and back 3 weeks later) with very little stops (food, gas, a little nap under the sala)

it's not that dangerous, just wear a helmet and take your time.. you will likely feel like falling asleep after 10+ hours.. if that happens just stop for a while at some 7eleven/gas station, that sorted me out.

also did a tour of issan before heading to chiang rai and drove straight from chiang rai back to Phetchaburi after

the worst is the bottom is going to be hurt and you won't get to SEE many things.. unless you want to stop everywhere or make detours..

it sounds like an adventure but it's just driving on the side of highways at like 80 km/h (Fino?) it's just roads and roads and roads.

even on my Honda Wave when I was getting close I was wringing the throttle and going over 100 just to get it over with

it reminds me of that time that I told one of the local guy i know that I was going to Kanchanaburi / Myanmar border to get my visa run,

he asked me "where will you sleep?".. I said "sleep? I will be back the same day!" to which he replied "IMPOSSIBLE!"

the next day, I was on the beach at about 1 PM when he came and asked me why I didn't go to Myanmar and I told him "I already went this morning". I had left around 4am, was done with it at 9, back on the beach at 12:30pm.

Had a friend ride from Phuket to CHIANG Rai and back on a scooter, didn't seem to think it was that much of a big deal......but he is young.

I say go for it, but not in one day....that puts to much pressure on you to get there that day. Why not do it over two days and relax a bit. And having ridden from Phuket to Cambodia via Petchabun and back, the biggest issue was the heat as there isn't any shade and many times around a 100 degrees, but it was May. The absolutely worst thing that could happen is you could die...but if that happens you won't care anyway.....actually if you got severely injured it would be worse. But life is short anyway, and if it's on your bucket list....Do It!

• Like 1

dear OP, time to buy a new bucket!

fly or take the train.  attend your meeting.

why combine with a long (14 hours each way), boring (highway all same-same), rushed (must....get....to....meeting), dangerous (cheeze whiz! another truckie playing video games!) scooter ride?

wanna ride your scooter?  take the back roads to kanchaniburi and back, or tour the golden triangle. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ttkeric said:

D'oh! Ha ha, don't remember the last time a topic posted here on TV had every respondent arrive at such an overwhelming consensus. CM to BKK on a bike.... doable but don't do it! 

Oh well, return flights can be had for 1,600 Baht so I'll be nuts to consider any other alternative. 

Cheers, mates! 

Well, if you have it on your bucket list; why not? You'll find many posters here will tell you any riding bikes in Thailand is stupid. Yes, it is dangerous, but getting out of bed in the morning is potentially dangerous. As others have said, I would give it two days at least to make the trip. Be honest with yourself; if you have gone a couple hundred klicks and it starts to lose its glamor; find a place for your bike--or mail it back to CM--and take public transport to BKK for your meeting.

There are scooter and small motorbike clubs all over Thailand. Contact them in CM. They may have some tips.

8 minutes ago, maximillian said:

If you are an experienced motorbike rider then better rent a big bike.

That way you can half the time on the road and have some fun.

A small scooter for such a distance is boring, is tiresome, is dangerous, is crazy and no fun.

I will disagree with you on that, rode to Surin from CM on one trip. This kid on another PCX followed me to the hotel when I stopped and got off he ask me,did you ride all the way from CM and I said yes for a few seconds I was a GOD in his eyes he could not believe it. We had a nice chat and his parting words were if you have any problem while you are here call me and he gave me his number. Really nice kid. You get different things on different trips at least I have

You are never gonna make Chiang Mai bkk Chiang Mai in a day,did Chiang Mai to bkk on a big bike two weeks ago,left Chiang Mai 7:30 am got stuck with bike problems for 3 hours and arrived bkk 8:30 pm,this was hitting speeds up to 150/160km/r was absolutely shattered as you get near Ayutthaya the roads are filled with lorry’s sand and dust everywhere,,,,the roads also get long straight and boring at times,back roads and more time is the way to go.

• Like 1

one more consideration for the bucket people.....

no one will be looking out for you but you.

as a motorcycle rider you are near the bottom of the respect pile.

scooter riders?  they don't get no respect.

so think carefully, you really wanna ride 12 hours or so, and arrive

in bangkok physically tired and mentally exhausted....during the

tail end of rush hour as darkness covers the land?

after that amount of time in the saddle, what sort of reaction time

you think you'll have?

• Thanks 1

ttkeric - I would suggest that the consensus of opinion  is DON'T DO IT!

P.S. Gotta death wish? :sad: 60+ killed everyday on Thai roads, most being motorcyclists, I understand.

Edited by lvr181
Spelling correction