Getting into Bangkok from Suvarnabhumi Airport.

JimmyJ

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

You brought the joke in not me, but you still need to explain to me why anyone would have to pay more for something and will have to get ripped off. Nothing wrong with paying the correct price and the taxi and your AOT car will be equally fast. I get it that you don't worry about the expense, but i thought most people would hate it if they get ripped off. I am one of those. 

The answer to that question is another question.  How much is your peace of mind worth?  Is it worth getting into a kerfuffle on holiday over $3?  18 years in Asia has taught me that my serenity is more valuable than that.  But I can see where others may have different priorities.  To each, his own.

Let's face it, if I didn't want to get screwed out of a few bucks here and a few there, I wouldn't travel to one of the most corrupt places in the world.  But then, I'd be traveling to other places and paying $100 for a legal taxi from the airport to town...like in London (or Houston). 

Which kind of brings the discussion full circle.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

The answer to that question is another question.  How much is your peace of mind worth?  Is it worth getting into a kerfuffle on holiday over $3?  18 years in Asia has taught me that my serenity is more valuable than that.  But I can see where others may have different priorities.  To each, his own.

Let's face it, if I didn't want to get screwed out of a few bucks here and a few there, I wouldn't travel to one of the most corrupt places in the world.  But then, I'd be traveling to other places and paying $100 for a legal taxi from the airport to town...like in London (or Houston). 

Which kind of brings the discussion full circle.

Thing is, with a little information beforehand just like the guy tries to get here he does not get screwed over. You only get screwed over if you don't know what is normal. So I don't find it strange for the guy to ask before its called preparation and planning. 

You are of a different mind you just accept to be screwed over.. other people plan ahead and ask some thing ahead. Not that hard now with the internet and all. 

That being said I have been screwed over by taxi's in the past (doggy meter 2x the normal price did the ride often so i knew and a few times they did not want to turn on the meter but there were no other taxis so i accepted) did not always make trouble about it. But I do make sure they intend to turn on the meter before i get in unless there is no other choice then they win. The doggy meter in the end I my gf made a report about it as most people don't like to be cheated. (not sure if anything happend)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

It will range from 500 baht to 1500 baht meter or no meter.

In any event that is dirt cheap by international standards.

Why people see the need to nitpick over trivial amounts right at the start of the trip bewilders me.

London cabs wont leave heathrow for anything under 100 quid plus.

If saving 5 or 10 quid means a lot so be it.

For myself I just want to get out of the airport and to my hotel asap to get showered and changed asap.

1500 baht is a very small price to pay for a westerner

Incorrect and nonsence information. 

(1) It will range from 500 baht to 1500 baht meter or no meter. Wrong

(2) London cabs wont leave heathrow for anything under 100 quid plus. Wrong

If you are going to post on here at least try and get your facts right please.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Thing is, with a little information beforehand just like the guy tries to get here he does not get screwed over. You only get screwed over if you don't know what is normal. So I don't find it strange for the guy to ask before its called preparation and planning. 

You are of a different mind you just accept to be screwed over.. other people plan ahead and ask some thing ahead. Not that hard now with the internet and all. 

That being said I have been screwed over by taxi's in the past (doggy meter 2x the normal price did the ride often so i knew and a few times they did not want to turn on the meter but there were no other taxis so i accepted) did not always make trouble about it. But I do make sure they intend to turn on the meter before i get in unless there is no other choice then they win. The doggy meter in the end I my gf made a report about it as most people don't like to be cheated. (not sure if anything happend)

Where we differ there is the certainty that advance preparation and knowledge is a definitive defense against getting cheated.  Or at least having a dodgy vendor or taxi driver try it out on you. 

Personally, I'm of the opinion that it's actually physically hazardous to engage in an argument over a dodgy bill.  And noobs often don't understand just how hair trigger the locals can be if you accuse them -right or wrong- of cheating. 

And that's in addition to losing a little vacation time serenity each time I argue.  If it's $100, maybe it's worth it.  That's up to each individual.  But getting screwed out of $1-$3 has become like water off a duck to me, and certainly not worth getting upset about.  Hell, the stories I can tell the folks back home are worth more than that.  That said, I know other good people who take that kind of stuff very personally.  I don't. 

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Where we differ there is the certainty that advance preparation and knowledge is a definitive defense against getting cheated.  Or at least having a dodgy vendor or taxi driver try it out on you. 

Personally, I'm of the opinion that it's actually physically hazardous to engage in an argument over a dodgy bill.  And noobs often don't understand just how hair trigger the locals can be if you accuse them -right or wrong- of cheating. 

And that's in addition to losing a little vacation time serenity each time I argue.  If it's $100, maybe it's worth it.  That's up to each individual.  But getting screwed out of $1-$3 has become like water off a duck to me, and certainly not worth getting upset about.  Hell, the stories I can tell the folks back home are worth more than that.  That said, I know other good people who take that kind of stuff very personally.  I don't. 

Yes we differ, I think that preparation can help a lot.. it won't be fool proof but if you know what you need to pay you are far more protected. Strange that someone like you does not value information and education on issues you might come across. 

Your putting the bar down all the time for 3$ now 1$ to 3 $  while in reality double the fair would be more closer to 10$ not earth shattering but not as you downplay it all the time. 

Personally I think i got more balls than you if you feel that its dangerous to argue over a doggy bill or less sense one of either but like you been here for a while and pick my battles. Doing so in a bar at closing time with only employees could be dangerous.. calling someone out at the airport with officials and others near.. a lot less dangerous.

• Like 1

I see the old "why would anyone choose to get 'ripped off' by taking a B1,300 AOT Camry, rather than a B300 meter taxi" question / accusation has reared its head again.  I'll tell you why.  Most of my travel is for business.  I go to the AOT counter, put the fare on my company T&E card, sit back in a rear seat fitted with a seatbelt, no messing about with expressway queues or fees, and no need to stir until we reach my destination.  After a long, knackering overnight flight?  Priceless.

Edited by ballpoint

19 minutes ago, robblok said:

Personally I think i got more balls than you if you feel that its dangerous to argue over a doggy bill or less sense one of either but like you been here for a while and pick my battles. Doing so in a bar at closing time with only employees could be dangerous.. calling someone out at the airport with officials and others near.. a lot less dangerous.

My posts here are addressed to an OP who is apparently contemplating a first trip to Thailand.  Not to a long stay expat who has years of interacting with locals, speaks the language, and knows the signs that some kind of tipping point is being reached in an argument. 

You, yourself have acknowledged accepting being cheated when "it was your only option".  It's never the only option.  It may be the wisest option, compared to, for example, reaching your destination and then refusing to pay more than the legal amount.  I've read a few posts from keyboard warriors here on TVF advising foolishness like that.   And I shudder to think that some newbie may actually try it.

Someone with bigger balls than you and me may actually go that way.   I certainly wouldn't.  Nor would I advise the OP that way.  I have my line in the sand.  You have yours.  I don't think either of our lines are appropriate for a newbie like the OP.  

To be clear, the OP has gotten all the info he needs, so this is just a little banter between guys who talk smack all the time, but are actually not far apart on most issues.

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

Maybe there was a large taxi sign on the que machine at the airport that I missed seeing but in 50 plus trips from Swampy to Sukhumvit this has only happened to me once. 

And I always allow the driver to take the toll road which is an extra 25 baht plus 50 baht.  Anyone else try not going the toll road route from Sukhumvit soi 8? 

i flew in the other night and noticed some new signs by the queue/ticket machines, saying 'large taxi', 'regular taxi'.  so i think it is more clear now.  i don't remember seeing them before but my last couple trips i arrived during the day and took the airport link. 

if you are leaving the airport after 9pm, you don't really need the tollway.  you can take rama IX to petchaburi and then take a left on asoke, then right on sukhumvit to soi 8. (your post say 'from sukhumvit soi 8' but i assume you mean 'to').

Edited by buick
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, impulse said:

My posts here are addressed to an OP who is apparently contemplating a first trip to Thailand.  Not to a long stay expat who has years of interacting with locals, speaks the language, and knows the signs that some kind of tipping point is being reached in an argument. 

You, yourself have acknowledged accepting being cheated when "it was your only option".  It's never the only option.  It may be the wisest option, compared to, for example, reaching your destination and then refusing to pay more than the legal amount.  I've read a few posts from keyboard warriors here on TVF advising foolishness like that.   And I shudder to think that some newbie may actually try it.

Someone with bigger balls than you and me may actually go that way.   I certainly wouldn't.  Nor would I advise the OP that way.  I have my line in the sand.  You have yours.  I don't think either of our lines are appropriate for a newbie like the OP.  

To be clear, the OP has gotten all the info he needs, so this is just a little banter between guys who talk smack all the time, but are actually not far apart on most issues.

I don't think its that hard to take a ticket from the taxi meter line and get out when no meter is being used. Its quite straight forward to me even for a newbie.

Of course its never the only option, but I am not going to sit in a taxi that refuses to open a meter make a scene and trouble. That is not worth it. But the airport you got tickets and officials so its different there. Also at the airport they are generally always opening their meter if told to do so its not like in the lower sois of sukumvit. I would also not question a bar tab if I am drunk and there are only staff there. (would not get in that problem at all as i pay per few drinks how hard is it to do that)

Yes I agree its banter between us no problems at all between us still want to fish with you int he future. 

Go upstairs to departures. Walk out and go through the turnstile. There will be a taxi driver to help you. Tell him where you are going and "Chai meter dai mai" - "use the meter can?". I've never had one say no as they are grateful that they just dropped someone and get a return journey. If they say no just wait. They all want a return fair. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, swoods58 said:

Go upstairs to departures. Walk out and go through the turnstile. There will be a taxi driver to help you. Tell him where you are going and "Chai meter dai mai" - "use the meter can?". I've never had one say no as they are grateful that they just dropped someone and get a return journey. If they say no just wait. They all want a return fair. 

Yes, I agree. I meant Departures in my post. The taxis are not allowed to stay there so when then 2nd one sees I turned down the first he oks the meter. Fast, easy. Just say "meter?".

Tell him "highway" and you pay the tolls.

Is that "Yes, meter can"?

• Like 1

Swampy to Nana on Wednesday morning at 0200....370 baht plus 70 baht on tolls with meter.

Other times Airport link and Bts from Phaya Thai I think was around 80-90 baht all up.

Limo service in a Camry 1200 baht. 

Which service I choose depends on time of arrival.  I've spent over 2 1/2 hours in a limo to get to Nana.  Train is around 50 minutes and a lot cheaper But no good after midnight.

Edited by tryasimight
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Swampy to Nana on Wednesday morning at 0200....370 baht plus 70 baht on tolls with meter.

Other times Airport link and Bts from Phaya Thai I think was around 80-90 baht all up.

Limo service in a Camry 1200 baht. 

Which service I choose depends on time of arrival.  I've spent over 2 1/2 hours in a limo to get to Nana.  Train is around 50 minutes and a lot cheaper But no good after midnight.

That is a perfect summary of options for anyone looking to answer the same question.

On 6/27/2018 at 3:40 PM, Wake Up said:

My only comment is once I got a cue ticket for a large taxi not a regular taxi. A large taxi is almost twice as expensive as a normal taxi. The taxi driver spoke English and told me about the meter rate difference between large and regular taxis and that I had chosen a large taxi que instead of a normal taxi que. I don’t know how I did that but in the future if I get a large taxi I am going to decline and get another taxi que. A 320 baht taxi ride to Sukhumvit soi 8 costs me 720 baht in a large taxi.  

That doesn’t sound right to me - I took a large cab back from the airport last weekend to lower Sukhumvit for 300+, same as my outward trip in a regular taxi. 

Can anyone confirm ?