Accident & insurance

JaiLai

Mate was knocked off his bike by a mini bus driver jumping a red light.

Mini bus driver was insured and took blame.

Insurance will only pay 43k, bike worth at least double that, how to proceed?

- can you contest amount offered

- what happens when the 43k offered is reached and bike not complete

- anyone had similar situation?

His bike was a retro Vespa so book price is hard to determine...

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Is the bike a total write-off? Then you'll have to determine the value and might need to resort to a professional third party for that. If there are any comparable bikes for sale online, then show them how much they are going for. If it can be repaired then I would just let some official dealer do their best and let the insurance foot the bill.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

As said is it a write-off.

The below leads me to not be sure if it's a write-off, sounds like they offered a lump sum of 43k for repairs and he wonders what if the 43k is not enough to repair it.

- what happens when the 43k offered is reached and bike not complete

• Like 1

Ok I am the person this thread is about.

The total estimate for repairs was 43K and they have said they will pay my directly 23K to fix my scooter. 

I have since found out that some thai friends of friends have received 70% of full price m, so this sounds like they are “trying it on” ?

Can’t  fathom how this is legal to insure some one 3rd party and not pay the cost of repairs, when that person causes and accident. They have the police report etc. 

I know this is Thailand but there has to be a line with somethings?

Ok, so it's not a write-off. Total estimate of repairs 43k. The other party is liable for the full amount. How he splits it between himself and his insurance is up to him and what coverage he has. You get the repairs done and let them pay in full. Not 70%, not 50%, not 90%. The full amount of costs until bike repaired completely. No point in arguing with him if he already was found responsible.

When some pickup knocked over one of my bikes, the dealer basically sent the bills directly to the other party's insurance and they had to cover it. I never even got into the money flow or argued about how much.

I’m not in contact with the van driver.

The insurance company was contacted to find out what was happening.....nothing!

I went to the garage the bike was retrieved by and they said we can not find any parts in Thailand, have to order from Europe. More scooter used parts in Asia than the rest of the world I’m sure so I had another “scooter repair” mechanic take the bike to his and he made the quotation. 

Note: Insurance company had done nothing and when contacted they said take photos, have the photos printed on A4 paper and bring to Chonburi city office - We do not accept photos by email!

So I did all this and they have contacted my partner with the 50% offer. At no time did I want anything to do with this. When I went I the office I asked why they don’t have a insurance assessor to do this. I was told this is Thailand you do.

I'm sure there's some kind of Vespa dealership somewhere that can give you a full and final quotation after paying them a bit to look over the whole bike. Send this to the insurance company and tell them you expect them to pay this in full. If not, then you have to refer this to the police. The 50% offer is something they might try but there's no reason you have to accept that. Why would you pay 50% of damages that someone else with insurance has caused?

The garage that gave the quotation is a vespa service garage. Anyway i will follow up with your advice, involving the police if they don't pay the full amount.

Appreciate your advice and info

Many Thanks

Just make sure that the quotation includes all import duties and shipping. That can make the price grow by 50%+ easily.

If you have first class insurance, I'd also talk to them. They could pay for it and then run after the other guys insurance to recover the costs.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well buy a Honda scoot next time.?

Just ordered a damaged side body fairing for my scoot today from a Honda dealer 300 baht. ?

Do you have 2.4 children too?

If the Vespa rider had First Class insurance this would be a moot point. His insurance company would handle all this.

Even if the bike is older, and First Class not available, Second Class Plus would fix his bike as the other party has agreed liability. And bike riders insurance would handle all payments. Yet another reason to buy good insurance.

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have 1st class on my other bikes that I tour on for that reason  but since this bike was just for the city and since i have Private International Health Cover, I didn't see the point. If i damaged the bike i can afford to mend the bike.

Hindsight is great thing canthai55

This post/thread is for advice on how to NOT get ripped off by a thai insurance company. When the blame is not mine claiming of my insurance i don't understand? There would be excess etc yeah? 

Anyway thats not the case so constructive advice only based on these circumstances, if you don't mind

59 minutes ago, Thelog said:

I didn't see the point.

When the blame is not mine claiming of my insurance i don't understand?

You don' t see the point ?

Constructive advice - buy First Class.

That is all you need to understand, unless you are a fluent Thai speaker and reader.

This is the Point.

I can not count the number of threads on TV in the last 15 years about Falang not having insurance, or adequate insurance, be it bike, car, accident, whatever -  and coming on this Forum asking for advice.

Whatever country you come from, insurance is insurance. The same block of companies underwrite most all policies around the world, so the rules are more or less the same.

Buy less than the best, be assured that your service by that company will also be less than the best.

As many have discovered - to their peril.

15 hours ago, JaiLai said:

His bike was a retro Vespa so book price is hard to determine...

I wonder how important that part is.

The insurance might argue like: We are not going to pay for new parts for an old bike.

I understand that you want your bike repaired and 100% paid for that repair. This is just about understanding why they don't want to pay the full amount.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I understand that you want your bike repaired and 100% paid for that repair. This is just about understanding why they don't want to pay the full amount.

Yeah right, all i want is the repairs done. Until the accident, this was a mint condition restoration so the damage caused by the accident is easy to determine. Mostly the work will be panel work with some good quality used parts. If they think the quotation is too high, I have no problem them getting the repairs done else where but to just say here is 50% is not fulfilling there policy of 3rd party cover to the vehicle that caused the accident. 

Its seems like standard policy in insurance companies to do this to the unfortunate people that are involved in accidents (they didn't cause), unable to have any more than the legal requirement to drive their vehicle. I'm not referring to myself, I didn't think the system was this bad (Lesson learned me) so I didn't look for 3rd party deluxe or whatever its called! Its a sham like many things, with this topic / thread I'll be happy if it helps someone else from the same happening to them. I mean isn't that what a forum is for ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The insurance might argue like: We are not going to pay for new parts for an old bike.

In that case, if the insured wanted it,  pay for an Agreed Value policy.

I hate buying insurance. Year after year, no claims, money down the drain ...

BUT - if you hit someone, or a vehicle, and the party is hospitalized, or the vehicle is worth 6 million baht, to not have an insurance policy in place to protect you from claims which can run into the millions of Baht - seems to me Idiotic.

As said above - 15 years hearing the same sob stories over and over again.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

As said above - 15 years hearing the same sob stories over and over again.

Sob story really, heres an idea don't get involved then Mr know-it-all ! Your so of topic with statements about having cover  incase you hit a 6 million baht car and hospitalising people. This is nothing to do with causing an accident and not being insured, its the complete opposite - genius  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, canthai55 said:

If the Vespa rider had First Class insurance this would be a moot point. His insurance company would handle all this.

Even if the bike is older, and First Class not available, Second Class Plus would fix his bike as the other party has agreed liability. And bike riders insurance would handle all payments. Yet another reason to buy good insurance.

What insurance company do you recommend? I need a new auto coverage.  I just had a bad experience with 1st class MSIG auto insurance. 

They are all just super duper service when they are signing you up and taking your money.  But when it comes to a claim is when they show their true colors. 

59 minutes ago, Thelog said:

This is nothing to do with causing an accident and not being insured, its the complete opposite - genius  

Yet it is you who are posting here how the insurance company will not fix your bike.

I do not have these problems, as I ensure I am covered.

Now I ask - who is the genius ?

5 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Yet it is you who are posting here how the insurance company will not fix your bike.

I do not have these problems, as I ensure I am covered.

Now I ask - who is the genius ?

But you admit that you haven't had claims. So in my opinion you are living in a fantasy world where you assume you have divine intervention with your almighty 1st class insurance.  You may be in for a surprise. 

Did anyone read the fine print? And that might be the fine print of the Thai laws and the Thai insurance.

I know in some civilized countries in this word the insurance would pay (has to) the whole repair.

In other countries it does not have to be that way. I.e. restrictions about "classic cars", etc.

And I wouldn't be surprised if in Thailand the guy responsible for that accident can argue (with the law on his side) that he damaged an old bike. 10 years old, 20% of the original value, something like that.

Like I said, I don't know the laws here. But assuming that the Thai law says they have to pay everything for any vehicle is unrealistic.

The insurance here is often a lot cheaper than in many other places in this word. There must be a reason for that...

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Like I said, I don't know the laws here.

Even buying a brand new car or bike here, I have yet to find any broker willing to replace 100%

90% seems to be the norm, and as the vehicle ages it comes down to 80%.

This has been my experience, even with bringing examples of bikes and cars for sale to the broker to display how much models like mine are selling for.