Sharing expenses - am I being taken advantage of?

Longbow212

Myself and girlfriend are mid thirties no kids, together about a year. She earns around 35k a month, I earn nearly 3 times that. I pay for rent & bills plus meals out, food panda deliveries etc perhaps 30k total a month give or take plus the bulk of the expenses for weekends away etc. She does buy food in the soi for us sometimes e.g noodles etc. Been feeling a bit taken advantage of but also realise I’m the bigger earner and thought I’d give the relationship a chance and at some point expense would be shared a bit more relative to income. Then recently I planned a yearly trip back home for 2 weeks to visit family alone as she doesn’t have vacation days remaining, shes kicked up a fuss about me leaving her alone for 2 weeks and talking about quitting her job and asking me to pay for her to come along on the trip. I’ve pretty much decided to quit while ahead on this one but I’d be keen to hear from others out there on how you share expenses and if this looks as bad from your perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

it seemed kind of sweet that she was willing to leave her job

The only reason for this is that she knows/hopes that she would be taken care of. Why work if you don't have to?

• Like 1

By posting on here you must already feel you are being taken advantage of,I for one wants someone in my life not just for the financial benefits,try talking with her and explain that you feel she needs to contribute a little more if she is receptive to your ideas then fine...if not then you already know what U must do......good luck....:thumbsup:

• Like 2

if she wants to go then she has to pay her own airfares, my wife refuses to let me pay for her, we both put in money towards our monthly expenses too. What you need to do is work out exactly what you want, a live in companion or a partner, she needs to be up front whether she is only interested in having you pay her way. If she gives up her job then she will need you to pay her way totally and supply spending money for her. Be upfront and tell her you want to spend some time with your family by yourself, (my wife has no problems if I fly home for 2 weeks), if she kicks up a stink then she has a problem, sounds as if she wants more than simply bf/gf relationship, she wants total commitment

Edited by seajae

• Calculate how much it would approx. cost for the trip (ticket, expenses abroad etc.)
  • Proportionately estimate what you would spend and then calculate what % that amount represents on your salary.
  • Take that % and calculate with her salary to get how much it represents explain to her, and ask her to contribute that amount. You could always play Mr Prince and pay for her Visa fee.
  • Under no circumstances make her leave her job as there could be chances she will put in on your face later and expect you to fully maintain her. Not saying she is like that, but why take the risk ?
  • Have a nice trip...

30 minutes ago, murraynz said:

this is 2018 not  1930...what about equality ??

you are correct though---lots of women{especaialy thai} seem to think that they have an 'entitlement'

yes, of course, you would like to think that but I think this is a pre-historic trait and it is going to take some time...

my wife in USA had that too... As a business owner, I split all profits with her 50/50... all expenses were paid from my 50%.. that was fair to her... it is not just Thai... and my limited experience, a wife in each culture, my Thai wife is not that way... [as much so] 

My wife earns slightly more than your gf.

I earn less than you (times are tough).

I think you are being taken advantage of since you pay for rent.

What I get from my wife: Free accommodation, free internet, free electric and free healthcare. Sometimes she will also season her money for my marriage visa - depending on her mood ?

In return I pay every time we go out (not often - she prefers to eat her cheap Thai food) and will pay for trips. Me 44 Wife 38.

Use it strictly as a reference point. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

My wife earns slightly more than your gf.

I earn less than you (times are tough).

I think you are being taken advantage of since you pay for rent.

What I get from my wife: Free accommodation, free internet, free electric and free healthcare. Sometimes she will also season her money for my marriage visa - depending on her mood ?

In return I pay every time we go out (not often - she prefers to eat her cheap Thai food) and will pay for trips. Me 44 Wife 38.

Use it strictly as a reference point. 

If that works for you then great. I would be ashamed in that situation.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

If she earns 30+k I'd expect there's big lump of provident fund if she quits, ask her how much of that she's willing to spend on the 'holiday'

but if she quits, the chance of getting visa to 'back home' is worse with less reason to return to Thailand

3 hours ago, maximillian said:

Your income is nearly 35.000 x 3, so approx. 100.000 Baht and your gf has her own income.

So you don't need to give her any money (allowance, pocketmoney) then ? 

You are so lucky but a cheapskate.

Let go, be generous, it feels better.

Pocket money? Allowance?

Surely it must be time for you to stop treating women like children.

Unless she is staying home looking after your children, you've got the wrong idea.

1 minute ago, CLW said:

Where the problem?
Probably he lives with his wife in her or the family's house that exists already.
Why would you build another house or waste money just to show off "I'm the big earning farang. Everyone look at me how rich I am"
Some people here seriously have an ego problem...

Yeah, not sure why it would be a problem for me. I suppose i like to be independent and take care of my own affairs, finances etc and not rely on anyone else. Probably a bit old fashioned. You can want your own condo etc without it being needed to show off!